Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #21
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
People accuse me at times of not being critical of the Flames. The reality is that I think I just have tempered expectations. For instance with Backlund people got caught up in some of Sutter's comments (which is his own fault I suppose) and started placing unrealistic expectations for where he should be right now.

Same thing happened with Leland Irving and then when he didn't perform at the same level in his 2nd year people paniced, and now others are wondering why Steve Mason in the NHL and Irving isn't. Meanwhile Irving is improving at a typical pace, and that's fine with me.
Yeah I really wish Sutter didn't hype up Backlund (and Irving) so much. Backlund is a top prospect, no question. It was nice when expectations of Backlund were tempered. Now, it seems like he's got way too much hype that rumours like this, or not ripping up camp, and some people sort of get into a tizzy.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 AM   #22
SoCalFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Something is not right.....why is he not performing very well for Vestaras? Berglund was top dog at this time last year on this very team. A year on and Backlund now the same age and type of potential as Berglund should also be an important player on that team at this level.
In addition to the other very valid points about the speed of development, I think expectation has got in the way.

There is however one HUGE difference between Berglund and Backlund that hasn't been noted. It's about 4 inches and 25 pounds. Playing against men as a younger man (or at any time really) this would make a very big difference. Being as big or bigger than those around you not only inspires more confidence but it also causes others to back off. On the larger ice surface this makes less of a difference but it still matters.

The really important thing going forward is how he reacts to both the threat of being cut, or alternatively to actually being cut. It would be great to see him in the WHL or AHL though.
SoCalFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoCalFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
None of the players in our top 9 forwards were drafted by Sutter. In fact, Dion is the only impact player Sutter has drafted thus far..
Well, Boyd is 8th in ice time per game. So, yea he has. In terms of "only" draft one impact player, well yeah, that's true. Teams drafting where we have drafted rarely pick up more then one impact player however. Shouldn't be too surprising.

2003 Draft - Phaneuf
2004 Draft - Boyd, Prust, Pardy

Again, early returns look good. I (and many others) typically say you can only begin to judge a draft after 5 years, and that continues to hold true.

Half of our current blueline was drafted/developed by Sutter. That's pretty huge all things considered.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #24
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Backlund love-in was ridiculous around these parts during training camp. Hopefully this will help to temper expectations, something I've been saying for a while now. It'll be better for the fans and much better for the Flames and Backlund.
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
The Backlund love-in was ridiculous around these parts during training camp. Hopefully this will help to temper expectations, something I've been saying for a while now. It'll be better for the fans and much better for the Flames and Backlund.
Sure, that's always easier I suppose. Backlund opened alot of eyes during the World Juniors last year, and then blew people away at the rookie camp prior to the real training camp. So atleast people got excited from actually watching him.

Personally, I really like Backlund. I love his vision, his hockey smarts, and his skating. Physically he's got some maturing to do, but once that happens, look out.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #26
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Same thing happened with Leland Irving and then when he didn't perform at the same level in his 2nd year people paniced, and now others are wondering why Steve Mason in the NHL and Irving isn't. Meanwhile Irving is improving at a typical pace, and that's fine with me.
Fair enough, but if Backlund is getting cut from his team I wouldn't consider that "typical pace". Granted, none of us have seen him, so I'll wait till more information to come out, but this does worry me a little. I agree that it isn't fair to expect him to follow the same development path as Berglund, but getting cut would have been like Irving being demoted to back-up in his last season in the WHL. Again, I haven't seen him, and I'm not saying he's a bust or anything, but this isn't something I wanted to hear.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #27
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is another link.......

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...89956-sun.html

I found this interesting.......

"Still, don't be surprised if Backlund decides he doesn't want to return to Sweden after the world juniors and opts to play junior in Canada, where the Kelowna Rockets hold his rights. "
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #28
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

what would it take to get him in QC? (i am totally ignorant of the circumstances regarding Backlund, and am just selfish and want a good player here for QC!)
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
what would it take to get him in QC? (i am totally ignorant of the circumstances regarding Backlund, and am just selfish and want a good player here for QC!)
I believe he is too young to play in QC.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #30
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I believe he is too young to play in QC.
he's not. the 20 year age limit is just for CHL juniors
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #31
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
He could play there, but I think that will be the last place he ends up this season. If he played in QC this year it would mean a year would come off his entry level contract. If he isn't in Sweden he will be in the WHL IMO.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

well darn it! the organization needs to plan around what makes me happiest!

though if he does decide to play in the WHL this year, would he most likely be in QC next year? (assuming he doesn't get really awesome and make calgary)
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #33
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Someone made the point that if Backlund is released then the Flames can plunk him down wherever.

The only reason why 19 year old can't play in the AHL is because of an agreement with the CHL (and European leagues) to not poach teams' players.

If Backlund is released then the Flames may have the right to put him in the AHL because he is not the property of any team. Kootenay holds his rights but he hasn't played a game with them.
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
He could play there, but I think that will be the last place he ends up this season. If he played in QC this year it would mean a year would come off his entry level contract. If he isn't in Sweden he will be in the WHL IMO.
the entry level contract rule is no more than 10 games, correct?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #35
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
he's not. the 20 year age limit is just for CHL juniors
Remember his rights are owned by CHL Club (i.e. Kelowna).
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #36
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Remember his rights are owned by CHL Club (i.e. Kelowna).
i dont think it matters since he's never played for them. Filatov's rights are owned by Sudbury, but he's playing in Syracuse as an 18 year old
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #37
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Well, Boyd is 8th in ice time per game. So, yea he has. In terms of "only" draft one impact player, well yeah, that's true. Teams drafting where we have drafted rarely pick up more then one impact player however. Shouldn't be too surprising.

2003 Draft - Phaneuf
2004 Draft - Boyd, Prust, Pardy

Again, early returns look good. I (and many others) typically say you can only begin to judge a draft after 5 years, and that continues to hold true.

Half of our current blueline was drafted/developed by Sutter. That's pretty huge all things considered.
its frequently said the Flames should draft better like the Wings, and its certainly true the Wings do it very well, but if we are going to give Sutter and apples to apples comparison since 2003 I believe Sutter picks have played about 418 games to the Wing 335. Each team has one guy making up most of that (Phaneuf, Franzen) and then a smattering of other players.

its true that the Wings have had the deeper team/harder to crack, but at the same time the Flames have had some coaches that do run veteran lineups also

I do still think there are somethings to be quite critical about with Sutter re: drafting. the 2003 draft felt yucky from the get-go outside of Phaneuf (and to an extent Ramholt at least had some promise and wasn't a stereotype Sutter pick) but there was alot of muck taken in that draft given that they went into that day with 3 in the top 40 or so...and indeed to this day I feel there are too many players (going back to Kevin Harvey, and up to Riley Grantham) that have just shown no track record at all of productivity. I dont mind signing guys like this as UFAs, but not sure the team needs to use draft choices on 18 or even 19 year olds with less than 10 goals
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #38
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
(going back to Kevin Harvey, and up to Riley Grantham)
Just to speak about Grantham - and by no means am I a fan of the pick - one of the few areas where I disagree with Sutter harshly is drafting goons - but everytime I have seen Grantham - he surprises me. For a tough guy - he's got a bit of game. Pretty good puck handler and capable making plays. Good hands in tight. Skating needs work.

But he surprised me both at the dev camp and then up in Camrose.

Still not a fan of the pick there but there may be something more there than just a pugilist.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Something is not right.....why is he not performing very well for Vestaras? Berglund was top dog at this time last year on this very team. A year on and Backlund now the same age and type of potential as Berglund should also be an important player on that team at this level.

I am cheering for Backlund, but being objective, you have to wonder what the hell is going on with this kid.
And Berglund is on the cusp of being a real superstar on the Blues. Backlund looked very raw and out of place in Flames training camp. Don't know what he's missing really.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-18-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #40
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

keep in mind that when Berglund was at St. Louis tryout camp 2 years ago many said he was far away from being ready. He was weak and not looking good. A lot has change dover 1 year.

Same with backlund, let the kid grow and mature. He has the skill he just needs to mature (strength, etc) as a person.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlund