Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #241
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Cut the Mod talk,

By speculating who the Mod is you reveal clues of if you are or aren’t the Mod.

Biz should know this so it feels like Mod fishing
This particular post makes me think GGG is a townie. He was the first one to bring up this point which is quite solid.

The mod will always be a mafia target, and it can help the mafia narrow down who they should target.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #242
Guest1

Would taking a look at who posted later in the day on the first day, be beneficial? Maybe the grease balls were too busy chatting about their plan of attack with each other to say anything?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #243
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he was mafia, he could have let the speculation keep going on, to help weed out those who aren't the mods. Bringing an end to that discussion is not a move I would expect a mafia to make.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #244
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doubtful, we got the PM day of, there was a few of us who didn't even see the game had started for several hours-a whole day later. I was even on the boards at work when the koskinen news broke and didn't notice a PM notification
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #245
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

GGG's one of the most experienced here from what I gather though, if I were a confident Vet going into this against half a dozen rookies I'd probably do the same to avert attention from myself and just bank on my wherewithal to make up for the lost opportunity. It's a move that's good PR, but probably didn't actually change the outcome of anything as I doubt even the rookies here were going to out themselves as the mod day 1
Old 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #246
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is not about outing yourself as a mod. I doubt anyone does that until they have solid proof on who the mafia are. It is the reverse.

By their posts trying to directly help mods, townies can lead mafia towards knowing that they are not a mod and it can make mafia's job a tad bit easier to locate the mod. It might just reduce the possibilities.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #247
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Curious to this statement from GGG. Yes, it would suck on a personal level to be a new player and get banned on the first day, but the reality is that two people are going to be banned on the first day - one through our voting and one through the night phase.

The blanket statement "don't ban a new player on day 1" just seems a bit off. Good Oiler play would be to get more experienced players out first who might start to recognize patters or styles of play. We only have so many chances to get Oilers, so cutting out a group of people for a possible ban on day 1 just doesn't make sense. I know there is not a lot to go on during the first day, but telling everyone "leave the new people around" just sounds scummy.

GGG - is there any real reason for this statement? Your comment that a new player in the trolls will become obvious in time really has no substance to it. Maybe some of the new players end up being the strongest ones - it's impossible to know at this point.
I think good Oiler play in this particular split is to lynch the new players and night kill the strong the players. Trying to lynch a veteran player successfully whether we were correct or not on other games was difficult and when we were wrong about them being scum it then put you in the cross hairs for being an advocate for lynching them.

Instead if you lynch a new player it’s pretty simple to say he didn’t post much or made some awkward mistake to point to why you did it. So it’s much easier to keep a low profile and lynch new or quiet players

I also think I will get more solid reads from the new players over time then I will from Vets who are actively disguising voting history. Especially the ones who at this point have been targeted for being low posters. They might learn the game very quickly and be very strong but I think there will be mistakes made on the way that become clear.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #248
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
It is not about outing yourself as a mod. I doubt anyone does that until they have solid proof on who the mafia are. It is the reverse.

By their posts trying to directly help mods, townies can lead mafia towards knowing that they are not a mod and it can make mafia's job a tad bit easier to locate the mod. It might just reduce the possibilities.
I see your point, but again this seems manufactured to me

the participants in that convo were Hockey/Biz/Sebc and GGG. All vets talking about something that even I knew not to bring up?

Feels off to me
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #249
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Not that I can see, and for some reason GGG/HG didn't question it at all while questioning more or less every other vote. Seb originally voted for GGG, GGG originally voted Hockey and Hockey originally voted me

/extraoveranalyzed
I am letting SebC play his own game this time. He plays close to the vest to confuse the trolls and stay ahead of them and doesn’t like to share is reasons unless he absolutely has to. I don’t want to derail day 1 with it. Based on the previous play I took his vote as a passive aggressive stab at our arguments last game so didn’t bother to respond.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #250
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This particular post makes me think GGG is a townie. He was the first one to bring up this point which is quite solid.

The mod will always be a mafia target, and it can help the mafia narrow down who they should target.
I replied to this in post #50 when GGG brought it up.

I'm clever enough to have that discussion to throw someone off the trail if I'm the mod, and so are HG and Seb. I don't think the grease can take any actual information from that discussion, and it might be helpful if the mod happens to be a new player.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #251
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post

Who was that really aggressive player in past games that would just tear into people?
I think that was Oling...
Old 01-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #252
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

votes: scornfire
Old 01-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #253
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been going back through all the posts for a while now and I as of right now my suspicion is Bonded is an Oilers fan. Post #19 he is the first one to mention something from the PM posts, the Conn Smythe award. In that same post he suggests a random number generator before the game even gets started and we can get a read on things. At post #69 (giggety) he throws a vote on bizaro86. Either this is a deflection vote and bizaro and him are both Greasers or he is targeting a vet poster. Post #79 bizaro86 points out it is interesting he mentions the Conn Smythe. He adds in the fact about Bennett which got me a bit suspicious so I bring it up that it seems weird posters would mention this in post #81. We don't here from Bonded for a while until he pops back in post #193 with a weak reason to change his vote. Post #194 to unvote bizaro and post #195 vote for Agulati.
Post #234 he posts a I am a newbie post but overplays it with his "I am confused what the hammer is"

For my first vote I am betting Bonded is a poser and an actual Oiler fan. I am just not quite sure if bizaro is one as well.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #254
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vote: Bonded
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #255
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think that was Oling...
I get the same sense that Scorned has a similar posting style.

I was thinking how ####ed we would be if GGG, HG and Biz were Coiler fans....
Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #256
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mean, it's right there in the name, can't accuse me of false advertising *Nod*
Old 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #257
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have been going back through all the posts for a while now and I as of right now my suspicion is Bonded is an Oilers fan. Post #19 he is the first one to mention something from the PM posts, the Conn Smythe award. In that same post he suggests a random number generator before the game even gets started and we can get a read on things. At post #69 (giggety) he throws a vote on bizaro86. Either this is a deflection vote and bizaro and him are both Greasers or he is targeting a vet poster. Post #79 bizaro86 points out it is interesting he mentions the Conn Smythe. He adds in the fact about Bennett which got me a bit suspicious so I bring it up that it seems weird posters would mention this in post #81. We don't here from Bonded for a while until he pops back in post #193 with a weak reason to change his vote. Post #194 to unvote bizaro and post #195 vote for Agulati.
Post #234 he posts a I am a newbie post but overplays it with his "I am confused what the hammer is"

For my first vote I am betting Bonded is a poser and an actual Oiler fan. I am just not quite sure if bizaro is one as well.
Agreed. As soon as I posted about newbies and asking questions in the main forum as opposed to mafia forum, if they are mafia, bonded comes up with a "newbie" question to play the part. That, along with no solid reasoning other than piling on to vote for me, and I am leaning towards bonded being a mafia now, and I am going to vote for him.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #258
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vote: Bonded
Old 01-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #259
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well I am happy people are coming around to my townie status, I am sad that my newness is that obvious. I am open to changing my vote to consensus with the town but my thoughts are still with my original vote and Scornfire now as the reasoning I read is compelling.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #260
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will leave my vote for now as WinnipegFan is not in any danger of being lynched, good to see him responding. If we can come to a consensus on who to lynch I will change my vote then. This game seems tougher because normally it is the same experienced players but with those new to the game it makes it harder to get a read. Are they playing the way they are because they are trying to learn or are they hiding behind the newbie card to protect their greasy asses? It is a pretty good bet at least one is doing exactly that.
So Diss starts banging the new player drum assuming without evidence that their is scum amoungst the new players. The only people who know the breakdown are scum

Quote:

I'm more concerned about those who are either attacking without merit or piling on without merit.
New players do this not scum but sets up his later post on whatever new player does this

Quote:
^Mrkajz, I have to say I agree on that statement. There has to be further reasoning to not Lynch/ban a new player other than them being simply "new".
For me personally,
Fuzz - His questions were too newbie. He could have asked them easily in the mafia forum, but he asked them here. He could have been playing us the whole time. So far I don't think so, and I think he is town.
WinnipegFan - I don't get the general vibe of him being a mafia, so leaning towards town for now. I voted for him, as stated previously, to get him to contribute. He did so and I removed my vote once he did.
Scorn - His posts come out a bit too defensive. I would think for a newbie, the other mafia might be coaching him to take it easy and not get too defensive, but since he has continued to be a bit aggressive, I'm leaning towards town again.
Bonded - I'm not sure about him yet. His vote just seems to be piling on to your vote which can be a newbie ploy but can also be a mafia ploy.
In response to MrKs post on how new players shouldn’t be exempt agulati does the reverse only evaluating new players and starts to pick which one he is going to lynch.

Quote:

Solid logic and fits the nartive that he built all day.

Quote:
Agreed. As soon as I posted about newbies and asking questions in the main forum as opposed to mafia forum, if they are mafia, bonded comes up with a "newbie" question to play the part. That, along with no solid reasoning other than piling on to vote for me, and I am leaning towards bonded being a mafia now, and I am going to vote for him.
And Agulati try’s to get the wagon going with second quick vote in succession.