Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #181
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My el cheapo winter tires on my 96 Jetta were damn near unstoppable in the snow. I was worried about the low clearance of the vehicle, but I was able to go where other (bigger) vehicles could not. Even my Dad's truck (non 4x4, however) got stuck a couple of times.

In fact, I was able to stop, get out and push random people out of the snow, and then continue on without getting stuck myself.

Of course, my Dad's a winter tire sceptic. I asked him why my little Jetta had no issues and his truck was stuck in the same snow (we were in convoy to my sister's place nearby). Silence.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #182
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The only downside I have noticed with the tires is if I am stopped at a set of lights that is especially icy the tires do slip a bit when I start to move. This may be normal with most winter tires, I don't know, but it could probably be remedied partly by me being a little lighter in the foot. But they are still substantially better than my old tires when stopped a set of lights (which sometimes I would miss the light because I couldn't get moving).
I think that you're right when you say that you can probably fix it by just giving it a little less gas. I drive two manual cars, and I let the RPMs stay as low as possible (borderline stalling) to get the best traction. Not to the point where the car is shaking because that wouldn't be good for the engine, but as low as possible.

Automatic might be a little harder, but you can always try the low gear and/or let the car idle itself forward a little to get a little momentum before going on the gas a touch.

You'll get used to them. I'm glad that you can notice the difference - I wasn't sure what to expect last year when I became a winter tire convert, but it is safe to say that I'll never go back.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #183
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

While we're talking winter tires, I have a question for the CP brain trust:

I bought a set of tires this fall, second hand, for my other car. The rim and tire size was a direct match for my car and the price was great. The things look barely used. Plus they came mounted on alloys, so they look nicer than the black steelies on the other car.

A google search for "Yokohama Guardex" shows that these are definitely winter tires, and the tread is obviously winter tread, but there's no little snowflake icon (which is supposed to be on all winter tires) on the sides. Yokohama's new literature on these tires shows the snowflake.

All that I have is a little icon of a deer. Yes, a deer. Not sure what this means. It could be that the tires are older and predate the snowflake. Or it could be that they were purchased in a different market.

The bottom line is, they perform well but not quite as well as the ones on my other car. I'm just curious about the little deer. Of course, being second hand, I'll never truly know the history of where and when they were bought.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #184
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the number of the Guardex's you have?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #185
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What's the number of the Guardex's you have?
600. It also says "studless" (which is fairly obvious).

Just ran out and checked... that woke me up!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #186
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

600s are a really old version. They're a few generations behind.

You might have gotten a US version of the tire. I think that the severe winter logo is a Canadian thing only.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #187
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My el cheapo winter tires on my 96 Jetta were damn near unstoppable in the snow. I was worried about the low clearance of the vehicle, but I was able to go where other (bigger) vehicles could not. Even my Dad's truck (non 4x4, however) got stuck a couple of times.

In fact, I was able to stop, get out and push random people out of the snow, and then continue on without getting stuck myself.

Of course, my Dad's a winter tire sceptic. I asked him why my little Jetta had no issues and his truck was stuck in the same snow (we were in convoy to my sister's place nearby). Silence.
To be fair, snow tires as recently as the 80s and even into the 90s were no better than all-seasons. This is why so many people from the older generation don't trust them. Heck, I was never impressed with the Arctic Alpins I used to have for my old Saturn.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #188
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured it would be something like that. They also came on "CSA" brand alloys, which aren't all that common in Canada either. They're made in Australia of all places. So it is very likely that this tire/rim combo came from outside of Canada.

Thanks for the help - that should quench my curiosity! They're performing as they should, and are still many times better than the all-seasons I tried to get by with last winter.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #189
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there a problem running winter tires in summer? I have a car that is rarely used in summer and am thinking of just leaving the winters on it.
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #190
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctordestiny View Post
Is there a problem running winter tires in summer? I have a car that is rarely used in summer and am thinking of just leaving the winters on it.
Softer compound tire will wear out quickly when not used in the cold/snow.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #191
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Softer compound tire will wear out quickly when not used in the cold/snow.
Plus they are louder and don't handle as well (including longer stopping distances).

If you're putting on just a couple of thousand kms in the summer though I would probably leave them on, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #192
hockeycop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I went to the stealership back in the summer and got a quote for winter tires for a Dodge Charger SRT8... They wanted $800 per tire (245/45R20)... I looked at downsizing rims but couldn't find a Canadian retailer who had rims at a decent price that would fit over the brake calipers... Then I found the tire rack!

Ended up getting 19" rims wrapped with Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice shipped from the US. Only cost $1900 total. Compared to Canadian prices, it was a great deal!

This was the first time ever that I had winter tires. They are incredible! I was on the "all-season tires are good enough" side of the argument until trying winters. I am now on the "people arguing against winter tires are borderline ######ed" side. Thank you CP for educating me.

P.S. I am jealous of you guys and your $500 sets of winters. Yes, you save money... But my car is way more fun!
hockeycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #193
brownie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just picked up a set of Michelin X-ices and I must say they are a world of difference. I haven't used winter tires before but after the last couple of days I cant see myself going back to all seasons.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #194
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
I just picked up a set of Michelin X-ices and I must say they are a world of difference. I haven't used winter tires before but after the last couple of days I cant see myself going back to all seasons.
You mean just in the winter right? Using them all year round would be a huge mistake.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #195
brownie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
You mean just in the winter right? Using them all year round would be a huge mistake.
Yeah I mean just in the winter.....if you take them off mid to late April they should last a few years.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #196
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, this year I got General Altimax Arctics for the Sienna. Went down a rim size to 16" from 17". This usually results in better traction and a possible gain in fuel economy. The Ford Escape has Nokian WRG2s on the OEM 16" rims.

The Generals are still better in the really frigid cold. I found the WRG2s lost some traction below -20C. Above that I found them to almost, but still not quite, match the traction of the Generals on packed snow. Either choice are far, far, far better than standard all-seasons.

Both were excellent in deep snow. The WRG2s are better on wet surfaces. They also corner far better than the Generals. They are also quieter and have a better sound profile.

Generals are definitely better on ice. On this the WRG2s are quite poor.

Braking is also better with the Generals. The WRG2s have a nasty habit of kicking in the ABS far too soon. You really need to threshold brake with them.

The Nokians still have a bit of work to do. I wouldn't mind a tire that was rated for less mileage if it meant more traction. Overall they're above average but have some serious problems with ice. Also, they're only available through Kal-Tire, and I have yet to have an experience with them that didn't involve them screwing something up.

The other previous winter tires I've had are Michelin Arctic Alpins, Nokian WRs and Kumho KW11s. The Generals are far better than either the Alpins and the KW11s. The Alpins I found to be below average (braking especially was very poor). The KW11s were great for overall traction, however they were terrible for handling and were extremely loud. The WRs I thought were great, and didn't have the weird braking problems that the WRG2s have. They also seemed better on ice. However, the WRG2s definitely handle better and have a better ride.

EDIT: I should also add that it's the second year with the Nokians (17000km on them). One thing that has really pleased me about them is that they've pretty well been the same since day one.

Last edited by Shazam; 12-18-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #197
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great review.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #198
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Winter Tires

I just threw a set of Hankook IceBear W300s on my Mazda 6 wagon. So far, very happy with the purchase. Car tracks MUCH better in the snow, holds the line around corners much better, and is just more responsive with braking/acceleration on the winter roads. This is my first set of winter tires, an I am definitely a convert.

I'm not sure how people can say they don't see a difference between winter tires and their all seasons. Maybe if they are new all seasons and have full tread, but even then I find it hard to believe. To each their own, I guess.

I can't imagine what my AWD Honda Element would be like with winter tires. It drives quite well with my all seasons, but with winter tires I imagine it'd be like driving on rails.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #199
mrgreen
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I use Yokohama Ice Guard IG20's on an AWD Escape. They're awesome.
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #200
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I just threw a set of Hankook IceBear W300s on my Mazda 6 wagon. So far, very happy with the purchase. Car tracks MUCH better in the snow, holds the line around corners much better, and is just more responsive with braking/acceleration on the winter roads. This is my first set of winter tires, an I am definitely a convert.

I'm not sure how people can say they don't see a difference between winter tires and their all seasons. Maybe if they are new all seasons and have full tread, but even then I find it hard to believe. To each their own, I guess.

I can't imagine what my AWD Honda Element would be like with winter tires. It drives quite well with my all seasons, but with winter tires I imagine it'd be like driving on rails.
I have winter tires on my AWD car and it is crazy awesome. I have noticed my wife's fwd Sienna with winter tires is about as good, though. The traction control/stability control in our Toyota is phenomenal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote