Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #21
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a close friend who suffers from cluster/migraine headaches - so much so he had to go to the hospital emergency several times for a shot of pain meds. His doctor prescribed a beta blocker usually used to control high blood pressure (not sure which one), ever since then his headache frequency has gone from 2X/week to about 1 or 2 per year - and he doesn't have to worry about high blood pressure :-)
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Appreciate the replys. Some great stuff here. Have not heard d of half the ideas.

How hard is CBD oil to buy.

Have also tried taking Benadryl at night for sinus pain. Can’t say it has done much
I've had a similar issue with Benadryl, but outside of the super-drowsiness, note that it's main ingredient is diphenhydramine.

Reactine instead uses cetirizine, while Claratin contains loratadine.

Some people are very biologically particular to certain anti-histamines and get 0 effect from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Appreciate the replys. Some great stuff here. Have not heard d of half the ideas.

How hard is CBD oil to buy.

Have also tried taking Benadryl at night for sinus pain. Can’t say it has done much
Fairly easy. You need a prescription but can get one very easily at Natural Health Services. You can book an appointment online and usually see a Dr within 2 weeks. After your appointment they have people to help you get set up with a licensed producer(s) that best suit your needs. Then all you need to do is order online and it's delivered to your door.

Edit- alternatively there are plenty of less than legal websites where you can order all your marijuana needs and have it delivered via Canada Post.

Last edited by Grimbl420; 02-02-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #24
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
Fairly easy. You need a prescription but can get one very easily at Natural Health Services. You can book an appointment online and usually see a Dr within 2 weeks. After your appointment they have people to help you get set up with a licensed producer(s) that best suit your needs. Then all you need to do is order online and it's delivered to your door.

Edit- alternatively there are plenty of less than legal websites where you can order all your marijuana needs and have it delivered via Canada Post.
Just to add to this, there are a few shops in Calgary where you can buy CBD edibles without any prescriptions. Not sure about how potent they are though.

To the OP, if you do choose to look further into using CBD keep in mind it will only potentially help prevent migraines or reduce the severity, it won’t help to treat the actual pain when you do get a migraine. If you are also looking for a non pharmaceutical pain management option, maybe ask your doctor about whether or not high THC indica drops might be worth trying.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #25
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody else get a headache today? Seems like a lot of people at work got hit with one.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #26
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I was actually going to post an update to this thread, after deciding to take a very difficult approach to dealing with Migraines.

I gave up painkilers. All of them.

Since February 4th, I have not taken so much as an Advil. I decided that my body was addicted to the painkillers, and the daily headaches I was getting, was a rebound for years of Advil, Tylenol and other painkillers.

It has not been easy, at least at the start. Getting through the first couple weeks with nothing was the worst part. Lots of dark rooms, warm showers and cold ice packs. But since then, everything has been changing. My body seems to be holding off the headaches more and more, sometimes a couple weeks in between. They also seem less severe, although still brutal. I've also started drinking about 2x more water.

This was the first step for me. Breaking the cycle of painkillers, and so far it has been been okay.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #27
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ I guess that means you didn’t have a headache today.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #28
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually going to post an update to this thread, after deciding to take a very difficult approach to dealing with Migraines.

I gave up painkilers. All of them.

Since February 4th, I have not taken so much as an Advil. I decided that my body was addicted to the painkillers, and the daily headaches I was getting, was a rebound for years of Advil, Tylenol and other painkillers.

It has not been easy, at least at the start. Getting through the first couple weeks with nothing was the worst part. Lots of dark rooms, warm showers and cold ice packs. But since then, everything has been changing. My body seems to be holding off the headaches more and more, sometimes a couple weeks in between. They also seem less severe, although still brutal. I've also started drinking about 2x more water.

This was the first step for me. Breaking the cycle of painkillers, and so far it has been been okay.
Not migraines, but I had a headache for two weeks straight that just ended the other day. Diagnosed as a tension headache, and was in a similar boat as you with too many painkillers. I had never heard of the rebound headache until I went to the ER because I thought my head was caving in with the pain. It's hard to believe that too many advil could be causing rebound headaches, such a backwards thing to consider. Good on you for figuring out what may be causing your headaches.
Jbo
Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #29
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel for you all that have had to endure ongoing migraines. I don't get them often but when I do the only thing that seems to work for me is a good ol joint. I can tell when I'm going to get a migraine and if I'm not at work I can make sure I dont get one at all that way. I know everyone is different though, and my method may not be feasible or desirable. Have had friends use CBD oil with some success though too.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #30
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey jbo maybe some encouraging info here
New Drug Offers Hope to Millions With Severe Migraines https://nyti.ms/2GuY9MO
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #31
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Big bump.

Anybody else getting brutal headaches the last few days?
Old 12-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #32
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My wife picked me up Tylenol Ultra Relief w/ caffeine. It has been working really well. I've been an ibuprofen user for a long time so maybe it's the change to acetaminophen that's made a difference. Maybe it's the caffeine.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #33
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My wife picked me up Tylenol Ultra Relief w/ caffeine. It has been working really well. I've been an ibuprofen user for a long time so maybe it's the change to acetaminophen that's made a difference. Maybe it's the caffeine.
Ironic but i found taking caffeine completely out my diet has reduced my headaches significantly. You get a headache two days after your last coffee then the headaches are weaker.

Having said that, i still get the occasional bad headache. Much less though.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #34
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although atmospheric pressure changes do bring on headaches for many people, that's not the sole instigator. Aside from medical issues often ones lifestyle choices substantially contribute. I used to have many major migraines... improving my diet, which included removal of gluten & dairy, plus appropriate hydration got ride of 95% of my migraines. To be clear I did not arbitrarily go GF/DF, I had a medical reason. Subsequently my skin also cleared up, had better concentration/memory, and definitely better energy and endurance for sports.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #35
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had various kinds of migraines and headaches since I was 7. All of them - dull, sharp, cluster, front, back and sides. 400mg of Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin etc.) seems to help most of the time, not all the time. Acetaminophen doesn't work for me usually (I stopped trying). Stronger stuff (triptans) doesn't seem to help as well. It sucks. There is nothing scientifically proven to explain the nature of headaches conclusively. Just have to cope, I guess.

I did notice a very strong correlation to drops in atmospheric pressure. Just like today: I started feeling it around 11am and took an Advil preemptively.

https://weather.gc.ca/past_condition...yyc&view=graph
Old 12-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #36
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I've had various kinds of migraines and headaches since I was 7. All of them - dull, sharp, cluster, front, back and sides. 400mg of Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin etc.) seems to help most of the time, not all the time. Acetaminophen doesn't work for me usually (I stopped trying). Stronger stuff (triptans) doesn't seem to help as well. It sucks. There is nothing scientifically proven to explain the nature of headaches conclusively. Just have to cope, I guess.

I did notice a very strong correlation to drops in atmospheric pressure. Just like today: I started feeling it around 11am and took an Advil preemptively.

Some folks do just seem to get more of them unfortunately, and some just live with it instead of figuring out the cause. For me certain perfumes give me instant migraines, as do specific foods.

I'd strongly recommend you go see a good Osteopath. And look at your diet with a good naturopath. If you poo-poo these ideas then you're doing yourself a disservice. I speak from personal experience.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:33 AM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend and I have migraines. As we got older the damn weather migraines settled in.

Two things we agree help far more than painkillers do.

1. Hydration. If we aren't downing like 2-3 litres of water a day and are downing closer to 2-3 cups a day, we find we are not going to have a good time.

2. Posture. Chiro/physio were temporary for her and I. We both agreed that there was something corrective about doing hot yoga sessions that helped us be migraine free for weeks on end when we were doing it religiously. Both she and I got lazy and stopped the yoga and the migraines creeped back in. Ergonomics is another. Not just office stuff, but things like sitting on a wallet for hours affect it too.

3. Alcohol was a trigger for both of us. We'd get headaches while drinking and awful hangovers the next day.

I used to get some effects with a foam roller and rolling wheel, but they stopped working. Massage gun can get some temporary relief, but not enough that a longer term solution is better IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #38
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

Definetely the weather has an impact on headaches. Just about the only time i get them is during chinooks. You also hear others talking about headaches a lot more during chinooks.
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Definetely the weather has an impact on headaches. Just about the only time i get them is during chinooks. You also hear others talking about headaches a lot more during chinooks.
High pressure days crush me. I have the Windy app and I am always checking the pressure to try and act before I get a migraine. Most days if I get one, and am not sure why, I’ll check and sure enough we will be in a high pressure system.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #40
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
High pressure days crush me. I have the Windy app and I am always checking the pressure to try and act before I get a migraine. Most days if I get one, and am not sure why, I’ll check and sure enough we will be in a high pressure system.
Windy app has got to be the best weather app out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post: