Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 07:16 PM   #1
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default What is the/an economy?

I'm going to regret asking for this, but talk to me like I'm stoopid here. What exactly is an economy?

I was reading about the US economy and it was a pretty thorough article with points about household debt, employment rates, numbers of people on benefits, etc. The stats, according to the article, indicated that the economy was good. Yet, the majority of people surveyed felt it was bad .
The article then took aim at the idea that people think the economy is good when they feel that they have enough money and opportunity for advancement, and bad when they feel that they don't have enough money or opportunity.

It seems to me neither view, stats or feelings, really capture what an economy is but parts of each might.play a role? Surely the stats only matter if people think an economy is good.

What really is an economy?
Old 05-02-2024, 07:24 PM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAnOutrage View Post
No one really knows.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:31 PM   #3
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to regret asking for this, but talk to me like I'm stoopid here. What exactly is an economy?

I was reading about the US economy and it was a pretty thorough article with points about household debt, employment rates, numbers of people on benefits, etc. The stats, according to the article, indicated that the economy was good. Yet, the majority of people surveyed felt it was bad .
The article then took aim at the idea that people think the economy is good when they feel that they have enough money and opportunity for advancement, and bad when they feel that they don't have enough money or opportunity.

It seems to me neither view, stats or feelings, really capture what an economy is but parts of each might.play a role? Surely the stats only matter if people think an economy is good.

It’s basically every part of what keeps our society going. Some people seem to think it only has to do with financial stats.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:36 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

A man made ecosystem for a thing called civilizations?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:39 PM   #5
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
No one really knows.
I feel like you are right.

But if so, then isn't the economy just a common delusion?That can't be it.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:40 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of our resident condescending know-it-alls will be with you shortly. All our agents our currently busy serving other customers.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 07:41 PM   #7
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like you are right.

But if so, then isn't the economy just a common delusion?That can't be it.
It is an enigma.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:42 PM   #8
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
One of our resident condescending know-it-alls will be with you shortly. All our agents our currently busy serving other customers.
For once, I am counting on this.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:43 PM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I can't wait to read a good and ELI5-type answer.

This is a genuinely good question.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:48 PM   #10
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I can't wait to read a good and ELI5-type answer.

This is a genuinely good question.
Put simply it is all the interconnected policies and activities that convert resources into goods and make those available to consumers through markets at a given cost.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:51 PM   #11
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Put simply it is all the interconnected policies and activities that convert resources into goods and make those available to consumers through markets at a given cost.
So the/an economy is just a human endeavour? Like technology? That tracks.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:54 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

the difficulty is we measure 'the economy' by its average which is not a great measure for most people, consider 20 people in a bar having a drink, their average income might be 50,000 Bill Gates walks into the bar, all of a sudden their average wealth is about 5 billion each and yet nothing has changed for anyone
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:56 PM   #13
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel like opendoor is the man for this job.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 08:02 PM   #14
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the difficulty is we measure 'the economy' by its average which is not a great measure for most people, consider 20 people in a bar having a drink, their average income might be 50,000 Bill Gates walks into the bar, all of a sudden their average wealth is about 5 billion each and yet nothing has changed for anyone
Well, things are looking up for the bar, I guess.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:06 PM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I was holding out for Azure to tackle it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 08:24 PM   #16
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I thought we were certain opendoor wasn’t human.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:15 PM   #17
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google AI had an answer that was rather simple, but accurate based on my understanding. The answer was a blend of both quantitative and qualitative reasons so to some extent it is a man made concept. Here it is:

“ A country's economy is basically the giant system of buying and selling that happens within its borders. Here's a breakdown of the key parts:

People and Businesses: People work in businesses that produce goods (like factories and farms) and services (like teachers and doctors).
Production and Consumption: Businesses use resources to create goods and services that people then buy and consume.
Money Flow: Money flows through the economy as people buy goods and services from businesses, and businesses pay people for their work.
The health of the economy depends on how well all these parts work together. A strong economy means there's a healthy balance between production, consumption, and money flow. This can lead to things like more jobs, higher wages, and a better overall standard of living for the people in the country.”

Based on that definition there is a balance between how much and how freely money is changing hands (quantitative) and how good standards of living are (qualitative).
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:31 PM   #18
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Google AI had an answer that was rather simple, but accurate based on my understanding. The answer was a blend of both quantitative and qualitative reasons so to some extent it is a man made concept. Here it is:

“ A country's economy is basically the giant system of buying and selling that happens within its borders. Here's a breakdown of the key parts:

People and Businesses: People work in businesses that produce goods (like factories and farms) and services (like teachers and doctors).
Production and Consumption: Businesses use resources to create goods and services that people then buy and consume.
Money Flow: Money flows through the economy as people buy goods and services from businesses, and businesses pay people for their work.
The health of the economy depends on how well all these parts work together. A strong economy means there's a healthy balance between production, consumption, and money flow. This can lead to things like more jobs, higher wages, and a better overall standard of living for the people in the country.”

Based on that definition there is a balance between how much and how freely money is changing hands (quantitative) and how good standards of living are (qualitative).
I like that. I think the economy has 2 main jobs. Determining what goods/services get produced, and then determining who gets to consume those goods and services.

Obviously the more efficient the production becomes the more stuff there is to divide up on the consumption side.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:38 PM   #19
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flowing trade of goods
Currency, labour, demand
Economic bliss

Sorry, just wrapping up Shogun

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 05-02-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:43 PM   #20
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

"It's the real world basically.". Innit.

Language.
NSFW!

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote