Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #3281
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I just booked a round for tomorrow at Muirfield for 4:50. I was hoping for no later than 4:15 but we should still be able to finish the round.
Got on at 4:48 in Chestermere. Not overly concerned about getting finished but will be nice to get out.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #3282
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I played in a tourney last week at Springbank Links. The course is in atrocious condition, which is a real shame because I love that track usually.

There was one tee box (I want to say #11 or 12) that I'm not sure I could have found a green blade of grass on it. Not even exaggerating.

Really disappointing...thanks Windmill group.
You aren’t kidding about the tee boxes, they were awful.

I played McCall Lake the day after playing Springbank and it was in exponentially better condition.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #3283
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Way too far.
Too bad. I understand the logic that it is to far. However, I do know that I have battled 4-5hr rounds in the city, and in the back of my mind i know I could have driven back to Vulcan, played 18 holes with my buddies in 3hrs and been home earlier then the round I was playing in the city.

I find, personally, small-town golf to be much faster. Usually, its local regulars who play the course all the time and the gimmes are more generous. I just finished a walking 18 in Golden in 3hrs and 10mins. There was an older couple ahead of us and they just chugged along. Wonderful.

Finished bogey, double, bogey for a 7 over 79. What could have been.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #3284
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing McCall at 4:50 today but they only offered 9 holes on-line. Does anyone know if I can pay a twilight fee to keep going? Should be able t get like 16 holes in if the pace is good
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #3285
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Playing McCall at 4:50 today but they only offered 9 holes on-line. Does anyone know if I can pay a twilight fee to keep going? Should be able t get like 16 holes in if the pace is good
I think you can play till they lock the gates. But I think they shut it down earlier than other clubs. Been a while since I have played a city course though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #3286
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Played Carnmoney with a friend yesterday. Interesting course, in decent shape, but a few things kind fo stood out

- pace was kind of slow. Waiting on a lot of t boxes
- Teeing off with a loader working on a t box beside you was kind of annoying
- greens are LIGHTNING fast. Similar to Bearspaw
- Course is set up where you don't need a lot of driver which I liked.
- Lots of water
- Beautiful clubhouse

Being a member at Cottonwood I still prefer it to a lot of courses I play, for a few simple reasons. a) it's easily walkable b) wee bit easier c) they manicure the rough so you hardly lose any balls, which for me is a big deal seeing as I have zero control

Always fun to try something different though.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #3287
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had to pick between Tower Ranch and Gallaghers in Kelowna which would you choose?
Old 08-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #3288
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
If you had to pick between Tower Ranch and Gallaghers in Kelowna which would you choose?
I personally would pick Tower Ranch. Played it a handful of times and it's always great.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #3289
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tower Ranch. Spectacular course and the conditions have always been top notch.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:53 PM   #3290
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I have also played both. But have great memories of both. Ended up booking TR as the times were slightly better.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #3291
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, just kind of curious, how honest are you guys with your scores? I’m pretty much completely honest I’d say, and sometimes it pains me to be that harsh! I played with a guy this week (not a CPer that I’m aware of) and at the end of the round he had beaten me by about 6-7 strokes. I don’t really care...but at the same time there were a lot of holes where he had hit into the trees or whatever, couldn’t make putts and overall just wasn’t that good. His handicap is about 10 strokes better than mine I guess. So, I got to thinking, I wonder how honest people are with their scores in general?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #3292
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So, just kind of curious, how honest are you guys with your scores? I’m pretty much completely honest I’d say, and sometimes it pains me to be that harsh! I played with a guy this week (not a CPer that I’m aware of) and at the end of the round he had beaten me by about 6-7 strokes. I don’t really care...but at the same time there were a lot of holes where he had hit into the trees or whatever, couldn’t make putts and overall just wasn’t that good. His handicap is about 10 strokes better than mine I guess. So, I got to thinking, I wonder how honest people are with their scores in general?
I try to be 100% honest with every score for handicap purposes. The odd time if my ball is in a rut or a divot on the fairway I'll move it out so I can hit off grass and at least have a chance, but that's pretty rare. I guess sometimes I'm given putts, too, when playing with friends - so in theory I could miss a few of those. Let's call it 98% honest.

I played a couple of weeks ago with a friend - first tee at 9:30 am and no warmup - pulled a ball into the out of bounds area left off the tee. He insisted I hit a "breakfast ball" and not count it, so I went ahead and did that & played out the round. When I posted the score at the end, I made sure to add 2 for the out of bounds, despite what we wrote on the scorecard.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #3293
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say I'm fairly honest with notable exceptions.

1. Lost balls I play as laterals. I think this is pretty widely used... I will do stroke and distance if I have gone OB or into the thick brush or whatever. But If I think there is a decent chance I will find it, I don't hit a provisional.

2. Gimmes inside of 2 feet. It really bugs me when people give me a putt outside of that. Then there is this awkward, no I will putt it out followed by a miss 80 % of the time. Then they expect I am also going to give them 3 footers and when I don't they just take them.

3. This one may be controversial since it is completely subjective. I would be taking pins out inside of 20 feet or so if we were not in a pandemic. Nothing sets me off more than putting a birdie/par putt into the centre of the cup followed by a weird pin bounce and a burn of the edge. So if the putt is inside 20 feet (the range I would be taking the pin out), the weight was perfect, as in it wouldn't have gone past the cup more than 18 inches and it is DEAD centre, I'm taking that putt bounce out or not.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #3294
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I have to be honest as I play in club tournaments and need a handicap. Members seem to have a handle on how others are playing and are quick to spot players with inflated handicaps.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #3295
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have to be honest as I play in club tournaments and need a handicap. Members seem to have a handle on how others are playing and are quick to spot players with inflated handicaps.
haha, but this is the other side of golf cheating. I love how it can go both ways.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #3296
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re not honest you can never gauge if you are actually improving.

My thing is if I hit a #### shot I’ll hit another just for practice but will take whatever penalty as needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #3297
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% honest. It only affects your handicap, so who cares how high/low you shoot? As long as you're having fun out there, that's all that matters.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #3298
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
1. Lost balls I play as laterals. I think this is pretty widely used... I will do stroke and distance if I have gone OB or into the thick brush or whatever. But If I think there is a decent chance I will find it, I don't hit a provisional.

This is now officially a 'local rule' issue, and I think most clubs use it as such. OB and Lost Ball play as a lateral with a 2-stroke penalty.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #3299
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
This is now officially a 'local rule' issue, and I think most clubs use it as such. OB and Lost Ball play as a lateral with a 2-stroke penalty.
2 stroke or 1?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #3300
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
2 stroke or 1?
If you’re going to get that serious I believe be you need to clarify it with the starter. But rule of thumb is one stroke in, 2 strokes out.

It’s the rule no one pays attention to.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow