Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #41
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Because he asked to be traded.....
Because nobody's ever changed their mind before.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #42
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am more than aware of how good he was, or could be. The problem is, he rarely showed it in the playoffs here. He wanted out also, and it was really hard. Weegar is a stud, Huberdeau can be again. I have moved on.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Because he asked to be traded.....
AFTER Johnny Walker went to CBJ.

Different set of parameters.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
come on now, he wanted to cash in on his season and not come back to the Flames minus Gaudreau for his pending UFA season which could have been poor offensively considering the coach and linemates.

He was only looking out for himself
Quote:
Can't believe the amount of people that don't see this for what it was. He didn't even want to finish out his contract with the Flames.
Yup - Gaudreau played out his contract and decided to leave as a UFA.

Tkachuk was just looking out for himself and based on what I've heard the only place he truly wanted to go to was Florida.

Both guys were just looking out for what they thought was their own best interest.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #45
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You honestly think in May 2022 he thought he was going to sign long term with the Flames?
Old 05-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #46
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The mental gymnastics some fans pull to stick up for the guy.... and I'm not even a Tkachuk hater.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:53 PM   #47
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
AFTER Johnny Walker went to CBJ.

Different set of parameters.
How so? Either you want to be a leader or you don't. I don't remember Yzerman, Sakic, or Iginla demanding a trade when times were tough.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #48
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
How so? Either you want to be a leader or you don't. I don't remember Yzerman, Sakic, or Iginla demanding a trade when times were tough.
Iginla held out.

Sakic signed an offer sheet.

Though i dont know what they have to do with MT's situation here a year ago.

But when JG left, everything changed for MT, and a bunch of others. So did his ideas on where he wanted to play.

Why is this so hard to admit?
Old 05-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #49
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla held out.

But when JG left, everything changed for MT, and a bunch of others. So did his ideas on where he wanted to play.

Say what you want about Tkachuk, at least he wasn't a little bitch like Niewendyk was at the end.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #50
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla held out.

Yeah remember when Matt said something about after Johnny left he had to with reevaluate the situation. I also think some guys were close to Sam Bennett. In other words when you start to dismantle some of these friendships it factors in where they want to play. I bet Matt doesn't choose Florida if Bennett is not there.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:16 PM   #51
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla held out.

Did it though?

The rumor (from the spitting chiclets and missing curfew guys) was that Tkachuk asked for a trade going back to the 2021 offseason prior to that season - but it would have been selling low coming off a bad year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Yeah remember when Matt said something about after Johnny left he had to with reevaluate the situation. I also think some guys were close to Sam Bennett. In other words when you start to dismantle some of these friendships it factors in where they want to play. I bet Matt doesn't choose Florida if Bennett is not there.
His parents were building a house in Florida before the trade happened...I've heard that the "4 team list" was more of a negotiation tactic for Tkachuk and the Flames to get the deals they wanted...there was only one place he wanted to go. I'm not sure how big of a factor Bennett was.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-23-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #52
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Say what you want about Tkachuk, at least he wasn't a little bitch like Niewendyk was at the end.
Yeah if he had walked the Flames would have been in a lot deeper trouble.. I know some people applaud Treliving's recovery but that doesn't happen without Tkachuk giving him some options.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:21 PM   #53
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Did it though?

The rumor (from the spitting chiclets and missing curfew guys) was that Tkachuk asked for a trade going back to the 2021 offseason prior to that season - but it would have been selling low coming off a bad year.

His parents were building a house in Florida...I've heard that the "4 team list" was more of a negotiation tactic for Tkachuk and the Flames to get the deals they wanted...there was only one place he wanted to go.
I didn't know about the house in fForida. But you know his brother didn't choose to leave Ottawa. I just don't think that we gave him enough reasons to stay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #54
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Did it though?

His parents were building a house in Florida before the trade happened...I've heard that the "4 team list" was more of a negotiation tactic for Tkachuk and the Flames to get the deals they wanted...there was only one place he wanted to go. I'm not sure how big of a factor Bennett was.
Im just not sure what his parents building a winter home in Florida would have to do with him deciding where to sign though. Its not like he would be living with them. He has his own life and money etc.

As for a couple podcast guys throwing out their thoughts...well it just doesnt hold a lot of sway for me.

I think many things went into his decision but seeing the best line in the NHL get broken up for good was probably the catalyst to making a final decision to not return. COVID, certainly location, taxes....all probably played a part.

I dont think it is a coincidence that JG flies the coop and a couple weeks later MT informs his bosses he wont be resigning with them even though negotiations had been happening with his agent.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #55
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't know about the house in fForida. But you know his brother didn't choose to leave Ottawa. I just don't think that we gave him enough reasons to stay.
Yeah I don't disagree at all. He should have been named captain, and probably should have been made more the focal point of the team.

In terms of contract I think the difference was Ottawa was deadset on 8 years...and didn't want a shorter contract on the table.

Since Brady hadn't blown up yet there was room there to overpay, which they did. They gave a guy who had only broken 50 points a $8.5M contract.

That type of option didn't exist with Matthew at the time. He was coming off a 78 point season. A 8 year contract was likely going to cost $9.5M at that time, and really it was more likely going to be a 6 year deal which is what Rantanen/Marner had signed.

I still don't dislike the idea of a 3 year bridge with the player expiring as RFA vs a 6 year deal that takes them to UFA. I think I prefer the 3 year deal even in hindsight to be honest.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't disagree at all. He should have been named captain, and probably should have been made more the focal point of the team.

In terms of contract I think the difference was Ottawa was deadset on 8 years...and didn't want a shorter contract on the table.

Since Brady hadn't blown up yet there was room there to overpay, which they did. They gave a guy who had only broken 50 points a $8.5M contract.

That type of option didn't exist with Matthew at the time. He was coming off a 78 point season. A 8 year contract was likely going to cost $9.5M at that time, and really it was more likely going to be a 6 year deal which is what Rantanen/Marner had signed.

I still don't dislike the idea of a 3 year bridge with the player expiring as RFA vs a 6 year deal that takes them to UFA. I think I prefer the 3 year deal even in hindsight to be honest.
It was, in practical terms, a 4 year deal with the final year being an option at $9M. In the presser people like to quote he referred to a long term deal as "6,7,8 years". Meaning 6 (during which he can push for a trade, and after this year would have totally controlled who that trade was to because he'd have, no doubt, an NTC).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:43 PM   #57
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Ottawa also paid a premium for him on an 8 year deal. He has yet to reach the value of that deal yet.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:48 PM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate Tkachuk but I’m walking away with my draft in part because of him.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:50 PM   #59
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Ottawa also paid a premium for him on an 8 year deal. He has yet to reach the value of that deal yet.
8.2 for an 83 pt season seems reasonable....no?

Plus, he has not hit his prime yet as he is only 23.

That is a contract i dont believe they should have any worries about.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:50 PM   #60
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It was, in practical terms, a 4 year deal with the final year being an option at $9M. In the presser people like to quote he referred to a long term deal as "6,7,8 years". Meaning 6 (during which he can push for a trade, and after this year would have totally controlled who that trade was to because he'd have, no doubt, an NTC).
Yup. In reality even with a 6 year deal we could have ended up in the exact same scenario where he wanted out after the 22 season, and pressure to move him before a NTC kicks in

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!