Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Penguins situations is really, really bad in the long term when you consider their prospect base and age of current roster. I imagine they will try to LTIR Letang and Malkin near the end of their deals but they will be really, really bad in a few years and there's no guarantee they will be lucky enough to draft the next Crosby and Malkin. Dubas is in a situation where he's likely going to be able to rebuild them but as we have seen with teams that hit rock bottom it can take a long, long time to climb out and that market is extremely fickle.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #22
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Dubas, I'd have a loooong conversation with Crosby about ending his career elsewhere if he's up for it - the Pens desperately need the assets back, and Crosby can cup chase in one final run. Then give him a job in management back in Pittsburgh when he's officially retired.

Last edited by Muta; 06-01-2023 at 10:33 AM. Reason: His.... HIS!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
If I was Dubas, I'd have a loooong conversation with Crosby about ending her career elsewhere if he's up for it - the Pens desperately need the assets back, and Crosby can cup chase in one final run. Then give him a job in management back in Pittsburgh when he's officially retired.
I would be incredibly proud to have the first openly trans athlete come to the Flames and chase a Cup.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #24
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I would be incredibly proud to have the first openly trans athlete come to the Flames and chase a Cup.
HAHAHA... fixed, my bad
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:36 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1664309817878495249
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #26
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
How though? Pittsburgh is in a terrible situation where their best assets are set there for life, and the young guys aren’t many. Then they’ve dealt many picks in the Rutherford era. So what can they work with here? It’s gotta be the draft over the long haul. Good luck with that not having tradable assets and needing draft luck.

I think Treliving having a second voice in Shanahan, comes out one, Conroy two, Dubas distant third.
I think Dubas is a bright guy, he’ll have learned from his time in TO, and while he’s in a worse short term situation in Pittsburgh Tre is in a worse long term situation in TO. So beyond two years I like Dubas’s chances of success more than Tre’s. Conroy is in a similar situation to Dubas, but has less experience than Dubas, and hasn’t proven his hockey intellect to be as sharp as Dubas’s at this point. If Conroy is smarter than can be reasonably expected then maybe he’ll outperform Dubas. Ultimately, I think each hire was right for each team. But the results will vary and I bet Dubas comes out on top, Conroy will do well and Tre will do well at first but be the first of the three to get canned. It’s going to be interesting to watch it play out regardless.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #27
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pens are in a bad situation now but Dubas will likely get to build his own team soon.

Brad has a better team but it's basically locked in and capped out with expectations to win a cup. Matthews contract in one year could make it really tough to do anything.
Hes already making 11.6, cant go up much more. Not like its the Mackinnon double salary bump.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #28
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't think Crosby will ever ask to go anywhere - he has his Cups. And one of the problems with Hextall is he wanted to move on from Malkin and Letang last summer - iirc it took a while to sign Malkin and there was some speculation he might go elsewhere.

The owners want those three there, and if Dubas isn't even the GM by the Fall, then it's not on him.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Hes already making 11.6, cant go up much more. Not like its the Mackinnon double salary bump.
He can go up an entire 2nd/3rd line player's worth if he got the max annual salary for the entire contract.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #30
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/...507773455?s=20

Not sure comparing Dubas to Cousin Greg is particularly flattering... LOLOL.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:34 PM   #31
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dubas comes off as looking like an idiot with his comments about not going to show up anywhere after a few weeks. Toronto or nothing was what he said and than he get's fired and than ends up in the same conference. Why say things like that in the biggest market if it's not even remotely true? I don't blame people for taking a job but to be so forceful in your words and than go back on them so soon?

He does strike me as a more POHO type than a hardcore manager. More of a philosophical type type offering advice, direction, suggestions etc. Some of the really hard decisions that needed to be made with Toronto wasn't made with him
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #32
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Dubas comes off as looking like an idiot with his comments about not going to show up anywhere after a few weeks. Toronto or nothing was what he said and than he get's fired and than ends up in the same conference. Why say things like that in the biggest market if it's not even remotely true? I don't blame people for taking a job but to be so forceful in your words and than go back on them so soon?

He does strike me as a more POHO type than a hardcore manager. More of a philosophical type type offering advice, direction, suggestions etc. Some of the really hard decisions that needed to be made with Toronto wasn't made with him

I think Dubas was talking about whether he wanted to stay or not. He said he had to decide, and I think in his head that it was stay or take some time off. He told Shanny he wanted to stay, and then Shanny told him he couldn't.

I would imagine that might change someone's perspective very quickly.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:54 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I think Dubas was talking about whether he wanted to stay or not. He said he had to decide, and I think in his head that it was stay or take some time off. He told Shanny he wanted to stay, and then Shanny told him he couldn't.

I would imagine that might change someone's perspective very quickly.
It sounds like it was part of bargaining ploy as days later his agent submitted revision to the framework of the extension that both parties supposedly had previously agreed on that caught Shanahan by surprise and the next day he decided to move on from him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:00 PM   #34
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t watch the press conference but I do wonder if the agent was buying time to hear what the Pens had in mind. Further to that the delay recently with Pittsburgh, I wonder if Ottawa was prepping to give him a higher position which he was waiting for? This guy seems to be about the money and power. Bright guy but let’s not kid ourselves here.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #35
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t watch the press conference but I do wonder if the agent was buying time to hear what the Pens had in mind. Further to that the delay recently with Pittsburgh, I wonder if Ottawa was prepping to give him a higher position which he was waiting for? This guy seems to be about the money and power. Bright guy but let’s not kid ourselves here.

TBH, who isn't? Doesn't matter what field you're in.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #36
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
TBH, who isn't? Doesn't matter what field you're in.
Fair. I don’t know. It’s not all about the money though that plays into it. I just don’t like the idea of making decisions completely for money and saying otherwise. Pittsburgh may very well be a terrible situation that is just not attractive. So he’d position it as a challenge but we know it’s about working with Fenway sports. I just like people telling the truth. The politician speak is silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 03:07 PM   #37
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair. I don’t know. It’s not all about the money though that plays into it. I just don’t like the idea of making decisions completely for money and saying otherwise. Pittsburgh may very well be a terrible situation that is just not attractive. So he’d position it as a challenge but we know it’s about working with Fenway sports. I just like people telling the truth. The politician speak is silly.
Yeah, I agree with you on the bolded part. I didn't watch his press conference and I don't know what he said. Just think that he can't be faulted for looking for power and money. I bet it must be quite a power struggle in Toronto. His situation isn't much different from Treliving who was supposedly burnt out and needed time off. Then not soon after, he signs with Toronto where is much more of a pressure cooker than Calgary. May be the difference there is that he has his dad having his back.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad about this as the eastern media will probably focus less on Treliving's ties to the Flames and more on Treliving vs Dubas
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:01 PM   #39
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how he does. He gets a ton of hype for his time in Toronto but the reality is that team was largely built before he got there or with picks that were no brainers. It is hard for the Dubas supporters to point out actual quality moves he made to improve the Leafs and the way the defense and goaltending was handled under him certainly raises questions.

I am not sure that means he is a bad GM but I am not sure there is much other than hype to point to that he is a good GM at this point. With the issues Pittsburgh has this will certainly tell us a lot more about his quality.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #40
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
It will be interesting to see how he does. He gets a ton of hype for his time in Toronto but the reality is that team was largely built before he got there or with picks that were no brainers. It is hard for the Dubas supporters to point out actual quality moves he made to improve the Leafs and the way the defense and goaltending was handled under him certainly raises questions.

I am not sure that means he is a bad GM but I am not sure there is much other than hype to point to that he is a good GM at this point. With the issues Pittsburgh has this will certainly tell us a lot more about his quality.
To me Pittsburgh is beyond repair until one of the big two agree to a trade to recoup assets or the organization tanks. Little chance otherwise. Crosby is good enough to carry you to the middle of the league but it’s hockey and carrying a team is difficult.

Disagree with your points on goaltending and defence. The defence was terrible when he first came in. Now it’s among the deepest in the league. Goaltending has never been consistent but it’s never ever been bad under him. In fact Anderson was great until injury questions arose. Campbell came from nowhere to do very very good. When he demanded more they realized it wasn’t a core player and cut him loose. Last season Samsonov was largely very very good. Save a few teams in the league with legit star starters a lot of teams are looking for that elusive goaltender and Toronto did alright.