Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #21
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is an incredible player. It’s glaring how much of a hole is left here while watching him dominate on another team.

He really did make the best decision for him. It’s a shame the Flames didn’t do more sooner to try to keep this productive and marketable asset.

They f’d around and found out
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #22
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Maybe Nylander then? Can't remember?
Old 05-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #23
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm cheering for him. Flames dropped the ball when they bridged. Seeing his success now hurts, but it's just such a Flamesy move to have lost him.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #24
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great player and at least he gave us notice that he wanted out, so we could get something for him.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #25
UnitedFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Oh FFS
UnitedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:07 AM   #26
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As a fan that watched him a lot I wouldn't say the skating issues are overblown. He's straight up not a great skater. He's managed to overcome his footspeed with his elite skills and hockey sense as there are few players in the league as good as him around the net. Still he's 25 years old and I think the skating issues are something that will be something to watch as he gets into his 30's. It's possible he needed to be in a place where his creativity was allowed to flourish as we just never saw this version of him in Calgary especially in the playoffs. I'm not a big Paul Maurice fan but him letting Tkachuk loose has definitely worked out but it also helps when you have a goaltender playing god mode.
I actually don't think that it will be that bad, with his hockey IQ through the roof, his legs might slow down but his mind wont. Tkachhuk will be able to get to anticipate and get to where he needs to be. I mean look at Pavelski, he's not the best skater in the world, but even at age 38 he knows how to be many steps ahead of the play and be in the right place.

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to renny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:11 AM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Great player and at least he gave us notice that he wanted out, so we could get something for him.
come on now, he wanted to cash in on his season and not come back to the Flames minus Gaudreau for his pending UFA season which could have been poor offensively considering the coach and linemates.

He was only looking out for himself
Old 05-23-2023, 11:14 AM   #28
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
come on now, he wanted to cash in on his season and not come back to the Flames minus Gaudreau for his pending UFA season which could have been poor offensively considering the coach and linemates.

He was only looking out for himself
Can't believe the amount of people that don't see this for what it was. He didn't even want to finish out his contract with the Flames.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:20 AM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Can't believe the amount of people that don't see this for what it was. He didn't even want to finish out his contract with the Flames.
yep, tons of teams have bridged players and not lost them...how many top players ask out of a first place team one year prior to UFA?

guy facked us over big time its not all the GM's fault

really he probably would have asked for a trade if he had 5 years left on his deal too and squeezed more money out of the Flames in the process anyway

Guy said he wanted to re-sign last may, he was obviously misleading everyone
Old 05-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #30
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care for how disingenuous he can come across as sometimes (and how he does it with an air of innocence) and didn't want to see him rewarded with a cup so soon after refusing to sign here, but I gotta to accept that it will probably happen.

Incredible talent. He's the spiritual leader of that team
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #31
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Yet before he left it was rumored he wanted to be the captain. If the player said he wanted to be here long term then why not believe him?
I think it was a case of us giving him more reasons to leave than to stay. We have had a number of players want to leave Calgary lately, Maybe we need to look at how the organization treats its players.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #32
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Yet before he left it was rumored he wanted to be the captain. If the player said he wanted to be here long term then why not believe him?
I think it was a case of us giving him more reasons to leave than to stay. We have had a number of players I want to leave Calgary lately, Maybe we need to look at how the organization treats its players.
or maybe it's the weather
Old 05-23-2023, 11:29 AM   #33
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
or maybe it's the weather

Well it's pretty hard to fix a problem if you keep denying there's a problem we're making excuses for it. The weather might be a factor but there are also other things going on in the organization. I don't think it's fair that you called him a liar about his willingness to stay, He does seem to be sincere person and player. Are you suggesting that all those players want to leave because of the weather, or just Tkachuk? At any rate I think the organization needs to do more to make the environment positive for players for them to want to play here.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 05-23-2023 at 11:32 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it's pretty hard to fix a problem if you keep denying there's a problem we're making excuses for it. The weather might be a factor but there are also other things going on in the organization. I don't think it's fair that you called him a liar about his willingness to stay, He does seem to be sincere person and player. Are you suggesting that all those players want to leave because of the weather, or just Tkachuk? At any rate I think the organization needs to do more to make the environment positive for players for them to want to play here.
talk to any agent...Canadian teams make up nearly every no trade list

sure you can always improve but to if you actually think taxes, weather, lifestyle, aren't a MAJOR disadvantage you are in denial

Its hard call him sincere when he publicly states he wants to sign an extension in May and then by July his says he will not sign with Calgary and gives them a handful of teams he will sign with. (further limiting their options)
Old 05-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #35
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Maybe Nylander then? Can't remember?

Man, that would have been a disaster
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a depressing thread

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #37
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he is a poor skater by NHL standards
He is a horrendous skater by NHL, ECHL, OHL , and some beer leagues standards

But he is so smart and so skilled in every other aspect of the game it doesn’t matter
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #38
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I definitely underestimated how good he was. I obviously knew he was a very good player, but he has taken his game to another level. His team showed faith in him, let him be him, and he has rewarded his team and his teammates.

I hope Conroy can inject some positivity to this team. It has been a downright awful year for the Flames. Literally nothing has gone right. I think the only positive I can take away from this last year is Walker Duehr.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
I actually don't think that it will be that bad, with his hockey IQ through the roof, his legs might slow down but his mind wont. Tkachhuk will be able to get to anticipate and get to where he needs to be. I mean look at Pavelski, he's not the best skater in the world, but even at age 38 he knows how to be many steps ahead of the play and be in the right place.
Pavelski is kind of a unicorn but I get where you are coming from. Mark Stone is also not fleet of foot and still pretty effective at 31 years old. It can go the other way as well so time will tell. Right now I don't think anyone in the Panthers organization really cares about how good a of a player he is in his 30's. It's all going to be worth it if they can win a cup this season.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:30 PM   #40
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it was a case of us giving him more reasons to leave than to stay. We have had a number of players want to leave Calgary lately, Maybe we need to look at how the organization treats its players.
Because he asked to be traded.....
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gio can't touch that , muzzin no good. , ref hate me , sandals to work , unicorns are real!