Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following?
Agostino 77 32.49%
Billins 1 0.42%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 21 8.86%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 1 0.42%
Gilmour 2 0.84%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 11 4.64%
Kanzig 7 2.95%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Kulak 42 17.72%
Mangiapane 20 8.44%
Ollas Mattson 2 0.84%
Rafikov 41 17.30%
Sieloff 12 5.06%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #41
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Sometimes you have to go with the mystery box.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #42
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Mangianpane should get some love soon.

finished 8th in scoring in the OHL and won't even crack our top 20 prospects. Absolutely insane how deep we've gotten in the last 2 years.
As should Seiloff, IMO. I went with Agostino and likely Kulak next, based on being a little closer to the NHL, but Seiloff is still a really interesting prospect. Big year for him, no doubt, but he is still a guy that could fit a real need for the Flames.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #43
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I hear you, Cali. But I look at Kulak and Culkin and I see them standing behind:

Brodie
Hamilton
Wotherspoon
Morrison
Hickey,
and maybe even Rafikov.

And then Kylington and Andersson are almost certainly going to scream past them.

Just no chance of ever making the team, IMO.

And that's why I have a hard time voting for them.
I don't see them behind Wotherspoon, and you never know when a guy like Morrison or Hickey gets traded for whatever reason in a cap world. You never know when a player might have an injury that causes them to go into a big decline. Rank the prospects relative to each other, not relative to the main team depth.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't see them behind Wotherspoon, and you never know when a guy like Morrison or Hickey gets traded for whatever reason in a cap world. You never know when a player might have an injury that causes them to go into a big decline. Rank the prospects relative to each other, not relative to the main team depth.
How do you not see them behind Wotherspoon?

He was ahead of them on the depth chart in Adirondack

He has been called up to the big club several times (and they haven't, other than Kulak getting in that that one game where the Flames threw a bunch of kids on the ice in Winnipeg)

He has more pedigree - only one on the WJ team, drafted higher

Treliving came out and challenged Wotherspoon to be ready to fight for a job in September. I think it's pretty safe to say that no one expects either Culkin or Kulak to crack the lineup out of camp.

So you can say that you like them better, but to try and argue that they aren't behind Wotherspoon on the depth charts is simply ignoring the facts.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #45
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kulak
Agostino
Gilmour
Hathaway
Rafikov

For me, anyway.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #46
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd probably stop at top 25.

Carroll, Gilmour, Harrison, Hathaway, Kulak, Mangiapane, Rafikov are my guys to make the list.

Billins, Bruce, Deblouw, Elson, Grant, Kanzig, Karnaukhov, Mattson, Sieloff, Van Brabant and Wolf are all cellar dwellers this summer. I don't expect Billins, Deblouw, or Wolf to even be mentioned after this season.

Some of the other guys could rise up, such as Sieloff, Kanzig and Elson, but they don't rank for me this year.

It's a very deep top-20 compared to years past.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #47
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
How do you not see them behind Wotherspoon?

He was ahead of them on the depth chart in Adirondack
Well, yes, he has a year head start. Corey Potter was ahead of Wotherspoon on the depth chart in Adirondack too, but that doesn't mean he was ahead of Wotherspoon. And would you disagree that Culkin's pro rookie season was more impressive than Wotherspoon's pro rookie season?

Quote:
He has been called up to the big club several times (and they haven't, other than Kulak getting in that that one game where the Flames threw a bunch of kids on the ice in Winnipeg)
This is true, but Treliving said something along the lines of Culkin's time coming up very soon as well, something to the tune of "whether that's next season or the season after". They also seem to fit Hartley's system a lot better purely based on style.

Quote:
He has more pedigree - only one on the WJ team, drafted higher
I don't think the Flames are all too interested in pedigree. Sven Baertschi had more pedigree than Josh Jooris too.

Quote:
Treliving came out and challenged Wotherspoon to be ready to fight for a job in September.
And you know he didn't challenge Culkin or anyone else the exact same way? Those guys didn't get season end interviews with media but that doesn't mean we can assume they weren't given similar exit interviews with coaching/management.

One thing Treliving did say though, that differentiates them from Wotherspoon, was year 1 was getting a feel for the pro game, but by year 3 you better be trying to take a spot away. He's saying that the pressure is on Spoon to win a spot. Kulak/Culkin are going into year 2 so there's no pressure on them, but that doesn't mean there's no opportunity for them.

Quote:
I think it's pretty safe to say that no one expects either Culkin or Kulak to crack the lineup out of camp.
Nor Hickey, but I bet you Hickey's ahead of Wotherspoon too.

Quote:
So you can say that you like them better, but to try and argue that they aren't behind Wotherspoon on the depth charts is simply ignoring the facts.
There is no "fact" only speculation. We don't know what their depth chart is. They might see Wotherspoon as merely a trade piece for all we know. Or maybe they've got Kanzig ahead of all these puck movers we love. That's something only they are privy too. And being more NHL-ready does not equate to being valued higher either.

The only thing we know definitively is that Wotherspoon is further along in his development. That does not make him a better prospect. Doesn't make him a worse prospect. Only makes him the prospect who's further along right now.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-22-2015 at 08:36 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #48
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Kulak for me. I like the way he took his demotion and worked on his game to get back as a top prospect and even get a game in the NHL.
Kulak for me as well, followed fairly closely by Rafikov.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #49
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I've said it in other rounds ... Rafikov shouldn't be penalized in a prospect poll because he may not come over.

That's his issue.

Sieloff is coming off injuries.
Mangiapane has to prove he's big and strong enough
Hickey has to prove one year isn't a fluke
Kylington has to develop the mental side

Other than your top one, two, or three they all have issues that they need to skate through to make it. This is round 18.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote