Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #81
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I alone in that I believe that parking sensors are a lot more useful than cameras? I absolutely hate when I have to drive a vehicle and I find out that it doesn't have proximity sensors. I could honestly live without rear or full around view cameras if I had front and rear proximity sensors instead.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #82
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Funny, I HATE proximity sensors and feel they should be removed from vehicles.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #83
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Am I alone in that I believe that parking sensors are a lot more useful than cameras? I absolutely hate when I have to drive a vehicle and I find out that it doesn't have proximity sensors. I could honestly live without rear or full around view cameras if I had front and rear proximity sensors instead.
We have a car with only sensors, and one with only a camera. Ideally you have both, but I much prefer the sensors. With cameras, you have to keep your eyes on the screen (which I hate), while with sensors you get secondary feedback while still looking back or scanning around. In essence, you have the ability to use two senses, not one.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #84
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
We have a car with only sensors, and one with only a camera. Ideally you have both, but I much prefer the sensors. With cameras, you have to keep your eyes on the screen (which I hate), while with sensors you get secondary feedback while still looking back or scanning around. In essence, you have the ability to use two senses, not one.
Also, in the winter a camera can become pretty useless if the lens is dirty while sensors will continue to function. Of course some cars are now hiding the cameras so that they stay clean but that is still pretty rare.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #85
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Funny, I HATE proximity sensors and feel they should be removed from vehicles.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #86
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah both is great, but if I had to choose between the two the sensors would come first.

Half the time in the winter I forget to clean the camera lens and it's useless to me but the sensors still work.

I wonder if that's an annoying downside of cars that have 360 views or some that are starting to even forego mirrors for cameras entirely.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #87
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah both is great, but if I had to choose between the two the sensors would come first.

Half the time in the winter I forget to clean the camera lens and it's useless to me but the sensors still work.

I wonder if that's an annoying downside of cars that have 360 views or some that are starting to even forego mirrors for cameras entirely.
As far as I know, real side mirrors are still a legal requirement.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #88
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ah ok, I've seen a few models featuring cameras instead of mirrors but I guess the laws would have to change to sell them like that.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #89
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, new tires

It's like Christmas in June. I love new tires
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #90
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, seems my Dashcam ask, was quite limiting -- but seems I've figured it out.
The app is finicky, but I was able to adjust when it records (parking), and the sensitivity to movement.

Anyhoo, random car thought:
I believe starting in the MK6 generation, VW introduced the Soundaktor. Basically, they found a way to amplify the exhaust note into the cabin of the car. Lots of purists hated it, calling it artificial etc; On my Mk6 R (2013), it was removed and swapped with a performance exhaust. Louder, more aggressive etc;

Then on my Mk7 (2017), I left the car stock except for rims, and same goes with my Mk7.5 (2019). And ya know what, I'm totally cool with the Soundaktor now. I feel exhausts and their noise, are really only for the driver/owner of the vehicle. It's almost narcissistic to apply one's own loud sounding exhaust note, and forcibly (obnoxiously) apply it to the masses (those nearby), to "enjoy" also.

Where'as, the Soundaktor only amplifies inside the cabin, for myself - the driver.

Perhaps this is coming along with age, as well as living in Mission, but almost ALL loud exhausts are gross sounding, and annoying.

tldr
Exhausts; Used to be all about them. Now, I think you're a d!ck for forcing it upon others.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #91
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fake exhaust sounds. Man, life is getting hella lame.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #92
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Fake exhaust sounds. Man, life is getting hella lame.
Infringing on you and your HA's need for straight-pipes tied to safety, amirite?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #93
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exhaust systems are great if they sound good and are not oppressively loud. Enjoy them while they last, soon everything will be electric and the glorious noise of an inline 6 or v8 will be gone.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #94
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live on a busy street and my office faces said street. I hate the motorcycles that feel the need to share their experience with everyone within 10 miles. However, there are a couple of mustang owners that live in our area and hearing their growls is always a bit of a rush. Not sure what the difference is but I find the cars' exhaust sounds very viscerally pleasing.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #95
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy the sound of a quality exhaust but really there's not a lot of good ones out there that aren't V8+. Pretty well all turbo 4-cylinder engines sound terrible (including Subaru boxers) and there's a small handful of 6 cylinder engines (Audi 5 cylinder as well) that sound good. The rest can all be quiet as far as I'm concerned which is why I like the artificial sound piping into the interior as owners of terrible sounding engines can drive around with nice pretend noise while not subjecting the rest of us to a loud and obnoxious exhaust that doesn't sound good.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #96
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Infringing on you and your HA's need for straight-pipes tied to safety, amirite?
Well, my Suzuki has its factory pipes. But I do pipe my ‘motorcycle soundtrack’ in to my helmet, because man I just feel so ALIVE when I hear that sweet, sweet computer generated panhead roar.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #97
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live a block away from a hill, and listening to motorcycles brwaahhh up it every time I am in my yard grinds my gears. Really wish all vehicles had better requirements for exhaust noise, but bikes are 95% of the problem. And f off with your loud pipes save lives garbage.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #98
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Well, my Suzuki has its factory pipes. But I do pipe my ‘motorcycle soundtrack’ in to my helmet, because man I just feel so ALIVE when I hear that sweet, sweet computer generated panhead roar.
Don't you stick out like a sore thumb, on a Suzuki?
Old 06-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #99
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Diesel engines = the worst of them all. Love me a good turbo whine but I loathe diesel engine noise. Just the worst.

After that, Harleys and other like sounding cruiser bikes. You won't ever he me complain about how a Ducati sounds ripping off somewhere.

Best engine sound and I hate to say it, is the flat plane v8s from Ford. Ooof. Actually the small liter v8s from Germany too. They sound best.

Yobbos who run their civics with loud exhaust are petulant little children who have no idea what they're doing. No, you're not cool for making your v -tech 4 cylinder sound like a dying rhino.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #100
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone ever had a dealership charge after the usual ‘unable to verify concern/normal condition’ warranty concern? I’m certain there is a very large issue with my motor, and has been a documented problem for a certain group of these vehicles. I’ve had it checked twice, and now I am told there will be a one hour charge if I have it inspected again and there is no issue found.

Not sure if I need to get some independent inspections done, or wait a few years for this to get really bad then try to fight after warranty expires.