Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2023, 05:10 AM   #101
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Just a lil bit of hyperbole perhaps?

Traumatic brain injuries and the deteriorating mental health of enforcer's is the topic of the study being considered, and maybe changes will be made. But suggesting that any real "fans" are happy to see players die as a result of fighting is a pretty wild statement.

The fact that players have been dealing with these health issues after (or sometimes during) their career's as enforcer's is the entire reason we are all here talking about it, doesn't seem like anyone's very happy about it.

There are literally people in this thread - and any thread on fighting - declaring that the players know the risks so if they want to fight, let them. These posters obviously don't care what happens to these players later in life, including if they die early, so long as fans get to see a fight that probably averages less than a minute in length.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:45 AM   #102
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I won’t cry when fighting is banned but I’m not against it. Their body their choice.

I think a little bit different back in the day, and obvious with the NFL and the hiding of concussion information, and maybe you could pretend not to know it cause issues. But now no one can claim that they think getting hit in the head multiple times doesn’t come without a risk. But so does sitting in the office for 8 hours a day.

So who am I to tell someone that they shouldn’t risk their health for millions of dollars, fame or glory but perfectly happy with people risking their health in various of other jobs for minimum wage? As long as it’s an informed decision, I think adults should have extreme control over their bodies, especially when it comes to having a career.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:25 PM   #103
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
I won’t cry when fighting is banned but I’m not against it. Their body their choice.

I think a little bit different back in the day, and obvious with the NFL and the hiding of concussion information, and maybe you could pretend not to know it cause issues. But now no one can claim that they think getting hit in the head multiple times doesn’t come without a risk. But so does sitting in the office for 8 hours a day.

So who am I to tell someone that they shouldn’t risk their health for millions of dollars, fame or glory but perfectly happy with people risking their health in various of other jobs for minimum wage? As long as it’s an informed decision, I think adults should have extreme control over their bodies, especially when it comes to having a career.
I don't feel it's my place to say the player shouldn't be allowed to make that choice and accept that trade-off if that's what they want, but as a fan and customer I feel happy to say I don't want to see it in the entertainment product being offered by the league.

I never watch either boxing or UFC because of this. I have zero desire to see people's brains getting battered and damaged. It's not entertaining to me. Still, there are enough people who do find it entertaining to make these sports into huge businesses, which speaks to PepsiFree's point about fans.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:37 PM   #104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think fighting ends up entirely being a player's choice. It's sort of pushed on a lot of them and that pressure is significant.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good