Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #321
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The jump between the AHL and the NHL is hard for people to comprehend. It’s not a matter of player X can play in the AHL, so can survive in the NHL. The NHL is magnitudes tougher than anything these players will experience. Every player in the NHL would be a scorer in the AHL. They are just on another level and Phillips, or any other player is going to struggle to score when making the jump. It doesn’t take much to find other players like Phillips who have been promoted to do nothing. The NHL is hard. A D+7 player is not goi g to step in and be a top six player let alone a difference maker.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #322
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The jump between the AHL and the NHL is hard for people to comprehend. It’s not a matter of player X can play in the AHL, so can survive in the NHL. The NHL is magnitudes tougher than anything these players will experience. Every player in the NHL would be a scorer in the AHL. They are just on another level and Phillips, or any other player is going to struggle to score when making the jump. It doesn’t take much to find other players like Phillips who have been promoted to do nothing. The NHL is hard. A D+7 player is not goi g to step in and be a top six player let alone a difference maker.
Well by that logic I guess no one should bother drafting Bedard. He's putting up all those points in an inferior league, and nothing he does will translate to the NHL level.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #323
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Then trade him.

To me you either bring him up or if you don’t want to trade him.

Best player in the NHL, should be able to get something for him.

Doing nothing is a waste of assets and bad asset management. Sell high.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #324
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Well by that logic I guess no one should bother drafting Bedard. He's putting up all those points in an inferior league, and nothing he does will translate to the NHL level.
That’s a dumb comment. A generational talent versus a late round draft pick that is seven years removed from being drafted. You’re better than that.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #325
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Then trade him.
You’re assuming anyone wants him. Every team has a Matthew Phillips.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #326
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, and guess what? There is only one way to find out. Same with Wolf. Bring them both up and play them, if it does not work out, send them back down.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #327
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Well, not quite, no other team has an AHL player in his age category who's nearly as productive or has had a similar track record of success. He fits into a common player archetype, but he's relatively unmatched in the AHL right now.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #328
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
He’s the best player in the AHL. Yeah, somebody will want him.

Also your logic is massively flawed and all you have done is sit around disagreeing with people.

Please, what is the best strategy right now for the Flames and Matthew Phillips. Do nothing, miss playoffs, watch him walk in free agency and receive no value or benefit from him? Sweet.

Also, is it your position that he literally could not do anything to make the NHL? If not, what can he do? What is good enough or what do you need to see? Why did they draft him if his size is too much of an issue?

Matthew Phillips has proven every single person in his career wrong that his size will make a difference. At every single level.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 12-03-2022 at 03:00 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #329
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Well, not quite, no other team has an AHL player in his age category who's nearly as productive or has had a similar track record of success. He fits into a common player archetype, but he's relatively unmatched in the AHL right now.
Come on. Barre-Boulet is 4th in AHL scoring and only one year older, 219 AHL games, 224 AHL points. So the body of work is greater and earlier too. You're going to use the age category caveat as your out but it's not.

I'm pro calling him up, but let's stuff the hyperbole
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #330
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Bedard was 25 and putting up Phillips’ AHL numbers, nobody would care.

If Phillips skating was even 80% of Gaudreau’s, he’d have been an NHL regular for the last three years at least.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #331
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also your logic is massively flawed and all you have done is sit around disagreeing with people.

Please, what is the best strategy right now for the Flames and Matthew Phillips. Do nothing, miss playoffs, watch him walk in free agency and receive no value or benefit from him? Sweet.

Also, is it your position that he literally could not do anything to make the NHL? If not, what can he do? What is good enough or what do you need to see? Why did they draft him if his size is too much of an issue?

Matthew Phillips has proven every single person in his career wrong that his size will make a difference. At every single level.
Oh, and they should absolutely call him up - he’s earned it. It’s bad form if they don’t, when an injury allows for it.

But he’s not going to come in and be St Louis, or Johnny, or Theo. He’s not the solution, he’s a short term fix.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #332
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames could get something tangible for him, they would trade him in a second.

I assume they cannot.

He has value to the Wranglers and the Flames trying to establish a fan base for them here is important.

He may have the best stats in the AHL, but he is nowhere close to being the best prospect in the AHL. He's basically on no team's radar as a viable NHL player.

He will leave as a UFA when the season is over, and go to a team that likely wants him for the same reason that Calgary wants him; to fill out its AHL roster.

Comparing him to Bedard is just silly. There are pro scouts who don't see him as a viable NHL player, otherwise Calgary would presumably bring him up. I see no downside in bringing him up, but I'm not a pro scout. I amy nit like it, but I have to respect the process.

I do know that if Sutter starts listening to the people in the stands, he'll shortly be sitting with them in the stands. Maybe he can dance with his son? That is sometimes the best entertainment at the game these days.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #333
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

He went through waivers after a very successful season in the AHL last year.

So now that he's had a good November teams will be lining up to trade for him?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #334
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Come on. Barre-Boulet is 4th in AHL scoring and only one year older, 219 AHL games, 224 AHL points. So the body of work is greater and earlier too. You're going to use the age category caveat as your out but it's not.

I'm pro calling him up, but let's stuff the hyperbole
No, not going to use that as an out — Barré-Boulet is a pretty direct comparable. He's had a few more NHL games and has scored some goals. Phillips' body of work this year is better than everyone else's in the AHL but Barré-Boulet is right there.

The Bedard post was silly. I think Phillips gets a Czarnik sink-or-swim contract next summer, though.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #335
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.47 PPG in the AHL, +5.

That’s why he’s not here.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #336
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a dumb comment. A generational talent versus a late round draft pick that is seven years removed from being drafted. You’re better than that.
You accusing me of comparing the two players when I clearly wasn't. You're better than that.

I was simply making a point that your "the NHL is hard" comment shouldn't be used as a one-size-fits-all argument against any and all players who succeed in other leagues getting an NHL shot.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #337
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
You accusing me of comparing the two players when I clearly wasn't. You're better than that.

I was simply making a point that your "the NHL is hard" comment shouldn't be used as a one-size-fits-all argument against any and all players who succeed in other leagues getting an NHL shot.
No but it's valid for professional tweeners and always has been.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #338
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then trade him.

To me you either bring him up or if you don’t want to trade him.

Best player in the NHL, should be able to get something for him.

Doing nothing is a waste of assets and bad asset management. Sell high.
Any team in the league has had multiple chances to have him for free....
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #339
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No but it's valid for professional tweeners and always has been.
What's that supposed to mean? A guy who has never been given a legit NHL shot should never get a legit NHL shot because... he's a tweener? How exactly can we be sure he's a tweener if he hasn't been given a real chance to show he's more than that?
Old 12-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #340
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He went through waivers after a very successful season in the AHL last year.

So now that he's had a good November teams will be lining up to trade for him?
I think you can probably get some kind of pick for him rather than waste the asset yep.

Last season 1.05 pts/game

This season 1.47 pts/game.

40% increase in production and leads the AHL? Ya, a pick will materialize.