Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #61
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Sorry Sliver, I just don't get wanting the kids to go loiter around somewhere. The last thing I want to deal with when I patronize a business are a group of kids just hanging around.
They're not loitering; they're socializing at a coffee shop. They would be doing what you're supposed to do when you go to a coffee shop.

Do you also not understand why people loiter at movie theaters for two hours at a time?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #62
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry Sliver, I just don't get wanting the kids to go loiter around somewhere. The last thing I want to deal with when I patronize a business are a group of kids just hanging around.
That's right. Get these kids back onto their video games, iPads, and social media so we can complain about them being on their video games, iPads, and social media.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #63
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Imagine walking into a coffee shop for a takeout coffee and getting upset because there are teens sitting in the seats you're not going to use instead of adults.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #64
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Teenagers GMG as well, but if they're spending money then they have every right to be there. If their money isn't as good as your money then I dare you to explain that to the owner and see how that goes, unless you're spending more as an individual than an entire group of people.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #65
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Imagine walking into a coffee shop for a takeout coffee and getting upset because there are teens sitting in the seats you're not going to use instead of adults.
Or going to a coffee shop with friends hoping to grab a drink and snack and chat only to find all the tables are being hogged by teens (or anyone really) who have been sitting around for hours nursing a single cup of coffee.

When I was in my younger years Higher Ground in Kensington was the worst for this. People would sit there for hours with a single drink or food item while people walking through the door would struggle to find a place to sit and many times would just leave.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:32 AM   #66
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Or going to a coffee shop with friends hoping to grab a drink and snack and chat only to find all the tables are being hogged by teens (or anyone really) who have been sitting around for hours nursing a single cup of coffee.

When I was in my younger years Higher Ground in Kensington was the worst for this. People would sit there for hours with a single drink or food item while people walking through the door would struggle to find a place to sit and many times would just leave.
Sorry, guess you shouldn't try to loiter.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #67
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, but what is the actual profit margin on a cup of coffee? Like, 5000%? For that I think a nice place with a comfy couch to enjoy it isn't too much to ask.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #68
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Yeah, but what is the actual profit margin on a cup of coffee? Like, 5000%? For that I think a nice place with a comfy couch to enjoy it isn't too much to ask.
Very true and a place to sit should be afforded to all the customer. The issue becomes that some customers overstay or monopolize (loiter) the limited capacity that establishments have available which drives business away potentially.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #69
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very true and a place to sit should be afforded to all the customer. The issue becomes that some customers overstay or monopolize (loiter) the limited capacity that establishments have available which drives business away potentially.
Rock and hard place. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Reputation for allowing loitering at tables means loss of business. Reputation for hustling customers out to make room for more means loss of business.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #70
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the sense that Silver's kids don't come from a broken home and are probably not troublemakers.

I would imagine if he's encouraging them to go to a cafe, they either have money of their own or he's giving them a few bucks himself so they don't just loiter at a place of business and cause disruption.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #71
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

How would one know, as a customer, if a group of teens has been loitering for hours unless they too had been loitering for hours?
Old 09-12-2022, 12:10 PM   #72
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
lol, some of you are off your rocker. Like, my kids and their friends aren't bums. They'll order the dumbest, most overpriced drinks possible with the most syrup, sugar and whipped cream. You don't get free refills on those. They'll also order a huge stupid piece of overpriced cake or something as well. Then they'll stay a while, get hungry and thirsty again, and spend more.

I think you weirdos are confusing teenagers going to a coffee shop with the old men who sit in A&W and literally just order one seniors coffee and then get half a dozen free refills over the next two hours.

Coffee shops have to love regular customers. Aren't most businesses reliant on repeat customers?

And not liking teenagers? That's wild to me. They're the most fun age ever. I love being around them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #73
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've spent 5+ hours at a Starbucks on multiple occasions doing work on a laptop. Do you view me (businessman) in the same light as teens who might be there 1-2 hours?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #74
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I've spent 5+ hours at a Starbucks on multiple occasions doing work on a laptop. Do you view me (businessman) in the same light as teens who might be there 1-2 hours?
If you are sitting there for hours and not repeatedly buying things than yes I consider you to be loitering. If you are buying something every hour or so that is fine.

The same goes for any type of establishment whether it be a coffee shop, dine in restaurant, bar/pub or whatever. There is an expectation that you get served, consume in a reasonable amount of time and move on so that other customers can do the same. If you aren't continuously consuming then your time has to expire at some point.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #75
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Well if you've purchased one coffee and sat there for 5 hours, yes, kinda; You have certainly overstayed your welcome. At least you are being quite and not annoying anyone else. But it is Starbucks so who GAF?
Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #76
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, some of you are off your rocker. Like, my kids and their friends aren't bums. They'll order the dumbest, most overpriced drinks possible with the most syrup, sugar and whipped cream. You don't get free refills on those. They'll also order a huge stupid piece of overpriced cake or something as well. Then they'll stay a while, get hungry and thirsty again, and spend more.

I think you weirdos are confusing teenagers going to a coffee shop with the old men who sit in A&W and literally just order one seniors coffee and then get half a dozen free refills over the next two hours.

Coffee shops have to love regular customers. Aren't most businesses reliant on repeat customers?

And not liking teenagers? That's wild to me. They're the most fun age ever. I love being around them.
Your kids might go to the shop and blow $20 on coffee and dessert but will their friends? Or will they send a message to meet at X shop and suddenly there are 10 or 12 teens taking up three tables with only a few contributing to the business by purchasing something.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #77
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don't mind the kids and their friends hanging around our house.

You get to know them and can weed out the dicks pretty quickly.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #78
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OMG, they both have passes at Trico and are there working out everyday.

Guys...I wasn't looking for tips and tricks on how to raise kids. Was looking for suggestions on local coffee shops. WTF is with this train wreck of a thread.
Maybe you should get the kids to volunteer down at the Drop In Centre?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #79
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Your kids might go to the shop and blow $20 on coffee and dessert but will their friends? Or will they send a message to meet at X shop and suddenly there are 10 or 12 teens taking up three tables with only a few contributing to the business by purchasing something.
I'm just not sure what coffee shops you've been to where that happens. Before turning 18, my friends and I did coffee shops as our thing to do. These kids can't go to bars and clubs, but everyone likes hanging out in vibrant and/or chill public places, so coffee shops are a great go-to for this age.

I think you don't like this concept based on your ignorant and made-up scenario. You couldn't have made a better strawman if you had a 1/4 section of land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I actually don't mind the kids and their friends hanging around our house.

You get to know them and can weed out the dicks pretty quickly.
Oh totally, I love that as well. I just like to see them do and experience a range of things. Lately I've felt like we've "done" our house enough and I thought they might have a good time with a change of scenery. They're also my ticket to discovering new and good music, so I want to send them out to cool places to find some stuff for me.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #80
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe you should get the kids to volunteer down at the Drop In Centre?
Haha, yeah, they're a little too close to being chips off the old block for that one to fly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: