Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #1541
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I run KO2's all year round. No concerns at all.
2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Those look a little noisy?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #1542
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Those look a little noisy?
They're softer than they look, which makes them decent in the winter as well. Much quieter than something like a Duratrac or Toyo Open Country M/T, A/T or C/T
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #1543
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

dang, btimbit knows his tires.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #1544
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, well I've owned probably around 20 trucks for my company in the last 5 years so I've had a chance to really play around with different tires and whatnot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #1545
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's your preferred place to buy, btimbit?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #1546
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's really no wrong answer, if I know what I'm looking for I just go for the best sale/price. Most recently that was Fountain Tire, they have 25% off Goodyear right now. Kaltire is usually expensive. Costco is popular and prices aren't bad, but the selection is always poor, they don't seem to stock truck tires. Surprisingly, tires are one thing dealers aren't that bad for. Lots of spring rebates this time of year
Old 04-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #1547
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sweet Porsche pic that TimSJ posted in the middle of Truck talk made me think of something.

It's been interesting to see how the mid-life crisis for Men has evolved from a sick sports car to a sick pickup truck. No less than 5 guys in my similarly aged friend group have gone for $60-80K pickups (before mods and wheel/tire upgrades) this year whereas before it probably lead to something German and fast.

I'm guessing it comes down to a few factors:

- Insanely good financing, leasing, and cash incentives (like Ford's deal on F150's above)
- A need to pull a trailer (or claimed plans to do so in the future)
- Easier to justify from a 'practicality' point of view
- Space for a family of 5
- The macho/survivalist/bug out image is in - svelte urbanist is out
- People are having kids at 35-40 commonly, which makes mid-life co-incide with peak parenting ages

That said.... bad marital related decisions are still being made as they always have....

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #1548
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The sweet Porsche pic that TimSJ posted in the middle of Truck talk made me think of something.

It's been interesting to see how the mid-life crisis for Men has evolved from a sick sports car to a sick pickup truck. No less than 5 guys in my similarly aged friend group have gone for $60-80K pickups (before mods and wheel/tire upgrades) this year whereas before it probably lead to something German and fast.

I'm guessing it comes down to a few factors:

- Insanely good financing, leasing, and cash incentives (like Ford's deal on F150's above)
- A need to pull a trailer (or claimed plans to do so in the future)
- Easier to justify from a 'practicality' point of view
- Space for a family of 5
- The macho/survivalist/bug out image is in - svelte urbanist is out
- People are having kids at 35-40 commonly, which makes mid-life co-incide with peak parenting ages

That said.... bad marital related decisions are still being made as they always have....
Holy crap, you're super right. Hadn't really thought of that before. Despite having had numerous trucks, I'm not really a truck guy. They're just a super practical vehicle if you need one. Never get me excited, though. My 40ish year old friends have nice trucks, but none have cool cars (except me, hah). Would love to have some friends be into fun cars.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #1549
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't want to be the old guy in a Hawaiian shirt driving a Corvette, so I bought my "mid-life crisis car" when I was 30. It was something German and fast.

Now that I'm 40, and getting closer to the traditional mid-life crisis age, my dream car would probably be an imported VW California van. So not a pimped-out truck, but definitely closer to what Hulse speaks to.

Still have the sports car though. My mid-life crisis dream is to just keep adding cars.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #1550
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I run KO2's all year round. No concerns at all.
2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Yokohama Geolanders here, year round. Pretty quiet on the highways.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #1551
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've ran two sets of KO2s on my truck over the last 10 years. I will probably buy a third set in the next year or two, they are good tires in all conditions, but get noisier when they are worn.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:36 PM   #1552
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
before it probably lead to something German and fast.
Very likely in the minority here, but I got something German and fast when I was a teenager and I've rarely not owned something in that category since.

Love my truck but I'd still rather cheap out on my utility vehicle/DD and save the extra cash for a fun second car/midlife crisis car. Makes more sense to me than dropping 80k + on a Denali but whatever does it for you I guess.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #1553
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Very likely in the minority here, but I got something German and fast when I was a teenager and I've rarely not owned something in that category since.

Love my truck but I'd still rather cheap out on my utility vehicle/DD and save the extra cash for a fun second car/midlife crisis car. Makes more sense to me than dropping 80k + on a Denali but whatever does it for you I guess.
Same as me (aside from an American muscle car as a teenager), but from 2007 to now I've owned exclusively European performance-oriented cars, either German or British. Wife has a Kia Soul. If I end up with a winter car instead of us just relying on the one car in the winter, I've already decided it's either German or British again.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #1554
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had sports cars on and off since I graduated from school... Both my cars are German now, but only because they happen to be the cars that meet my rather niche requirements. Which is to say, my practical car needs to be a manual wagon, and my sports car needs to be a moderately quick coupe with good road feel and also a manual. There are only a couple of good manual wagons in existence at this point. And I actually didn't want to own a Porsche, because people immediately think you're just driving it for status or whatever... but there simply wasn't a better driving vehicle available at anywhere near the price. And even stepping up in price I probably would have wound up with a manual R8, so I'd still be in Germany.

I've always had a thing for Japanese cars, and I'll probably own another one (or more than one) at some point. Maybe a 70's Celica, maybe another Datsun S30. I also have an appreciation for the old British roadsters because we had an MGB and a Triumph when I was growing up, and those were my Grandfather's favourite types of sports cars. Though my Grandma was all about the Japanese cars too... she's 93 years old, and drives an S2000.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:32 PM   #1555
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I didn't want to be the old guy in a Hawaiian shirt driving a Corvette, so I bought my "mid-life crisis car" when I was 30. It was something German and fast.

Now that I'm 40, and getting closer to the traditional mid-life crisis age, my dream car would probably be an imported VW California van. So not a pimped-out truck, but definitely closer to what Hulse speaks to.

Still have the sports car though. My mid-life crisis dream is to just keep adding cars.
Ha - I'd love nothing more than to buy a Ford Transit T350 HR and build it out deluxe to #vanlife. My wife would rather me get something fast and German...

Interestingly enough two of the above people I mentioned going truck "downgraded" from S6 and Cayenne S's. They learned painful lessons on German depreciation.

As for my above theorem on the MMLC (man mid life crisis) - kids are key to this. No kids - and you can forgo practicality...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #1556
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Ha - I'd love nothing more than to buy a Ford Transit T350 HR and build it out deluxe to #vanlife. My wife would rather me get something fast and German...

Interestingly enough two of the above people I mentioned going truck "downgraded" from S6 and Cayenne S's. They learned painful lessons on German depreciation.

As for my above theorem on the MMLC (man mid life crisis) - kids are key to this. No kids - and you can forgo practicality...
I love the idea of building out a van. I've made blackout blinds and some cool vandwelling stuff for my Sienna and have had a lot of fun on overnighters and weekends in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #1557
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've had sports cars on and off since I graduated from school... Both my cars are German now, but only because they happen to be the cars that meet my rather niche requirements. Which is to say, my practical car needs to be a manual wagon, and my sports car needs to be a moderately quick coupe with good road feel and also a manual. There are only a couple of good manual wagons in existence at this point. And I actually didn't want to own a Porsche, because people immediately think you're just driving it for status or whatever... but there simply wasn't a better driving vehicle available at anywhere near the price. And even stepping up in price I probably would have wound up with a manual R8, so I'd still be in Germany.

I've always had a thing for Japanese cars, and I'll probably own another one (or more than one) at some point. Maybe a 70's Celica, maybe another Datsun S30. I also have an appreciation for the old British roadsters because we had an MGB and a Triumph when I was growing up, and those were my Grandfather's favourite types of sports cars. Though my Grandma was all about the Japanese cars too... she's 93 years old, and drives an S2000.
A Youtuber I follow is selling a 77 Corolla. Is it anything special? No, but I would love to buy it. Just a dead simple car that I think looks cool and would be fun to drive.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ota-corolla-2/

If I ever buy a truck for any reason other than to haul something then shoot me. It's all about ego for a lot of truck owners and they love clogging the roads with their overcompensators. Practical, my ass.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #1558
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I love Audi, but I don't know what it is about the R8. It's just never done it for me. I hate the intakes, especially on the first gen, but even the body shape doesn't really grab me.

I think Porsche's have a great mix of performance and reliability in that realm. People can really mile out Porsches. I'm not a Porsche guy, but if I was given 200000 with the requirement to buy a performance car, it would be a 911. The idea of owning a Ferrari would be better than actually owning a Ferrari I think. They're beautiful but I would be scared to drive it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #1559
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I owned one, in blue. Ran the same carb went back to stock since that one freezes up in cold weather. Could easily roast the tires in 1st and 2nd the 2T-C has balls.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #1560
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is really wild. She should have an article or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I love Audi, but I don't know what it is about the R8. It's just never done it for me. I hate the intakes, especially on the first gen, but even the body shape doesn't really grab me.

I think Porsche's have a great mix of performance and reliability in that realm. People can really mile out Porsches. I'm not a Porsche guy, but if I was given 200000 with the requirement to buy a performance car, it would be a 911. The idea of owning a Ferrari would be better than actually owning a Ferrari I think. They're beautiful but I would be scared to drive it.
They couldn't even do their RWD R8, in a proper transmission.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote