Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #381
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Overrated maybe the wrong word. Didn’t live up to hype is probably better.
And I’d agree. But to be fair, I can’t see how it could have.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #382
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, there was no way it could have for reasons explained by previous posters. It was funny for what it was.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #383
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the new doc on Covid (can't remember the name) last night. Pretty entertaining and informative. Just crazy what they were doing down in the USA compared to just even here in Canada for example.

Was also fun looking at some of the dates things were happening on the timeline and looking back at my calendar to see what I was doing those days.

I'm surprised the interview Trump gave in early Feb doesn't get more play. Saying the virus is worse than the flu, transmissible by aerosol. Bad bad bad etc. Pretty clear they knew about it really early.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #384
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Subsequent Movie Film works because of the introduction of Tutar. Without her, the movie would be much less.

The movie showed the decency of many people - the black babysitter, the Jewish ladies, and even the two Q-Anon buddies displayed some generosity and kindness.

My favorite moment - the caged girl that gives the finger to Tutar (who is jealous of her cage).

My 19 year old son and his friend were absolutely wired after the movie, saying it was the funniest thing they have ever seen.

Last edited by troutman; 10-28-2020 at 08:54 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #385
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cupcake scene was my favorite moment.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #386
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The cupcake scene was my favorite moment.
The baker had no trouble writing the racist message on the chocolate cake. Why do these people agree to be in the movie?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #387
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having only watched one episode of The Boys, S2E1, I find it kind of repulsive. The gratuitous blood and violence is one thing, but my impression is that it also has a pretty weird undercurrent of repressed masculinity twisted into some overall rejection of society. It feels like a show made to target a cross-section of Jordan Peterson fans, QAnon fans, and Bugaloo Boys .

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Having only watched one episode of The Boys, S2E1, I find it kind of repulsive. The gratuitous blood and violence is one thing, but my impression is that it also has a pretty weird undercurrent of repressed masculinity twisted into some overall rejection of society. It feels like a show made to target a cross-section of Jordan Peterson fans, QAnon fans, and Bugaloo Boys .
Yeah...you have to watch more. Its satire. Its supposed to be over-the-top insane.

The impression you got is because thats what they're beating you over the head with. Its supposed to be so obvious that you discount it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #389
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also why would you start with season 2?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #390
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Started The Boys last night. I'm a bit embarrassed at how many episodes I watched and how late I stayed up. Highly entertaining and many WTFs.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #391
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Also why would you start with season 2?
I kind of just wanted to see what it's like first without committing to the time needed for the plot to build. I figured I would just dip into it at a point where it's well underway and see if it was something I liked. If it was, I could always go back and watch from the start.

I get that it's satire, and I don't know the show well at all, but that episode just gave me the impression that is has kind of a weird, toxic vibe. Am I way off base? What are the themes in the satire in the rest of the series?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #392
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of just wanted to see what it's like first without committing to the time needed for the plot to build. I figured I would just dip into it at a point where it's well underway and see if it was something I liked. If it was, I could always go back and watch from the start.

I get that it's satire, and I don't know the show well at all, but that episode just gave me the impression that is has kind of a weird, toxic vibe. Am I way off base? What are the themes in the satire in the rest of the series?
I don't think starting right in the middle of the series so far is the right way to get acquainted. this is not a slow burn show where it takes like 6 episodes to get going. try again from S1E1.

without spoiling a bunch of stuff, you are getting the wrong vibe/message. if anything, S2 has been criticized by some right wing groups as "going full SJW". the social/cultural/political parallels to real life though are really super in-your-face by design, for better or for worse.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #393
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely an uncomfortable watch at times, if that's what you mean by "toxic".

I would have said watch s1e1 and if you find that one tough to sit through, don't bother with the show.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #394
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

I cannot begin to understand this thinking. How strange! Bizarre! You've spoiled key plot elements in the first season! Which I guess is no big deal if you don't like it, but damn... what a wild way to test out a show.

On that point, as someone called "SJW" often by the backwards looneys on this board, I can firmly tell you it is not a show made for Jordan Peterson fans, and it is in fact a great show.

Watch it, starting from the first episode, like a normal person, and appreciate the absolute insanity to come. It literally feels like you've come away with the exact opposite interpretation of what the vibe of the show is.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #395
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Subsequent Movie Film works because of the introduction of Tutar. Without her, the movie would be much less.

The movie showed the decency of many people - the black babysitter, the Jewish ladies, and even the two Q-Anon buddies displayed some generosity and kindness.

My favorite moment - the caged girl that gives the finger to Tutar (who is jealous of her cage).

My 19 year old son and his friend were absolutely wired after the movie, saying it was the funniest thing they have ever seen.

The actress who played Tutar did a tremendous job. Remember, this is not a typical acting job. A different challenge when you have to assume a character, have people believe you are that character, and not break character, while also doing a lot of unusual things.

Sacha Baron Cohen said he auditioned 500 people for the role

As for how the film should be evaluated, that is up to each of us. You are right, he showed some decency, and that is a good thing for the polarized environment that some people are working hard to expand

Sacha BC in the video below gives some perspective in to his comedy in this keynote address to the audience at an anti defamation conference. While a certain portion of it he acknowledges is juvenile humour with no higher purpose, he also at times uses his characters to disarm people and then they expose things they are comfortable with, and often those things are not what society should aspire to. Hopefully it is helpful to people who seem to want to focus with priority on the juvenile comedy portion of it. The timing of this movie being released within weeks of the election is deliberate, and the timing was likely a much higher priority than perfecting the humour

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 10-28-2020 at 03:11 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 09:33 PM   #396
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Trumper's get triggered is the best part of Borat 2 IMO

Its funny a lot of these people loved the first movie that also poked fun at the far right. That was before the Trump train and now they realize they are the joke and get totally butthurt lol.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #397
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really enjoyed Borat, which surprised me as I haven't been impressed with anything SBC has done since the first Borat. It has moments where they actually recreate the magic of the first movie and borats daughter did an incredible job, without her the movie isn't worth making. The cartoon of trump dancing with Melania is forever etched in my memory.

I noticed that a lot of the people being punked by SBC in this movie really just seem to be humoring him. It's incredibly difficult to put on a crazy beard and make up, stand right in front of someone and actually fool them. People see someone in crazy make up doing a goofy character while being followed around by an expensive production crew and they just go along with whatever he wants. SBC also seemed a bit less predatory in these interactions than he has in the past.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #398
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I really enjoyed Borat, which surprised me as I haven't been impressed with anything SBC has done since the first Borat. It has moments where they actually recreate the magic of the first movie and borats daughter did an incredible job, without her the movie isn't worth making. The cartoon of trump dancing with Melania is forever etched in my memory.

I noticed that a lot of the people being punked by SBC in this movie really just seem to be humoring him. It's incredibly difficult to put on a crazy beard and make up, stand right in front of someone and actually fool them. People see someone in crazy make up doing a goofy character while being followed around by an expensive production crew and they just go along with whatever he wants. SBC also seemed a bit less predatory in these interactions than he has in the past.
Do you mean in this genre or altogether?

If the latter, highly suggest you watch The Spy. It's amazing and great acting performed by him.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #399
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think that Tutar will be the next "Borat" movie. I think that Sacha Baron Cohen is already too recognizable and spent nearly all of the public scenes as other fairly average characters, and Borat was limited to the more scripted scenes with no public involved.

Tutar, on the other hand, could carry her own spin off quite nicely.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #400
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Do you mean in this genre or altogether?

If the latter, highly suggest you watch The Spy. It's amazing and great acting performed by him.

Altogether. I took a deep dive into his career after the first Borat and I couldn't find anything he'd done that was half as good as the first Borat and most of it was bad. I think I turned off The Spy after half an episode partly because I had trouble taking him seriously, not because he was bad, but because it wasn't good enough to break my conception of him as a goofy character actor.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote