Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #881
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheer for whatever you like...it's a game

Myself and others mocked for saying they would get destroyed the second Bob comes back to earth.

You're damn right we are gonna bring it up when it plays out.

How can you not like the story!?

Guy bailed on the Flames, he can pound sand...why would I want him to immediately win?

Bottom line, cheer for or against whoever you like

Also, season has been long enough...get it over with

Last edited by dino7c; 06-07-2023 at 12:08 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #882
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see how FLA and in particular Bob and Chucky play in Game 3.

Win on home ice and its a new series.

Unfortunately because of a commitment I will not see the game.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #883
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You can’t score more than 1 goal in OT so it’s not comparable.
But you can end the game immediately by scoring. The Panthers didn't do that until the end of the 4th OT. They went almost 4 full OT periods without scoring, so yes it is comparable.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #884
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
But you can end the game immediately by scoring. The Panthers didn't do that until the end of the 4th OT. They went almost 4 full OT periods without scoring, so yes it is comparable.
Yeah no kidding...its still another 3 periods without a goal

Its actually remarkable to win a series scoring 10 goals but to play if off like the goalie wasn't the #1 factor is pretty silly
Old 06-07-2023, 01:46 PM   #885
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
People haven't been gloating about the Panthers winning. We've been cheering for the Panthers to win in three different series threads, while others have been cheering for them to lose (either because they're mad about Tkachuk leaving, or because they've bet on Boston/Toronto/Carolina etc).

The gloating happening now is the "see? we were right! Florida does suck!" posts. Yeah man, we get it, you said they'd lose to Boston, you said they'd lose to Toronto, you said they'd lose to Carolina and you said they'd lose to Vegas. When they beat Boston, it wasn't "ok we were wrong" it was "they only won because....". Same with Toronto and the same again with Carolina. Now that they're finally losing, it's "we were right all along!!" when they were literally wrong in all three previous series ("Boston in 4" "Toronto in 5" "Carolina in 6").

Congrats all around for Florida finally losing to one of the #4 teams in the league after beating the #1, #2 and the other #4 team to get here in the first place.

Edit: The crazy thing is that I was really just cheering for Tkachuk in the beginning, who's been my favourite player in the league for the last few years, but once they beat Boston, I found myself actually cheering for the whole team... and I'm a fan now. They have some really fun players to watch, and how can you not like the story of Chucky finally being free to lead the way he wants to and watch a team completely buy into it and have both fun and success while doing it?
It's also the "Florida's never going to make the playoffs", "they're division is too strong and the Pacific is too weak", "strength of schedule is what matters" type of stuff that has been going on all season long. Even then, it's not actually the holding of those positions, but the certainty in the way they're advocated for and acting like others don't know what they're talking about.

If there was a bit more humility in how the positions were advocated for in the first place, nobody would care that they were wrong. It's sports. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, but when someone plants their flag and loudly claims their territory as the best to be on again and again it rubs people the wrong way.

Just chill and have some humility in interactions, then nobody cares how many calls you get wrong, because we all know it's just sports and part of the fun is the unexpected.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:03 PM   #886
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand why people take offence in "supposed" gloating, I mean, it's sport fanatic. When the team you cheer for win, and the team you cheer against lost, ofc you gloat, to the losing team not to the losing posters that support the losing team. It's no different than we post all the time, "suck it Oilers" or "haha, stupid Oilers" or "suck it Leafs".

As per people predicted Florida not getting out of the first round, well, "prediction" is looking into the future and say something gonna happen in the future. Ofc it might come true and it might not. If every prediction can come true, we are all multi-millionaires.

Also, some got upset when people say Bobrovsky playing in God mode and that's why they've gotten so far in the playoff. Why get upset over this? Just say "well, Bobrovsky is part of the team too" And why get upset over people saying if Bobrovsky comes back down to earth they'll be in trouble? The past two games proved that. Until Florida can outscores Vegas when Bobrovsky SV% is in the high 80, their team goes as Bobrovsky goes.

For all the supposed gloating was directed to Florida Panthers, their certain players and their HC not to the posters supporting their team.

Thank y'all for reading and I will continue to post my dancing knight for every Knights win.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #887
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are more defensive on here about the Panthers than the Flames

Weird fanbase

And the Panthers shouldn't have made the playoffs with 92 ponts so the math was sound saying they wouldn't. Like 50 things broke their way in the final month.

There is a reason we use 96 for snake

Think of how frustrating the Flames season was and they finished higher.

A 92 point team winning the cup makes the regular season meaningless.

IMO
And I can't stress this enough
IMO

Should the Panthers have a miraculous comeback I guarantee you guys will be calling me out by name like you did last round so...those in glass houses

It's just a game man, I know you have been a die hard for 3 weeks but it will be okay

Last edited by dino7c; 06-07-2023 at 03:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 03:35 PM   #888
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Weird fanbase

And the Panthers shouldn't have made the playoffs with 92 ponts so the math was sound saying they wouldn't. Like 50 things broke their way in the final month.

It almost feels like some here trying to show they are "hockey" fans instead of a particular team fans, IDK. But if they are cheering for good hockey, then how can they not cheer for Vegas? TBH, one gotta admire how Vegas been playing in this playoff. Stars, Benn in particular tried to rattle them and it didn't work, they disposed the Stars in 6. And Panthers tried, in the last 2 games anyway, tried the same tactic, and it didn't work either. I didn't like Vegas because of how the expansion draft was setup and also because they are in our division. But in the last around against Dallas, and after what Benn did to one of their stars, they did not retaliate, that showed they are a well coached team. And the last 2 games, they just laughed at Florida's antics, I fell in love with them ( mind you, just in this playoff only, next season starts, I'll hate them all over again.)
Old 06-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #889
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm the other one here that people may be talking about in terms of "cheering against Florida", but for me it wasn't even really gloating or predictions. Just sharing that the way they were winning wasn't really a sustainable model, or something that should try to be emulated, especially since people were like "Look the Panthers are so much smarter than the Flames!".

I think I was actually one of the few that before the Leafs series said that I didn't love the match up for the Leafs and thought Florida could win if they won the goaltending match up, and same thing before the Carolina series.

My point the whole time was that it was very fortunate, and that they were only really winning on the back of unbelievable play from Bobrovsky and timely goals from Tkachuk.

But it was others that were insisting that it was because they were playing so good as a team...even though they were averaging like 2.6 goals per game during the Leafs and Hurricanes series, while also bleeding chances against a bit.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-07-2023 at 04:46 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #890
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is over. They need Playoff Bob back to have any chance. I'll say it because I don't care if it doesn't happen, but Florida is on track to being sweeped in the the finals again.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:50 PM   #891
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think I'm the other one here that people may be talking about in terms of "cheering against Florida", but for me it wasn't even really gloating or predictions. Just sharing that the way they were winning was really a sustainable model, or something that should try to be emulated, especially since people were like "Look the Panthers are so much smarter than the Flames!".

I think I was actually one of the few that before the Leafs series said that I didn't love the match up for the Leafs and thought Florida could win if they won the goaltending match up, and same thing before the Carolina series.

My point the whole time was that it was very fortunate, and that they were only really winning on the back of unbelievable play from Bobrovsky and timely goals from Tkachuk.

But it was others that were insisting that it was because they were playing so good as a team...even though they were averaging like 2.6 goals per game during the Leafs and Hurricanes series, while also bleeding chances against a bit.

Actually I was the one predicted that they won't get pass Carolina and they are going to get swept, because of the way they played in previous rounds. They won the previous 2 rounds because Boborvsky out performed Ullmark and Samsonov at the same time, Tkachuk scored his timely goals. I thought Carolina, as a team was better than Leafs and their goalie could match Boborvsky, unfortunately I was wrong.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #892
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Weird fanbase

I suspect the extent to which people feel the desire to call you out or even mock you on wrong takes is entirely about how you interact with people.

You made calls that you argued with people about as though you knew the future better than they did, then it didn't work out as you called it, but instead of having the humility to just say you called it wrong (something nobody would give a second thought to, because we all make wrong calls) you're saying "the math was sound" and call other people 'weird'.

If you're not sincere in it, then it's great trolling. I honestly can't tell if you're sincere or not anymore because it's gone so far that it seems like parody.

Anyways, I hope we can all just enjoy the rest of the finals. Arguing about this kind of stuff isn't much fun.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #893
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

An amusing stat would be if Florida went to the Cup Final twice and won a total of zero games.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #894
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone picked Boston
I picked the Leafs and Canes
I picked Vegas

So it looks like I will be down by one for picking Panthers series vs. Notradomous new Panther fans on here

You got me

Last edited by dino7c; 06-07-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:03 PM   #895
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I suspect the extent to which people feel the desire to call you out or even mock you on wrong takes is entirely about how you interact with people.

You made calls that you argued with people about as though you knew the future better than they did, then it didn't work out as you called it, but instead of having the humility to just say you called it wrong (something nobody would give a second thought to, because we all make wrong calls) you're saying "the math was sound" and call other people 'weird'.

If you're not sincere in it, then it's great trolling. I honestly can't tell if you're sincere or not anymore because it's gone so far that it seems like parody.

Anyways, I hope we can all just enjoy the rest of the finals. Arguing about this kind of stuff isn't much fun.
I don't care who mocks me...just don't cry when the shoe is on the other foot.

If it weren't for not wanting Tkachuk to win the cup I wouldn't even be watching hockey. It's 28 out

Panthers losing in embarrassing fashion in the finals might be as good as them missing. Less flip flop time for #19 this summer and agonizing thoughts of what could have been

Hook it to ma veins

We hate Oiler players because Edmonton drafted them...surely a guy bailing on my team is as good a reason to "hate" someone giving me a rooting interest when I wouldn't have one otherwise.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-07-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:06 PM   #896
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everyone picked Boston <-- Me
I picked the Leafs and Canes
I picked Vegas

So it looks like I will be down 2-1 for in picking Panthers series vs. Notradomous new Panther fans on here

You got me

I picked Boston vs Carolina
I picked Vegas vs Colorado

I picked Boston vs Colorado

Just show how much I know the future.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:07 PM   #897
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
An amusing stat would be if Florida went to the Cup Final twice and won a total of zero games.
Only win in the month of June for them is a game 7 in the conference finals on June 1st 1996. Also interesting is potentially this series could end on June 10th, the same day it ended for them back in 1996.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 04:09 PM   #898
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it weren't for not wanting Tkachuk to win the cup I wouldn't even be watching hockey. It's 28 out

Yup! I cheer against Florida mainly because of 3 persons there, Tkachuk, Eric Staal and Maurice.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #899
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I picked Boston vs Carolina
I picked Vegas vs Colorado

I picked Boston vs Colorado

Just show how much I know the future.
I have yet to see a perfect bracket

A certain "Bruins in 2" poster now calls out my lack of faith in the Panthers.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:19 PM   #900
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Good lord, man.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: