Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #481
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't sound like Ambrosie and the players are on the same page...

“I want to be clear in response to Mr. Ambrosie’s comments during a recent interview. The CFLPA has not received concrete ideas regarding a 2020 collective agreement from the CFL, as promised, nor concrete direction about opportunities for a 2020 season. I am dismayed that the CFL has stated otherwise,” Ramsay wrote.

“This is about the lives of CFL players and their families. It remains obvious that there is much work to be done in strengthening the relationship between the CFLPA and CFL. We will continue to talk with our members while we wait for information from the CFL – as we have for the past 10-plus weeks.”

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/11/c...andy-ambrosie/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #482
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you plame the CFLPA for not being on the same page as the Randy Ambrosie clown show? It seems like everytime he opens his mouth he makes the league look more foolish. He needs to join Kavis Reed on the outside of the league and take his stupid CFL 2.0 with him. The league simply doesn't have the strong leadership required to navigate the difficult waters of this pandemic and they are running the risk of sinking the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #483
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrug View Post
Question for season ticket holders. Has anyone requested a refund, either partial or full and how did it go?
Have you heard anything on this yet? I will be anxious to get my money back ASAP if there is no season.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #484
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Beyond the fact 3rd Down Nation is how basically a tabloid website, it sounds to me like nothing more than typical posturing from the PA.

I don’t see how anyone can blame Ambrosie. He’s been a fine commish.

Why is anyone taking Ramsay at face value? You don’t think the PA has something to gain?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #485
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Beyond the fact 3rd Down Nation is how basically a tabloid website, it sounds to me like nothing more than typical posturing from the PA.

Why is anyone taking Ramsay at face value? You don’t think the PA has something to gain?
I think the PA is upset with Ambrosie because he is not including them in important conversations. The initial proposal that Ambrosie did to the House of Commons asking for 30 million initially and potentially up to 150 million was done without player consultation. Having a player rep like Ramsay or Elimimian alongside Ambrosie presenting a united front would have sent a strong message, in my opinion. There are also reports that the House of Commons members felt Ambrosie wasn't very well prepared for the meeting.

I also think players are frustrated because Ambrosie hasn't been very decisive. Commissioners of other leagues such as the NHL, NBA, MLS are moving forward with plans to either complete or start their season and all we've heard from Ambrosie is crickets. Players understandably want to know when a decision is going to be made.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1271126397143011328

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/c...ning-1.5608634
Old 06-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #486
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

He's quickly nearing disaster status. Attendance has been declining year over year, all coaches hate CFL 2.0, not punishing teams for exceeding the salary cap, CFLPA doesn't trust him, commitment to player safety has been embarrassing, screwed up the federal funding request. Worst of all was trying to fast track the Halifax team that has no stadium and no support which would have been a major mistake. It's mistake after mistake and the reality is that the league badly misses Mark Cohon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #487
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players are pissed (and I for one don't blame them) - Ambrosie has been twiddling his thumbs during COVID-19.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1272992243750776834
Old 06-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #488
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CFL imposes football operations cap reduction for 2021 season

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/15/c...r-2021-season/

Ambrosie doing more Ambrosie things. Player salary cap reduction is surely next.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #489
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Local news, specifically an update on BLM, er… Bo Levi Mitchell:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1272992604175523840

Thought this was noteworthy:

Quote:
+restructured contract to allow more team payroll space
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #490
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there's a very real chance that if the government doesn't bail the CFL out, the league will have to fold.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #491
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's quickly nearing disaster status. Attendance has been declining year over year, all coaches hate CFL 2.0, not punishing teams for exceeding the salary cap, CFLPA doesn't trust him, commitment to player safety has been embarrassing, screwed up the federal funding request. Worst of all was trying to fast track the Halifax team that has no stadium and no support which would have been a major mistake. It's mistake after mistake and the reality is that the league badly misses Mark Cohon.
Almost none of what you listed has anything to do with Ambrosie and are leftover from the Cohon era, yet strangely you praise him. And Cohon inherited them from the previous regime.

What do the players expect the league to do? It’s a worldwide goddamn pandemic. Most other leagues have been blowing hot air for months with their failed plans, bitter fighting over money, greedy owners trying to make money by risking players lives etc.

There’s not much for a league this small to do. They don’t have the billions to afford quarantines and tests and such.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #492
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's quickly nearing disaster status.
Quote:
Attendance has been declining year over year
This one is not just on him. No team, TSN, past commissioners have done much to get the youth involved. You can have high school players running the stands selling 50-50s but where is the young crowd? Tickets are over-priced. In game entertainment sucks. Youth wants technology, social media. What are they doing about that?

Quote:
All coaches hate CFL 2.0
Is that a fact or your own opinion? Listen I get folks not liking this global initiative but less and less Canadians are playing the sport, again youth not getting involved. You have Americans who can't wait to head back and give NFL another try. Its growing pains but in the long run it's something that will bring more talent to the CFL. Look at the NBA and how many Canadians are becoming top prospects, did you think that was going to happen in 1995? Germany is producing elite NHLers, did you think that was going to happen? This will eventually add talent.

Quote:
Not punishing teams for exceeding the salary cap
Agreed and the Territorial pick can go away at the same time. Argos had 4 picks in the top 20. Had they been punished and if there was no territorial pick, they likely would've only had 1. He dropped the ball on that one but seeing how attendance sucks in Toronto, making the team worse would've caused more issues. The league needs Toronto in the CFL or TSN will bail out.

Quote:
CFLPA doesn't trust him
What PA loves or trusts their commissioner? None.

Quote:
Commitment to player safety has been embarrassing
This goes back a long way. Time after time players have been let off and its not just Randy, its all of them.

Quote:
Screwed up the federal funding request
Agreed, went un-prepared to ensure CFL gets something before money runs out.

Quote:
Worst of all was trying to fast track the Halifax team that has no stadium and no support which would have been a major mistake.
Nah, the fans are there. Look at the HFX Wanderers FC, showed good numbers. The lacrosse team was in the middle of attendance table as well. The fans out there want a team, it even up the divisions. If Covid hadn't happened then it looked like it was on track. Now? likely another decade I'd say before anyone thinks about it.

He's not the best but he's not the worst either. CFL doesn't have the dollars to go in without a really well thought plan. They can't re-start and stop after few weeks. It's only going to work if all parties sit down and come up with a plan. There's no point in hiding info from each other, sooner or later it'll come out.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #493
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...rogatory-brand

Does anyone think the Edmonton Eskimos will change their name? I know this was talked about last year, but given the current social climate I think they would probably have to revisit this.
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #494
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton Elk and be done with it. Eskimos and Redskins need to go
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #495
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Edmonton Elk and be done with it. Eskimos and Redskins need to go
I also heard "Edmonton Empire" being suggested which isn't bad.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #496
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^
That's horribad.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #497
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it's that bad, it just looks funny next to Edmonton. Almost like an oxymoron.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #498
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton Sweatpants, it is
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #499
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I don't think it's that bad, it just looks funny next to Edmonton. Almost like an oxymoron.
Empire sounds ridiculous next to any city name.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #500
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton Excrements

Of course, that will probably offend excrement.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote