Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #3321
Jay Random
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sure they could. They signed Brodie for about the same money.
Brodie: $5,000,000.

Giordano: $6,750,000.

Say, if it's all Ďabout the sameí to you, could you spot me $1,750,000 till payday?
__________________
WARNING: The preceding message may not have been processed in a sarcasm-free facility.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #3322
mrdonkey
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Brodie: $5,000,000.

Giordano: $6,750,000.

Say, if it's all Ďabout the sameí to you, could you spot me $1,750,000 till payday?
Yeah man, thatís almost Erik Gudbranson money!
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #3323
Jay Random
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Yeah man, thatís almost Erik Gudbranson money!
We already know you hate the Flames and every single thing they do. This is not about your pet obsession, it's about the Leafs and the salary cap.
__________________
WARNING: The preceding message may not have been processed in a sarcasm-free facility.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #3324
The Cobra
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sure they could. They signed Brodie for about the same money.

It might have been that they simply didnít want Gioís continuing cap hit, regardless of whether they could actually afford him. They may well have wanted the longer term Brodie more than Gio.

But comparing the UFA to be Foligno to Gio makes no sense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #3325
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It might have been that they simply didnít want Gioís continuing cap hit, regardless of whether they could actually afford him. They may well have wanted the longer term Brodie more than Gio.

But comparing the UFA to be Foligno to Gio makes no sense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was talking about a post season trade, not deadline.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #3326
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

If someone wanted Gio at full salary he would have been gone IMO

Look around the league, you have some really good players that are basically unmovable because of their contracts
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #3327
FusionX
Scoring Winger
 
FusionX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Oh man, my CP wouldn't load the last few min or so and I thought something had happened to kill the server! Disappointed but at least we can laugh at E=NG.
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #3328
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If someone wanted Gio at full salary he would have been gone IMO

Look around the league, you have some really good players that are basically unmovable because of their contracts
I think at the time Gio could have been traded at full salary, heíd had a decent year as usual. They just didnít want to, with two years to go on his contract.

You seriously think Toronto wouldnít have wanted him? Heís just what they were missing - more so than Brodie, in fact.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #3329
The Cobra
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I was talking about a post season trade, not deadline.

Ok then.

If any team wanted him before expansion, he would have been traded. Calgary knew they werenít protecting him. The fact he wasnít shows no team would give up anything for him.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #3330
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Ok then.

If any team wanted him before expansion, he would have been traded. Calgary knew they werenít protecting him. The fact he wasnít shows no team would give up anything for him.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Iím talking about a full year before this off season. When Tanev was signed, when Markstrom was signed, when Brodie was signed by Toronto. I donít think there was any attempt to move Gio then. Iím just saying that at that time, I bet Toronto would have traded for him.

I canít recall if Seattle had even been approved at that point.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #3331
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000
 
Toonage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Do you mean franchise approval? Seattle was approved when Vegas was approved.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #3332
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Do you mean franchise approval? Seattle was approved when Vegas was approved.
Yeah, thatís what I meant. But your answer isnít right - I just looked it up. Seattle was approved Dec. 4, 2018. They got approval for the arena from the City a couple months earlier.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #3333
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000
 
Toonage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Wow, I stand corrected. I thought they both got league approval at the same time.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #3334
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Wow, I stand corrected. I thought they both got league approval at the same time.
Yeah, but it doesnít matter - it was before the decision around Brodie/Gio would have happened in the summer of 2020. Even the expansion draft rules would likely have been known at that time, and if not, youíd assume theyíd be the same as Vegas.

As I agreed before, the expansion draft problem would still have existed. But IMO Treliving would have been forced to make a deal to protect all of his top 4, unless he decided to expose Andersson.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021