Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2024, 10:40 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Kraken 4 Flames 2

Kraken 4 Flames 2

- Flames terrible in the first
- Kuzmenko with two goals
- Shorthanded tally for Seattle in the third puts it away
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:43 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Pospisil, I mentioned this in the GT, but I would entertain selling high on him if there is a team out there that is high on him. I think long-term he's a bottom 6 or 4th line player, and the concussion issues worry me.
If a team places value on him, as part of a package for a player with potential to be higher in the line-up - I look at it. Not dissimilar to what they did with Ferland.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 03-04-2024 at 10:46 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 07:10 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
On Pospisil, I mentioned this in the GT, but I would entertain selling high on him if there is a team out there that is high on him. I think long-term he's a bottom 6 or 4th line player, and the concussion issues worry me.
If a team places value on him, as part of a package for a player with potential to be higher in the line-up - I look at it. Not dissimilar to what they did with Ferland.
I agree for the most part.

I like the player, but when the Flames get rolling in a retooled form it's not hard to pick four wingers that have more upside than him for the top two lines.

He could become more of a depth, energy guy.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:13 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Flames drop 9% last night to 18% chance.
Knights the new target by percentages.

Flames need to go 15-5-1 or .738 to get to 96 points.

Locks
Canucks 100%
Stars 100%
Jets 100%
Avalanche 99%
Oilers 99%

3 teams 3 spots
Kings 82%
Predators 78%
Golden Knights 67%

Leading bubble team
Blues 39%

Best of the rest
Flames 18%

Over
Kraken 10%
Wild 8%

Long over
Coyotes 0%
Blackhawks 0%
Ducks 0%
Sharks 0%
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. He is however one of the guys that’s fun to watch right now. I agree with Jiri’s argument but I also shiver at the thought of watching this team next headlined by Huberdeau and a disinterested Kadri.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:53 AM   #6
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I do enjoy Pospisil, but there's no way he can keep these energy levels up for like 3 seasons. Plus there's a few of these majors where the league will look to send a message to him. But he's a guy who tends to bring energy most every night, so it's a delicate balance for how long you ride that out.

Skill only hockey doesn't win in the playoffs. You need to be a bit greasy at that time of year and he's like Ville Niemenen.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 AM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the argument on Pospisil, but I disagree for a few reasons:

1) you'd get very little for him (other GMs see what we see)
2) the team is playing 3 inches taller with him in the lineup
3) they are still butter-soft with him, without him they would be baby poo
4) it sends a terrible message to the team

It's one thing to trade UFAs - no team, and no room understands this better then Calgary - but it's another to trade a young guy who comes in and gives the team a huge boost, like he has. Just look at the Flames' record with him and without him - of course that isn't all because of him, the the 'playing taller' thing is definitely a factor.

Think about what Kadri's reaction would be - is that worth a 3rd or 4th round pick?

If you can include him in a larger trade ("they demanded that we include him"), then maybe. But I would be very careful on that front, unless some team blew my socks off (which isn't going to happen).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 08:07 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I get the argument on Pospisil, but I disagree for a few reasons:

1) you'd get very little for him (other GMs see what we see)
2) the team is playing 3 inches taller with him in the lineup
3) they are still butter-soft with him, without him they would be baby poo
4) it sends a terrible message to the team

It's one thing to trade UFAs - no team, and no room understands this better then Calgary - but it's another to trade a young guy who comes in and gives the team a huge boost, like he has. Just look at the Flames' record with him and without him - of course that isn't all because of him, the the 'playing taller' thing is definitely a factor.

Think about what Kadri's reaction would be - is that worth a 3rd or 4th round pick?

If you can include him in a larger trade ("they demanded that we include him"), then maybe. But I would be very careful on that front, unless some team blew my socks off (which isn't going to happen).
Yeah I think the notion is selling high.

If someone Reto Berra'd him then move him (2nd round pick). If it's a 4th don't bother.

If someone values him in a bigger trade that gets it over the finish line ... consider it.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #9
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see any value in getting rid of him unless some team has a hard on for him as a throw in at the deadline in order to sweeten the pot for the return on a hanifin or markstrom deal.

He needs to get his head around playing with an edge and not crossing the line though. There is no place to be running guys head first into the boards multiple times in a game. Hope he gets a few games and learns a lesson here.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:17 AM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Seems like the consensus on CP has been to draft and develop guys with the dearth of picks the last decade or so.

Now they do this with Pospisil and graduate him to the big club as a guy who does a lot of good things at a very minimal cost.....and some want to get rid of him in his first year doing so?

Weird strategy that sends a terrible message to the young guys that have come through the growth pains with him.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:21 AM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, no one is saying "get rid of him". The concept was selling high on him if a team places high value on the player.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:25 AM   #12
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, no one is saying "get rid of him". The concept was selling high on him if a team places high value on the player.
1) it doesn't matter what you call it, the result - and the message to the team - is the same
2) what do you think someone might pay?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea.
Geez the concept was simply this
- He's likely not an up in the line up player for this team long-term
- As he moves down the line-up his impact and production will fall, and so will his potential trade value
- Therefore if there is a team particularly high right now on him, including as part of a larger package where better pieces can be acquired - you should look at it.

That's it. That's all.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:31 AM   #14
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
OK....but is it "selling high" if he is only in his first season, which he is?

What if he pops more offensively as he gets more comfortable?

In that case you are actually selling low.

All it costs to find out is essentially a bit over league min. and some patience.

If he is someone that gets you over the line on a substantial deal....then sure, i guess.

Just seems counter intuitive to deal a young guy like him when thats what so many have been clamoring for the club to do in the D&D department.

I will say though, if he insists on playing on the edge the way he has been, he better be ready to throw down at some point and at least defend himself, because somewhere at some point, he is going to start getting haymakers coming at him.

I suspect his coaches had a chat after the game last night and his likely suspension will maybe get into his psyche for good.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No idea.
Geez the concept was simply this
- He's likely not an up in the line up player for this team long-term
- As he moves down the line-up his impact and production will fall, and so will his potential trade value
- Therefore if there is a team particularly high right now on him, including as part of a larger package where better pieces can be acquired - you should look at it.

That's it. That's all.
Yes, and people are responding with their thoughts. Why is that a problem?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes, and people are responding with their thoughts. Why is that a problem?
Not a problem but I think some are mis-interpreting my original point.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #17
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
OK....but is it "selling high" if he is only in his first season, which he is?

What if he pops more offensively as he gets more comfortable?

In that case you are actually selling low.

All it costs to find out is essentially a bit over league min. and some patience.

If he is someone that gets you over the line on a substantial deal....then sure, i guess.

Just seems counter intuitive to deal a young guy like him when thats what so many have been clamoring for the club to do in the D&D department.

I will say though, if he insists on playing on the edge the way he has been, he better be ready to throw down at some point and at least defend himself, because somewhere at some point, he is going to start getting haymakers coming at him.

I suspect his coaches had a chat after the game last night and his likely suspension will maybe get into his psyche for good.
I guess it depends on how you project the player. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the best season he ever has. I don't think he has the skill to play up in the lineup. It's a great story, but long-term I just don't see it.

And yeah the physicality part worries me because of the concussion issues. Which means he can't fight (everyone knows my feelings on fighting so wont' go into them here, except to say I understand the problems with a guy that rides the line like he does, but won't back it up).

Again just reminds me of Ferland.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #18
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a problem but I think some are mis-interpreting my original point.
I don't think anyone is mis-interpreting anything, its a discussion
Old 03-05-2024, 09:11 AM   #19
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agree on his skill level but I disagree on him dropping to the fourth line.
I think that lines need to have a blend of skills that each player brings.
What Pospisil brings to the Kadri line helps to open up space and give the other two players some extra time. He has the skills and speed to play with them.

Might be old school philosophy but I prefer lines that have some setup skill, a finisher, and a bit of a grinder that can help in the corners, be a defensive conscious, and go to the front of the net.

Bossy - Trottier - Gillies
Shutt - Mahovlich - Lafleur
Patterson - Gilmour - Mullen
Roberts - Nieuwendyk - Look

I think that Pospisil brings the needed elements to bring to help build a line like this.

That said, there is no one on the Flames that I would not trade for a home run return.
Which I think was Jiri's original point.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:18 AM   #20
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Pospisil has a lot more to offer similar to Marchand if he can tone down the hits from behind and keep working on his offensive game. Hopefully he can avoid a career ending concussion. I disagree with selling high on him because he brings energy to the team and they seem to feed off of him. People are getting trade happy around here lol.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote