Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 11:02 PM   #1481
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Coaching not to lose rarely works. Better team won.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 11:31 PM   #1482
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Football is a team game and you need to win MVPs to be considered the greatest? Just win.
I think you do not know what "football is a team game" means...
Old 02-11-2024, 11:49 PM   #1483
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Have you seen any other player, and players get mad at coaches often, go to that extent? And again, if Reid goes over and almost knocks over Kelce or the kicker for screwing up would that be ok too, in the heat of the moment?
It’s a total nothing burger. Reid is the coach of the team, he can deal with it if he feels it’s a problem. Sure doesn’t look like a problem from here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:07 AM   #1484
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Coaching not to lose rarely works. Better team won.
Teams were pretty evenly matched except at the QB position. Purdy deserves more credit than being called a game manager but he's simply not on the level of Mahomes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:11 AM   #1485
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It’s a total nothing burger. Reid is the coach of the team, he can deal with it if he feels it’s a problem. Sure doesn’t look like a problem from here.
The problem I have with it is that Reid almost falls over and being a big guy at his age it could have resulted in a pretty ugly scene for the NFL and even maybe an injury for Reid. A player shouldn't be putting his hands on any coach like that.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:10 AM   #1486
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

NFL players are better and it turned out to be a good game but it did make me appreciate CFL entertainment value. I’ll take the GC for excitement four times out of five. I’m happy the Kansas Swifty Chiefs won.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 08:37 AM   #1487
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

My VP called in sick today, as he's down in the Bay area. Guessing it was a rough night.

Morning after, really get to reflect at that last OT drive from Mahomes and how great it was.

So I heard that they said the final TD call was a version of that same 'corndog' play with which they torched the Eagles twice last year. Unreal.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:44 AM   #1488
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading about how the Niners didn't actually know the OT rules makes me wish they would have scored a TD on the opening drive. How awesome would it have been if they flooded the field thinking they won only to incur a 15-yard penalty on the EP, which of course they would have missed, to lose 26-25 when the Chiefs scored their TD. Obviously explains why Shanahan took the ball instead of deferring. Chiefs, meanwhile, talking about how they were absolutely ready for OT and had already practiced going for two to win if the Niners had score a TD on the opening drive...yeah. Shanahan just always seems to find a way to lose games he shouldn't.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-12-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:56 AM   #1489
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had read that Shanahan said they went through all the analytics and wanted to ensure that they got the ball in the event there was a 3rd possession. It makes some sense but is a decision that will be second guessed if it plays out like it did last night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #1490
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that's the thing, the assumption of a third possession is fatally flawed because of exactly what the Chiefs players said: They were ready to go for two if the Niners got a TD on their drive. The new rule changes have swung the advantage completely the other way, now kicking in OT is by far the smarter play. I suppose it's also kind of hindsight to say they should have been TD or bust once they did choose to receive, but thinking a FG was going to be enough to even get another chance, when Mahomes is the opposing QB, is also fatally flawed.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #1491
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, its the opportunities lost.

This was more about SF giving too many opportunities away.

They really should have been up by a bunch more after the first half. They were the better team and had the Chiefs on their heels. They were up 5 minutes in time of possessions and really had the Chiefs defense looking a little tired.

Even half way through the third, I wondered if Andy Reid hadn't done great adjustments.

But in the end, when SF got close they weren't great at punching it in.

PM is too good at the big moments and it showed in the last few drives of the game for KC.

I expect a ton of amateur coaches are taking motion more seriously in their game plans. The winning TD was typical chiefs and really simple to run.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #1492
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the new CFL…um NFL…overtime format.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:43 AM   #1493
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I had read that Shanahan said they went through all the analytics and wanted to ensure that they got the ball in the event there was a 3rd possession. It makes some sense but is a decision that will be second guessed if it plays out like it did last night.
The first part is correct. If you feel both defenses are gassed and touchdowns are easy, you want the ball 3rd. You look at the two games that caused the rule change. In the Super Bowl when the Patriots scored with a TD, would Atlanta have equalized? And if so, Patriots get the ball 3rd. Same with the infamous 13 second Bills-Chiefs game.

But if you get the ball first against Mahomes, you can't be kicking 27 yard field goals.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:47 AM   #1494
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Whoohoo, Back to back and 3 in 5 years!

I can't believe I got to see this. Love it!
Congrats!

In the years between the 1993 AFC title game and Patrick Mahomes' first season as a starter (1994-2017), the Chiefs went 1-10 in the playoffs and were 0-6 at home. they literally went 25 years and a few days between home playoff wins.

It is surreal for Chiefs fans to see possibly the best five-year run in NFL history after experiencing that.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #1495
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I was surprised they deferred too. It's not like K.C just had a 6 minute drive at the end of the game. It was like 1:40. Than not going for it on 4th down in OT inside the 10 and 4 yards to go...tough call but I think you go for it.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:53 AM   #1496
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Also, it's easier said than done going 2nd. There's a lot of pressure playing from behind. Yeah, you know what you have to do but you still have to execute it. Any mistake and the game is over. The Cowboys would #### that up in 2 seconds. The Chiefs had to convert 4th and 1 at one point.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #1497
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was surprised they deferred too. It's not like K.C just had a 6 minute drive at the end of the game. It was like 1:40. Than not going for it on 4th down in OT inside the 10 and 4 yards to go...tough call but I think you go for it.
I get it though. If you score first, even a FG, the other team still needs to march down the field and kick a FG to tie or TD to win. A lot of things can happen on a drive like fumble, tipped ball interception, missed FG, etc and I imagine the thinking was that they had faith in their defense to either limit the Chiefs to a FG or get a game clinching play on defense. It didn't work out but if it did everyone would be calling him a genius. It's just one of those things like going for it on 4th down in FG position in a close game where you get the glory if it works out or have to live with the consequences if it doesn't work out.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #1498
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just should have, once down in that position, played it as TD or bust. If you turn over on downs, the Chiefs still need to go 50 yards to kick winning field goal. And Yeah, the Chiefs could have driven the field and gone for 2 if it came to that. I'm not sure they would have.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:58 AM   #1499
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I get it though. If you score first, even a FG, the other team still needs to march down the field and kick a FG to tie or TD to win. A lot of things can happen on a drive like fumble, tipped ball interception, missed FG, etc and I imagine the thinking was that they had faith in their defense to either limit the Chiefs to a FG or get a game clinching play on defense. It didn't work out but if it did everyone would be calling him a genius. It's just one of those things like going for it on 4th down in FG position in a close game where you get the glory if it works out or have to live with the consequences if it doesn't work out.
Those same things can happen if they had KC go first.

Also every time KC needed to answer they did and easily.

Shanahan freezes in the Super Bowl.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #1500
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree on going for it on 4th down in OT. You give the ball to Mahomes and he only needs a field goal to win the Superbowl (potentially), and that's just a brutal decision.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote