Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #6681
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cheaper probably?
True if you only use your PC for gaming I suppose. I use my PC as a media server as well ,and I just updated all of my components except for the GPU for the first time since I built it 6-7 years ago. If I don't mind buying second-hand (and I don't), I can get a decent GPU for around $500.

Probably still more expensive than if I built an HTPC and bought a PS5, but not by much and this way takes up less space in my living room.

I'd be curious to hear what people's experiences are like playing games like Civ or XCOM with a K+M on a console, because those games don't really lend themselves well to controllers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:12 PM   #6682
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

That said, I also like buying vinyl, so I could just be a twat.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #6683
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What's everyone planning to play? I was thinking of some kind of lightning Sorc but they apparently got nerfed into oblivion? Kripp has a fire Sorc that looks interesting but not sure if I'd like the play style.
I will be main a Druid as I really enjoy the versatility of the class. Plus it sounds like they will devastating in endgame.

I have always migrated towards the Druid type character. Played them in Diablo 2, WOW, and ESO (Warden).
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:57 PM   #6684
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Right, right, and music just sounds better on records. It has a warmer, deeper sound that you can’t get in a compressed audio file.

You’re just illustrating my point. Absolutely nothing wrong with PC gaming, its benefits are just superficial things noticed mostly by “purists.” Consoles do everything that matters just as well if not better and are one piece.

Yeah that’s true. And I don’t think anyone cares anyway. I didn’t even think PC gamers would get offended at my comment lol, it’s weird. Just play on whatever you like so that you can play the games you want to play, but, objectively, PC gaming is a much higher entry point to get into and maintain for very insignificant advantages over consoles (when comparing the same games).
I wouldn't say it's superficial. PC offers quality of life options that consoles simply do not. Consoles work for the majority of people but not having access to certain features makes console gaming more restrictive.

The biggest one for me is FOV sliders - on PC you can change your field of view and that's the biggest thing for me. The majority of console games are locked into an FOV of 60 when for my personal eye comfort and to avoid nausea/motion sickness I need an FOV of 80-100 for gaming.

FPS that is locked to 30 which is something you find in many console games also contributes to discomfort and motion sickness for me.

I do have a PS5 and Xbox Series S for the reason that for a long time during Covid, I was sick of sitting at my computer all day for work, and then sitting at the same computer at night to game and I needed to get away from it and sit on the couch and look at the window to not go mad.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-01-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:05 PM   #6685
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
True if you only use your PC for gaming I suppose. I use my PC as a media server as well ,and I just updated all of my components except for the GPU for the first time since I built it 6-7 years ago. If I don't mind buying second-hand (and I don't), I can get a decent GPU for around $500.

Probably still more expensive than if I built an HTPC and bought a PS5, but not by much and this way takes up less space in my living room.

I'd be curious to hear what people's experiences are like playing games like Civ or XCOM with a K+M on a console, because those games don't really lend themselves well to controllers.
XCOM2 is fine and decent on the PS5. They did a good job porting it. It's ultra slow and buggy if you only have the base edition on the PS4. But this is somehow fixed if you have the DLC. Another bizarre aspect is that XCOM2 doesn't have a tutorial on the Playstation version.

Civ was a little clunky and Phantom Doctrine pissed me off with how sensitive the joystick was and how selection would fly all over the place with no ability to lower the sensitivity (at least when I first played it).

FPS games are obviously different and more difficult, but third person I find a little more comfortable on a controller. This might have slightly to do with the fact I enjoy playing games casually vs being ultra performance high ranking in the world type of approach to games. I watch some people play SC2 and I'm always wondering how people consider an ultra focused and ultra twitch mechanics game to be a great way to decompress. It just seems exhausting to me.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:14 PM   #6686
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PC is largely my work device. I have a Hyper-V VM that runs on it and connects to (and is managed by) my work.
Can I play games on it? Yeah, and pretty damn well in fact. How many have I played in the last month? Zero.

I've also spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour using my Xbox in the last month, and my TV has mostly been a giant Spotify screen. I've been way to busy going out with friends and things.

I think this might be the last console generation for me unless something changes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:21 PM   #6687
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My PC is largely my work device. I have a Hyper-V VM that runs on it and connects to (and is managed by) my work.
Can I play games on it? Yeah, and pretty damn well in fact. How many have I played in the last month? Zero.

I've also spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour using my Xbox in the last month, and my TV has mostly been a giant Spotify screen. I've been way to busy going out with friends and things.

I think this might be the last console generation for me unless something changes.
Don't gimme that bull####,

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 03:23 PM   #6688
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

I'm with you here. The only remaining fun I have with games is for co-op and there are more opportunities on PC with cross-play. I mainly do it for social reasons now.

I got a PS5 at launch but it's been off and collecting dust for 8 months now.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #6689
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That said, I also like buying vinyl, so I could just be a twat.
My vinyl collection has more dust on it than my gaming consoles

All that wasted money...
Old 06-01-2023, 03:40 PM   #6690
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm with you here. The only remaining fun I have with games is for co-op and there are more opportunities on PC with cross-play. I mainly do it for social reasons now.

I got a PS5 at launch but it's been off and collecting dust for 8 months now.
The amount of times I've picked up my PS5 controller thinking I'd love to play a game, and then feeling too mentally burnt out, so I stream a movie or series... very high.

Maybe I'm getting older and I'm looking for something specific, but I enjoyed games like Death Stranding where I can easily do stuff at my own pace and things are straight forward vs something like Returnal where following the story makes my brain melt down and game play wise I'm closer to throwing my controller at the TV vs actually decompressing. The same occurs with games like Demons Souls and Sekiro... I often swear at myself wondering why I chose to torture myself with stuff like that.

I do mindlessly dumb games on my phone a lot more, but I can agree there's something less satisfying about the complexity of those games vs console. I can't even bring myself to spool up games like Death Stranding or Star Dew Valley. It's just too much. TBH, unless I figure out this video game burnout/video game ennui, I think I might end up going into a sort of video game hiatus again for another 3-5 years within the next year or two. I'm honestly starting to feel more excited to do other hobbies than video games.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #6691
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The amount of times I've picked up my PS5 controller thinking I'd love to play a game, and then feeling too mentally burnt out, so I stream a movie or series... very high.

Maybe I'm getting older and I'm looking for something specific, but I enjoyed games like Death Stranding where I can easily do stuff at my own pace and things are straight forward vs something like Returnal where following the story makes my brain melt down and game play wise I'm closer to throwing my controller at the TV vs actually decompressing. The same occurs with games like Demons Souls and Sekiro... I often swear at myself wondering why I chose to torture myself with stuff like that.

I do mindlessly dumb games on my phone a lot more, but I can agree there's something less satisfying about the complexity of those games vs console. I can't even bring myself to spool up games like Death Stranding or Star Dew Valley. It's just too much. TBH, unless I figure out this video game burnout/video game ennui, I think I might end up going into a sort of video game hiatus again for another 3-5 years within the next year or two. I'm honestly starting to feel more excited to do other hobbies than video games.
There's nothing wrong with that really, gaming is supposed to really just be a fun distraction. I think you need to try and be in tune more with your own tastes and stop trying to force certain types of games you obviously don't enjoy just because they got great reviews / have lots of people talking about them.

I was in a similar spot last year, still buying lots of games but having trouble really getting in to anything. I've really changed my perspective this year and given up on keeping up with the AAA game machine -- stuff I would've never missed in previous years like RE4 and the new Star Wars I'm just letting pass me by. I've also focused a lot more on my health and getting in shape and fitting gaming in as more of a free time activity than all my spare time type thing. Now I have a game that really appeals to me (new Zelda) and am in a very good spot mentally and it's re-motivated my gaming time and kind of affirmed that I'm in a good place.

But there's also nothing wrong with just taking a whole break and pursuing other hobbies. Games are supposed to be fun! If you're bored, unengaged, or just not feeling it, don't force yourself. There are tons of things to do out there!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #6692
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
This is funny because it's very similar to the way I'm going, but just reversed: I seem to be growing more and more into my mom's ADHD, to the point I can't even sit & watch a movie or series anymore UNLESS I'm really high. Only video games can hold my attention in front of the TV lately, because I'm actually having to be engaged in it. I wish I could just chill and watch a movie or binge a show like I used to.

And agreed with Cube, regarding not forcing it and just trying when the mood is right, and a game that is actually your style.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 09:29 AM   #6693
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that’s true. And I don’t think anyone cares anyway. I didn’t even think PC gamers would get offended at my comment lol, it’s weird.
I don't think anyone was offended, it's just that as PC gamers, we're supposed to be the elitists. So when we see someone trying to challenge that notion we just get confused and curious
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #6694
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's a lot of interesting PC games. Blight: Survival for example looks great

I think its just what you got used to growing up. I've been playing PS since the PS 2 days, so its just a habit for me: i like getting away from the computer and just using a console controller to wind down.

For me, I work all day on a computer anyways, and even though I have a good game laptop, I've never considered playing games on it...I just use it for GPU intensive work stuff.

If Starfield is any good, I might try gamepass for PC, but have a huge PS game game backlog that I am having a hard time chipping away at to begin with.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:40 AM   #6695
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I do have a PS5 and Xbox Series S for the reason that for a long time during Covid, I was sick of sitting at my computer all day for work, and then sitting at the same computer at night to game and I needed to get away from it and sit on the couch and look at the window to not go mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
For me, I work all day on a computer anyways, and even though I have a good game laptop, I've never considered playing games on it...I just use it for GPU intensive work stuff.
This is actually a really good point that I wouldn't have considered if you guys hadn't mentioned it. Definitely a legit reason to wanna get away from a desk when it comes to leisure time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #6696
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The audiophile metaphor is perfectly accurate in exactly one respect: gaming above 60fps. Above that it is sort of like saying "the tone of the music on vinyl is just better", or "you can really hear the detail of the lossless audio".

But from 30-60fps? Or just the fact that you can play above 1080p on settings above medium? It's EXTREMELY easy to tell the difference. It's like the difference between standard definition TV and HD, as opposed to the difference between HD and 4K. The latter is a big step up technically, but in terms of the experience, it's nowhere near as big a jump.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:30 PM   #6697
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some people are underselling the quality of Series X and PS5
with the optimization the consoles get they are not low-mid end PCs in terms of gaming

I have a 3090 and I'm hard pressed to see a noticeable difference in graphic fidelity

For the price and ease of use the new consoles are great...put in the disc/download the game and play. No facking around
Old 06-08-2023, 08:48 AM   #6698
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone playing D4 on PS5?

I played D2 on the PC back in the day. I got D3 on PS3/4 and it was fun, especially local multiplayer. But it just wasn't the same. Was that because console, or because D2 slaps.

Debating to do D4 on console.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:59 AM   #6699
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is anyone playing D4 on PS5?

I played D2 on the PC back in the day. I got D3 on PS3/4 and it was fun, especially local multiplayer. But it just wasn't the same. Was that because console, or because D2 slaps.

Debating to do D4 on console.
Well D3 at launch was pretty garbage, it took a long time for Blizzard to get that game into a good spot. Good news is they used those lessons learned for D4 and it's much better to start, and from what I've read the controller support is very good. The only negatives seems to be with the Sorc teleport having a much lower range without having a mouse
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:39 AM   #6700
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been playing D4 on both a controller and mouse/keyboard and I honestly think the controller is the way to go. I'm way more agile and quick with the controller than the mouse/keyboard but that's just me. Everything works really well with the controller. I've also tried the game on both PS5 and PC and you really can't go wrong. The cross platform play is some of the best I've ever seen.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote