Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Credit Card Recommendations

(Couldn't find any recent discussions on this).

Looking for recommendations as both premium and free credit cards. Seems like they all have positives and negative, but experiences appreciated.

This RBC one looks okay for a free one:
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...ck-mastercard/

Like this ScotiaGold Amex card, with the exception that it is Amex:
http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html

Chime in...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We like our RBC Avion Visa, if you funnel most of your spending into it and pay it off every month you can accumulate a lot of reward points you can use for trips or other stuff.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
lifetimefan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est1980 View Post
Or don't get one at all. Credit cards are the worse thing to happen to western society. Use cash and quit buying crap you don't need.

Our politicians spend money they don't have, because the people that elect them do the same.
Good luck renting a car or a hotel reservation from long distance, or buying anything online. Ok, you might be able to set up a bank account, but that needs confirmation and takes 5-7 business days.

I have the Scotia card and it works as well as I need it to.
If you have the self discipline to control your spending, they're fine.
lifetimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lifetimefan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Or don't get one at all. Credit cards are the worse thing to happen to western society. Use cash and quit buying crap you don't need.

Our politicians spend money they don't have, because the people that elect them do the same.
Yes you are right but since it's determined that you need one for rental cars,hotels..etc it makes sense to look for the best one.

Problem is there is no such thing, one credit card will give you something free but take it back in an other way and at roughly 20% interest you have to be an idiot to keep a running balance.

Get a free card with no "perks" and piss them off by keeping a $2.00 balance every month.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got a Capital One card with points and with a 6 or 7 % interest rate for 3 years. I got this idea from a suggestion in the last credit card thread about a month ago, that suggested using moneysense.ca CC selector tool.

edit, sorry this thread was asking which one had the best rewards.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ht=credit+card

Last edited by DuffMan; 03-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DuffMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe for people with no restraint, if you're smart about it you can make money off them.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Separate debit account with a line of credit. CC's are a rip off.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I have a TD Visa. Pay it off every month in full and I get at least one nice holliday a year out of it.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I just got a Capital One card with points and with a 6 or 7 % interest rate for 3 years. I got this idea from a suggestion in the last credit card thread about a month ago, that suggested using moneysense.ca CC selector tool
http://www.moneysense.ca/2012/08/22/...it-cards-2012/

If you're in the CP 1% club, they are offering $250 Westjet dollars if you sign up for a RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard. There is a $99 annual fee, but you also get a companion voucher each year for only $99 plus taxes.

I also did some research and if you do a lot of US shopping, the Amazon Rewards Visa from Chase does NOT charge the standard 2.5% fee on currency conversion. Add to that 1% Amazon points on purchases, and it's a pretty good supplemental card considering no annual fee.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At best you break even, by paying the balance off every month. But even then, you still spent the money to buy stuff.

There is a reason banks make billions of dollars in profit every year.
Actually I don't, I pay my balance every month so they don't get interest off me and got a free flight to Hawaii last year. There is a yearly charge of $250, but I'd like you to find a flight to Hawaii for that. Might not hurt to do some research on how credit cards work when you don't carry a balance. Banks make their money off the transaction fees charged to retailers for these cards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interest rates should never matter when comparing Credit Cards.

If they do, you're using them incorrectly.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At best you break even, by paying the balance off every month. But even then, you still spent the money to buy stuff.

There is a reason banks make billions of dollars in profit every year.
You are anti people buying stuff? I guess you are anti people having jobs too?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Aren't you that racist guy who's already been banned twice since I've been here...?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best card currently, if you can swing the income requirements, is the Capital One Aspire World Card. 2% cash back everywhere, no fees.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It really depends on how much you use it, and how you pay (in full every month or carry a balance).
If you only want it for rental cars and hotels: no-fee cards are best, but if you do carry a balance, low-interest cards with about $20 annual fee will probably be better.
If you don't carry a balance, spend a lot on your card and are just looking for the best rewards, I found the cash back cards to be way better than points cards. I had Aeroplan and Avion but between the $150+ annual fee and the differential between a cheap ticket and using points (I'm not into first/exec class) it wasn't worth it. Cash back cards have lower annual fees (about $70) but you have to spend enough to make it worthwhile.
CIBC has a good analysis on their website https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/index.html I'm sure other banks have it too.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use my RBC Avion for everything. If you do like I do and pay it off every month you get points for flights and you don't have to pay for flight insurance or rentalk car insurance if you pay with the card. I never carry cash ever. But you have to use a card as a way to just make things easy. I have never carried a balance so have never payed intrest on my card. If you ever plan to carry a balance, get a credit line.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

If one carries a balance they should be sitting down and formulating a budget. Low interest cards just mean eventually the balance will grow because that person have yet to solve their spending problem.

Similar to the stupidity of using a single revolving credit facility to consolidate several revolving credit facilities. If someone cannot handle revolving credit, they can't handle it no matter if it's in one product or ten.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, 99% of the people in this thread represent 1% of the general population.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
oilboy2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Best card currently, if you can swing the income requirements, is the Capital One Aspire World Card. 2% cash back everywhere, no fees.
If you like travel then try capital one aspire travel card. I have had it a year and a half and put everything possible on it ( I also pay it off every month and live within my means) and have enough points to travel almost anywhere in the world.

Best part about this card is you can get cash back on your points, use the points on any airline as all they do is reimburse travel recipes so no requirements.

Another unknown bonus is if you buy things like TVs with the card it either doubles manufacturers warranty up to 2 years to the existing warranty.

Yes there is an annual fee but if you spend enough you will easily make that fee back. They also give 10000 points every year on the anniversary.
oilboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scotia Momentum no fee isn't bad, pay your balance in full and not pay any interest. Plus you get some cash back at the end of the year. I got close to 300 in return. Downside is no travel/medical insurance.

Amex gold at Scotia sounds pretty good but who takes Amex?

Also heard capital one has a really good travel card.

If you buy a travel card, don't get anything that offers air miles or aeroplan points. They always have blackouts and now I'm stuck with a bunch of points I can't really use when I need too.
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points