Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #81
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone recommend a hike similar to Galatea/Lillian Lakes hike? Love the tree'd/river aspect of it and want something similar. Its about a 5hr hike with 700m elev gain.
Not far from where Nihani Ridge ridge is, there is a trail (used by hikers/bikers/horses) that starts from the Little Elbow Campground and leads in to a few campgrounds like Romulus and Remus, but the trail is pretty neat and does a loop back to the parking lot. It is quite long if you do the full loop, but you're walking along the river for quite a while and have a good view of the mountains.

Looking at it on Google Maps, it's Little Elbow Trail, and then it connects with Big Elbow Trail on the return portion.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #82
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Anyone recommend a hike similar to Galatea/Lillian Lakes hike? Love the tree'd/river aspect of it and want something similar. Its about a 5hr hike with 700m elev gain.
Buller Pass along Spray Lakes Road is similar in that you follow a creek through the woods for a majority of the distance, but unlike Galatea there is no lake. It is slightly more strenuous than Galatea due to the last bit that goes up to the pass. There is also a nice little waterfall about half way up.

Great view of Mount Assiniboine and Ribbon Lake from the pass. Did this mid July in 2010 and the west side of the pass down to Ribbon Lake was still full of snow.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #83
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great suggestions all

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenAbootman View Post
Buller Pass along Spray Lakes Road is similar in that you follow a creek through the woods for a majority of the distance, but unlike Galatea there is no lake. It is slightly more strenuous than Galatea due to the last bit that goes up to the pass. There is also a nice little waterfall about half way up.
Good suggestion, I was actually thinking of doing Smut Pass (basically exact same spot along the Smith-Dorrian, just on the west side of the valley. But now this could be an option too, since I do love a good creek hike.

http://hikealberta.com/hike/smut-pass
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #84
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

These are the two packs I am debating between right now:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...cfg_color=Coal

vs.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...specifications

Fairly similar.. I don't have any experience with BD packs though.. where as I have experience with Osprey and love them. The allure to the BD pack is I have a hook up and can save around $130.. however I have never minded paying for quality.

Can anyone pick out a glaring issue with the BD pack vs the Osprey? My biggest concern is this hip belt swivel.. I am sure it works awesome, but I find the more complicated gear gets the greater chance it will break. I would hate to have some issues with it out on the trail.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #85
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not far from where Nihani Ridge ridge is, there is a trail (used by hikers/bikers/horses) that starts from the Little Elbow Campground and leads in to a few campgrounds like Romulus and Remus, but the trail is pretty neat and does a loop back to the parking lot. It is quite long if you do the full loop, but you're walking along the river for quite a while and have a good view of the mountains.

Looking at it on Google Maps, it's Little Elbow Trail, and then it connects with Big Elbow Trail on the return portion.

That same trail/area is the basis for many moderate scrambles including Romulus and Remus. I am also interested in trail reports on the other peaks in this area including Glasgow, Cornwall, Banded and Outlaw. Is it realistic to try for these four peaks in one long day. I did Nihahi ridge and Compression Ridge in one day and they are rated moderate/advanced. Thinking it would be a similar undertaking timewise? Start at Glasgow? The snow looks mostly off! Advice!

Last edited by macker; 08-06-2013 at 12:11 AM.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #86
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Great suggestions all

Good suggestion, I was actually thinking of doing Smut Pass (basically exact same spot along the Smith-Dorrian, just on the west side of the valley. But now this could be an option too, since I do love a good creek hike.

http://hikealberta.com/hike/smut-pass

Did "The Fist" last year and looked over and saw that mountain. Name suited it very well. Looked like a Big Smut!
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #87
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

on Friday, Highway 40 west of Longview was opened from the park boundary to the winter gates. I walked up the Sentinel trail but it was interesting seeing all the damage on the highway at Sentinel and Eyrie Gap.

The Sentinel parking lot is basically gone. You have to park on the grass on the side of the road.

Hopefully they open the rest of the way to Upper Kananaskis Lake before the summer ends.

Cowperson
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #88
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiked Lake Minnewanka to the pass 5.8km away.

Moderate would be the most I would call this hike. Great little hike and not difficult at all. The 4 minimum hikers for bear warning seemed kind of mute but I have always thought warnings like that are a bit over the top.

Saw some Army guys running to the top of Temple and back in 4 hours. Tempted to do that hike in early September. I am not a trail runner so would probably take a me a bit more time.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #89
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations for backpacks for hiking? I am coming from, basically, the cheapo Calgary Stampede backpacks that I have used for mostly every outing I've had. The old MEC child carrier I had felt really good, and I liked the belt/waist support on it so hoping for something that has that and an area for a hydration pack.

My experience with the Deuter packs was, well, unfortunate and returned them. Maybe they're resting on their past laurels. So, I would like to find something in the sub-$120 range and some of the MEC brand ones look decent and the reviews are okay. Just wondering what some others on here use for day hikes.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #90
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

My daypack is the North Face Solaris 35.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...olaris-35.html

It's actually a little excessive for most day hikes but it is great. It's about the price you're looking for, will last damn near forever - I've used mine for everything from day hikes, bike rides and air travel for about five years or so and it is still in almost perfect condition. Actually I just need to figure out how to clean it! I'd definitely recommend it though.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #91
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if posted but has anyone done sulphur mountain in Banff? Could kids do it?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #92
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Not sure if posted but has anyone done sulphur mountain in Banff? Could kids do it?
Mine did it when he was 5. Nothing hazardous about it. Just bring water and snacks to ply them along with and keep them entertained with talking and stories.

There is nothing worse than when a kid's mind shifts from "I am having fun with my family" to "I am bored; this is hard; when are we done".

Sulphur Mtn, Lake Louise Teahouse, Moose Mtn are good kid friendly hikes. Just make it fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #93
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't really asking for kids. I want to make sure i can do it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #94
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't really asking for kids. I want to make sure i can do it.
Haha. Yes, probably. There are all varieties of sizes and ages going up. At least that's how I try to convince myself when I am apprehensive.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #95
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you hike Sulphur Mountain, hike the Cosmic Ray Trail, and not the switchback up the gondola side. It's a bit longer hike that starts at Cave and Basin, but with two cars (last time I did it I just ran from the bottom of the gondola back to the car and then drove back up to pick up the rest of my party) you can take the gondola down and then the hike is just a 2 1/2 hour hike.

The Cosmic Ray trail is a beautiful hike on the backside of the mountain, great views almost the whole way up, starting along the Bow River, while the Sulphur Mountain hike is a switchback trail through forest with a gondola overhead with barely any views until you reach the top. Also it's steeper than the Cosmic Ray hike.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #96
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am planning on doing Temple this Saturday with a friend. Is it busy enough that we could blend in or join another group going up, so we don't need to worry about the min. group size?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #97
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am planning on doing Temple this Saturday with a friend. Is it busy enough that we could blend in or join another group going up, so we don't need to worry about the min. group size?
I find it's always busy up to Sentinal pass, and by then you are getting up into the scree and scrambling part of the hike, so worries about bears turn into worries about falling rocks. I'd say making sure you have a climbing helmet is more important than having a group of 4 people when scrambling Temple. You should be able to blend in well with groups out of Moraine Lake
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #98
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
My daypack is the North Face Solaris 35.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...olaris-35.html

It's actually a little excessive for most day hikes but it is great. It's about the price you're looking for, will last damn near forever - I've used mine for everything from day hikes, bike rides and air travel for about five years or so and it is still in almost perfect condition. Actually I just need to figure out how to clean it! I'd definitely recommend it though.
Thanks. Looks like that one was phased out, now a 40L in its place.
Good deal from North by Northwest in Ontario though for $99, so I may grab it.

Just hate black though. Good for visibility in winter, I guess, and keeping sandwiches and water warm
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #99
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like that one was phased out, now a 40L in its place.
Good deal from North by Northwest in Ontario though for $99, so I may grab it.

Just hate black though. Good for visibility in winter, I guess, and keeping sandwiches and water warm
Well, for day trips I really did find the 35L a little much but put up with it as it was just such a great all-'round pack but 40L would almost certainly be over-the-top. Maybe wait and see what others have to say.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #100
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Any recommendations for backpacks for hiking? I am coming from, basically, the cheapo Calgary Stampede backpacks that I have used for mostly every outing I've had. The old MEC child carrier I had felt really good, and I liked the belt/waist support on it so hoping for something that has that and an area for a hydration pack.

My experience with the Deuter packs was, well, unfortunate and returned them. Maybe they're resting on their past laurels. So, I would like to find something in the sub-$120 range and some of the MEC brand ones look decent and the reviews are okay. Just wondering what some others on here use for day hikes.
I have the previous version of this bag:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-833/m...89+50131+50804

I've used it on a near daily basis for over three years now, and it does everything well (hiking, scrambling, biking, skiing, cragging). No complaints and it's still in excellent shape.

The only downside is that it also only comes in black, which I agree sucks.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness