Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #7761
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryclancy View Post
It is truly sad that someone could watch that interview and then post such utter nonsense.
I'll actually concede it wasn't a well-phrased or agenda-free sounding question, but her answer was hardly "handing his ass to him". She could have addressed the weighted question with misogynist undertones and then gone on to answer the question.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #7762
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol, my guy, Qanon is as popular as ever.

Trump didn't lose, THAT's what your aren't understanding here.
Not sure I understand your response?

I know as far as they are concerned he didn't lose. My hope is that if he "doesn't lose" a second time they will just quit bothering to try. They will just sit home and be jaded about the gov't and all the evil conspiracies. Which will then get rid of all the other Trump crazies that they would be voting for.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #7763
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Not sure I understand your response?

I know as far as they are concerned he didn't lose. My hope is that if he "doesn't lose" a second time they will just quit bothering to try. They will just sit home and be jaded about the gov't and all the evil conspiracies. Which will then get rid of all the other Trump crazies that they would be voting for.
I think it will energize them further. Q didn't post for almost 18 months, it did absolutely nothing to slow down the movement. It just created more factions and better grifters.

Fanatics and zealots don't back off because their hero lost, they become more fanatical and more zealous.

He was directly stoking them in his speech last night. The next 2-4 years is going to lead to a lot of craziness as Trump grasps on to anything he can to stay relevant.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #7764
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lots of Trump supporters were pretty disappointed that Trump didn't announce a MAGA party last night. Does Trump know enough to not split the vote?

If he looks like he's going to lose the nomination (or if he does) then maybe he'll start a MAGA party.

One of the reasons Dems had a good midterms I think is because they seemed to be pretty quiet on the identity politics stuff.

That's one area where DeSantis is NOT quiet and definitely appeals to the more extreme right. Look at his actions with flying people around and stuff. As President he can't do as much without a 60 R senate but he could still do a LOT of harm.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:08 PM   #7765
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trumpers have lost 3 elections in row now
Old 11-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #7766
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

This person still has a chance to be a U.S. senator.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592954140887773184
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #7767
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I have to think there is a realistic chance of Trump running as independent if he loses the nomination to Desantis. I don't see any way of stopping him, and he could probably win enough states to keep anyone from getting 270 EC votes. Then that goes to the weird process where each state's delegation gets one vote and Senate picks the VP from one of the losing candidates. Foreseeably, Trump could have a shot at winning that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
See I think the Dems would take Sates they wouldn't have a prayer in winning otherwise (eg: Texas) because the base that votes R regardless will still vote R. Trump with siphon voted from the GOP, and Dems come up the middle as they aren't losing any votes.
While it would be state by state, I started checking the 1948 election where the Dixiecrats carried several deep south states. One was with 32% or so.

Then I checked 2020 and not all states had 50%+1. Looks like it's a winner takes all, regardless of the winner having a majority of total votes.

Thus Trump would likely render GOP unelectable if he ran as an independent.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #7768
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

What. An. Idiot.

Obviously!

Old 11-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #7769
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I think it will energize them further. Q didn't post for almost 18 months, it did absolutely nothing to slow down the movement. It just created more factions and better grifters.

Fanatics and zealots don't back off because their hero lost, they become more fanatical and more zealous.

He was directly stoking them in his speech last night. The next 2-4 years is going to lead to a lot of craziness as Trump grasps on to anything he can to stay relevant.
While I think you are right in terms of stepping up their 'we need a revolution' game, I think many Trump voters were not exactly normal voters before and would be likely to give up one he's done. That's the problem building a movement around a single person.

While it may be a rough road trying to quell the insurrection activity, I do think we could see a pretty quick turnaround in election outcomes as republican votes dry up.

Who knows, you may be right. Just trying to be optimistic!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #7770
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
While it would be state by state, I started checking the 1948 election where the Dixiecrats carried several deep south states. One was with 32% or so.

Then I checked 2020 and not all states had 50%+1. Looks like it's a winner takes all, regardless of the winner having a majority of total votes.

Thus Trump would likely render GOP unelectable if he ran as an independent.
You may be right. I couldn't find clear language written everywhere and saw some mention of elector being bound to the majority in states where they are bound.

If you have red states that went 40 Biden/35 Trump/25 Desantis, then I have no doubt the electoral college would be a #### show!

I imagine an election with a 3rd candidate getting into the 30% range would end up taking a year to resolve.

I guess the bottom line is that Trump enjoys knowing he has leverage of a nuclear 3rd party threat and will certainly use that if things start going badly for him.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #7771
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
While I think you are right in terms of stepping up their 'we need a revolution' game, I think many Trump voters were not exactly normal voters before and would be likely to give up one he's done. That's the problem building a movement around a single person.

While it may be a rough road trying to quell the insurrection activity, I do think we could see a pretty quick turnaround in election outcomes as republican votes dry up.

Who knows, you may be right. Just trying to be optimistic!
If they were convinced that Desantis stole the nomination from him, I doubt they are taking that gracefully and showing up to vote for Desantis.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #7772
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've gotta think that Republicans right now are hoping that 14th amendment objections to Trump's candidacy are successful because it both takes the headache of him running either for them or as a third party candidate off the table, while also giving them something they can rally against and claim that they're outraged by. Once he's totally removed from the ballot, they can claim that they totally would have supported him when they need to, and also claim that it's a distraction at this point and everyone needs to move on.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #7773
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is this him practicing for the filibuster?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #7774
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha. I could see him getting roasted on South Park. The material practically writes itself.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #7775
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:

That felt like so much longer than 2 mins. That man should never tell another story again, and he should feel very embarrassed.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #7776
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
You may be right. I couldn't find clear language written everywhere and saw some mention of elector being bound to the majority in states where they are bound.

If you have red states that went 40 Biden/35 Trump/25 Desantis, then I have no doubt the electoral college would be a #### show!

I imagine an election with a 3rd candidate getting into the 30% range would end up taking a year to resolve.

I guess the bottom line is that Trump enjoys knowing he has leverage of a nuclear 3rd party threat and will certainly use that if things start going badly for him.
I don't think it'd be much different from 2020. With the fake electors, insurrection, bull crap.

Arizona, Wisconsin, Georvia, and Pennsylvania were all win by Biden/Harris with less than 50% of the vote.

Of note, Trump/Pence won North Carolina with less than 50%.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #7777
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Trump suffers another stinging defection as billionaire GOP megadonor abandons him

Quote:
A second major Republican donor has publicly stated that he won't be backing Donald Trump's third presidential run.

Stephen Schwarzman, the chairman, CEO and co-founder of private-equity firm Blackstone, told Axios in a statement that he won't support the former president's campaign for a second term.

"America does better when its leaders are rooted in today and tomorrow, not today and yesterday," Schwarzman said. "It is time for the Republican Party to turn to a new generation of leaders and I intend to support one of them in the presidential primaries."

Schwarzman joins billionaire Ken Griffin, the founder of the Citadel hedge fund, who told Bloomberg on Tuesday that Trump is a "three-time loser" and instead endorsed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has not officially entered the race.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...28363d40f0ad9e
Old 11-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #7778
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

This ad in retrospect looks beyond terrible for Desantis if he's going against Trump

PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #7779
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be an interesting two years and then, maybe 4 more after.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1592978341560188932
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #7780
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I haven't paid attention to the mid term results since Friday or so but how is it possible that so many seats in California, mostly, still haven't been figured out after more than a week. Some districts are still around 50% or 60% reporting. That seems really unacceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
That is something I’d like to know as well. What procedures are there in place that justify such delayed reporting?
California by default mails every registered voter a mail in ballot. That ballot is considered legally cast if it is postmarked by Election Day and arrives with 7 days of Election Day.

So yesterday was the first day that election officials had all the ballots.

This is good for voter turnout and preventing the Chiu scenario but bad for timely reporting of results.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: