Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #1
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Moving to the US and buying a business

After 25yrs in Calgary, my wife and I are considering a move down to the US through a E2/L1 visa. Does anyone have any experience with this process and what kind of experience did you have? Seems like our best option is to purchase a franchised business but would welcome feedback.
P.S. Have already been in contact with an immigration lawyer and several different franchises.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Glock 19 or Springfield XD?
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2023, 06:44 AM   #3
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You’re going to want to familiarize yourself with the SBA program. There have been changes made to it recently that I’m not 100% up to speed on.

What area are you moving to and are you working with any buy side brokers?

I can recommend brokers, lawyers, QoE reviewers and lending agents if you’re interested.

IMO, don’t buy a franchise. What are your skills and interests?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no useful input except to say this is interesting- please post updates!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you. I don’t have a ton to add either other than location is everything. The US is incredibly diverse in most every way. Do you have a part of the country and type of business in mind?

A friend of mine bought some Verizon store franchises a while back after retiring. He seems to be killing it.

Another friend bought a Chick Fil A franchise and she also seems to be doing very well. But those are really hard to get into, she had a family connection.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We're looking at more service-based franchise opportunities, ie. Home renovation etc. Think we've narrowed it down to either greater Phoenix area, Nashville area and Vegas metro. Had considered parts of Texas but that's unlikely at this time. I'd definitely consider North and South Carolina but my wife is concerned about the distance from her parents, who would likely remain in Calgary.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #7
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve known people who bought a franchise but the costs tore through their profits so they ditched the franchise and opened the same but non-franchised business. They’re doing much better. You don’t have the name recognition but you’re not sending loads of money to the parent company.

I’d also avoid places like Texas, Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas because of politics and gun violence.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:16 PM   #8
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope you post updates on how things go for you. I’m curious how you’ll find living/working down there. My wife is American and we’ve talked about moving to Tennessee or Illinois but a little too settled here I guess.

The gun violence thing is interesting as it is so exaggerated by the Canadian press. Tragic and more dangerous then Canada for sure, but US homicides by firearms were higher yearly from 1970 to around 2000 then they are now. 1974 was a far more dangerous time to live or visit the US.

The people are great too. There is an odd superiority Canadian exhibit towards Americans as if they are all stupid. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Anyways I wish you well.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 04:20 PM   #9
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
We're looking at more service-based franchise opportunities, ie. Home renovation etc. Think we've narrowed it down to either greater Phoenix area, Nashville area and Vegas metro. Had considered parts of Texas but that's unlikely at this time. I'd definitely consider North and South Carolina but my wife is concerned about the distance from her parents, who would likely remain in Calgary.
I would say while you might picture yourself driving back to Calgary relatively frequently as you get older the drive from Vegas will be just as much a pain as driving from the East Coast, you wont do either, you will fly, at that point it doesn't matter where you are
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #10
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would say while you might picture yourself driving back to Calgary relatively frequently as you get older the drive from Vegas will be just as much a pain as driving from the East Coast, you wont do either, you will fly, at that point it doesn't matter where you are
Agreed that driving likely won't happen often, but somewhere with direct flights to Calgary would be a huge benefit, such as Vegas or Phoenix areas

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 07:08 PM   #11
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, that is our thought process as well. We want to make it easier for the in-laws to visit their grandkids. We would very rarely drive back to Canada, so a direct flight makes way more sense.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:20 PM   #12
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
I hope you post updates on how things go for you. I’m curious how you’ll find living/working down there. My wife is American and we’ve talked about moving to Tennessee or Illinois but a little too settled here I guess.

The gun violence thing is interesting as it is so exaggerated by the Canadian press. Tragic and more dangerous then Canada for sure, but US homicides by firearms were higher yearly from 1970 to around 2000 then they are now. 1974 was a far more dangerous time to live or visit the US.

The people are great too. There is an odd superiority Canadian exhibit towards Americans as if they are all stupid. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Anyways I wish you well.
The smug superiority complex of many Canadians regarding America is ridiculous and I agree, it's not accurate at all.

Friends/family I know that have moved there also really love it.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the people with incomes in the CP demographic though have a different experience than the average American. The O+G people I know who went to Houston said it was great and their kids loved it. Private schools, pool in the back yard, Heath Care is still stupid but with a decent employer plan was only a few grad a year more.

Have fun
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 08:31 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like a great adventure. If you look at cities with direct flights to Calgary maybe that broadens your choices a bit. But you know your family best.

Make sure to consider state income taxes and property taxes. You definitely have higher and lower cost of living states down here. Every state has its advantages so best to decide what’s important to you. All the cities you mentioned certainly have some appeal even though I’m partial to Texas.

I don’t want to get into a debate about America vs. Canada. All I’d say is that if you are looking for advice, I’d be wary of limiting yourself to Canadians views of America and try to talk to as many locals as you can. A previous poster said it quite well I thought.

And of course remember to factor in costs of health care. If self employed, you’ll be buying your own health insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 08:59 PM   #15
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying back to Calgary from most of the US is not too difficult even if you have to take a connection. Visiting parents in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island is another story!

i'd definitely look at some smaller cities in the milliionish metro pop range. They are usually a lot more liveable and affordable, and businesses are often thriving. Cities like Tucson, Raleigh, Austin, Richmond, Colombus, and many others. ie, getting a house and a nice golf membership in a city like that is a tiny fraction of the bigger cities, and a lot of them have good culture, food and outdoor things to do.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 06:40 AM   #16
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are thinking Carolinas, check out Greenville. I've been working there on and off for a couple years and there is a lot to like. More of a mid sized city, but air connections are decent. GSP-ATL-YYC isn't much more than half a day. It is growing quite fast, so there are some growing pains but the traffic they complain about is nothing compared to Houston for example.

Blueridge Mountains are right there, and it is just a couple hours drive to the coast. Charlotte and Atlanta are within driving range if need be. The food scene is surprisingly good, they have some decent microbreweries. They are a hub for engineering companies in the SE and there is lots of auto manufacturing and related industries. (BMW and Michelin are there). This leads to a decently educated workforce and likely demand for the types of businesses you are looking at.

Crime is present but not excessive. I walk all over the place downtown after work and never feel unsafe. Politics is certainly different than mine, but it rarely comes up.

All in all, from knowing nothing two years ago I have come around to quite liking it. My wife loves the weather.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Flying back to Calgary from most of the US is not too difficult even if you have to take a connection. Visiting parents in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island is another story!

i'd definitely look at some smaller cities in the milliionish metro pop range. They are usually a lot more liveable and affordable, and businesses are often thriving. Cities like Tucson, Raleigh, Austin, Richmond, Colombus, and many others. ie, getting a house and a nice golf membership in a city like that is a tiny fraction of the bigger cities, and a lot of them have good culture, food and outdoor things to do.
Austin is very nice but pricy. By far the most expensive place you could choose in TX.

OP said he was considering Phoenix so I would agree Tucson would be an interesting alternative. Although for me, having a direct flight back to Calgary has been a must. Would not live anywhere that was not available.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #18
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
I don't know, firearms murders in the US are approaching their peak again, so I don't think it's that far off. They peaked at 7.2 per 100K in the '70s, hovered around 3.5-4.5 from the late '90s to 2020, but have now nearly doubled and are back up to 6.7 per 100K.

Objectively, it's still generally safe, and gun violence is normally centered around certain areas, but you never know. One of the last times I was in Palm Springs (hardly a dangerous area of note) I heard a guy get shot and killed in the middle of the day about a block away from where I was. Then about a week later, a random customer got murdered at the outlet malls during a hold up a few hours after I had been there. I can't say I have experienced either of those things in a lifetime in Canada.

For the OP, not sure of the age of your kids, but if they're older you'll definitely want to double check the implications of living there while on a non-immigrant visa. My understanding is that if you live there on an E2, they can't ever work and they'll need to quality for a different kind of visa to remain in the country once they're 21 (or they can leave).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #19
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't consider anything in Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. Water is a big problem for all of them. Arizona and Nevada are front and center to the crisis facing the Lower Colorado Water Basin. Municipalities in both states are already initiating their crisis plans for conserving water. Utah faces an ecological timebomb as the Great Salt Lake dries out and exposes arsenic in the soil and the dust becomes toxic. The SW is really hurting right now and more and more people keep moving here putting even more pressure on resources we are short on. It also doesn't help that Saudi Arabia is draining our aquafers to grow alfalfa. The southwest is seriously ####ed.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 03:50 PM   #20
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

Agree with this. We have really enjoyed our time in Tulsa. A lot of things going on to keep you entertained without being a giant city. Can't say I'm crazy about the social/political aspect of living in Oklahoma, but definitely think it fits the mid sized options you are promoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
If you are thinking Carolinas, check out Greenville. I've been working there on and off for a couple years and there is a lot to like. More of a mid sized city, but air connections are decent. GSP-ATL-YYC isn't much more than half a day. It is growing quite fast, so there are some growing pains but the traffic they complain about is nothing compared to Houston for example.

Blueridge Mountains are right there, and it is just a couple hours drive to the coast. Charlotte and Atlanta are within driving range if need be. The food scene is surprisingly good, they have some decent microbreweries. They are a hub for engineering companies in the SE and there is lots of auto manufacturing and related industries. (BMW and Michelin are there). This leads to a decently educated workforce and likely demand for the types of businesses you are looking at.

Crime is present but not excessive. I walk all over the place downtown after work and never feel unsafe. Politics is certainly different than mine, but it rarely comes up.

All in all, from knowing nothing two years ago I have come around to quite liking it. My wife loves the weather.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Also a good suggestion. We spent 3 years living in South Carolina and the Greenville Spartanburg area was very nice. South Carolina is another very conservative place, but the GSA region is much more moderate. Similar to Tulsa really in that sense. The nice thing about that area though is you can get to plenty of good destinations with a short to medium drive.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote