Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sportsnet: Four Flames D among the best at executing breakouts

Brodie, Giordano, Hanifin, and Andersson all made the chart. Possibly noteworthy is that the SC champ Blues D (Parayko, Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester) are also well represented.

Full article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...best-breaking/

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s embarrassing that people actually think Brodie is bad because of a few noticeable giveaways over the course of an entire season

It’s because he always has the puck on his stick and is making plays. He is an elite puck mover

People want to trade a top pair defenseman for a second round pick right in the middle of our contention window...
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is why Brodie is still where he is. When his transitions don't work out it usually ends up terribly though.

Last night I noticed that Karlsson had even more giveaways and horrible chances against than I'm used to Brodie having...and against our AHL team? When he looked good, it was great, but I couldn't shake the feeling that if Karlsson was on the Flames, he would be highly disliked by some fans.

It obviously works out more often than it doesn't since Brodie was +29 last year and also on the ice for close to 100% of the horrible messes that he made.

I hope he has a great year and the prices of defensemen skyrocket.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been thinking, since all the Brodie trade rumours have been swirling around, we’d probably really miss him if he were traded. I think he has a lot more value than a lot of fans think... I know I’ve been guilty of it.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie is the case of a player being on the same fan base for too long....the whole you don't know what you have until it's gone thing.

95% of the time Brodie is making the right play. But the fan base remembers the 5% where it's a glaring giveaway or when he just has an off night.

Plus the things he does well (Transition skating / passing) doesn't always show up on the stat sheet.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if I'm reading this correctly, Karlsson is #1 in getting the puck out of his own zone? Brodie is #4? Must be flawed data because I've seen it mentioned here quite a bit that Karlsson is not very good in his own zone and Brodie needs to be traded because he constantly gives away the puck.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Get Brodie on the next plane out of here! Clearly he isn't worth having. or, Maybe, this is a product of Tre and his wizardry to boost the value of his players for upcoming trades!???
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post

It obviously works out more often than it doesn't since Brodie was +29 last year and also on the ice for close to 100% of the horrible messes that he made.

I hope he has a great year and the prices of defensemen skyrocket.
No #### Brodie was on the ice for 100% of his horrible messes. It'd look way worse if he ####ed up and then ####ed off on a change.

Gio is the best D in the league when he has Brodie on the other side. With everyone else, he's a #1D.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Noah Hanifin doesn't get anywhere near enough credit. Dude is younger than Rasmus Andersson.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So if I'm reading this correctly, Karlsson is #1 in getting the puck out of his own zone? Brodie is #4? Must be flawed data because I've seen it mentioned here quite a bit that Karlsson is not very good in his own zone and Brodie needs to be traded because he constantly gives away the puck.
In fairness, it is important to distinguish between situations with the puck and without the puck. Defensively, without the puck, Karlsson is terrible. With the puck, he is elite.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
In fairness, it is important to distinguish between situations with the puck and without the puck. Defensively, without the puck, Karlsson is terrible. With the puck, he is elite.
Karlsson is inconsistent without the puck, but when he's on his game (the second half of some of his better seasonss, the 2017 playoffs) he's pretty damn good without the puck. He'll never be a net clearing D, which is why his partnership with Methot was so successful, but he's not terrible without the puck either.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 09-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It’s embarrassing that people actually think Brodie is bad because of a few noticeable giveaways over the course of an entire season

It’s because he always has the puck on his stick and is making plays. He is an elite puck mover

People want to trade a top pair defenseman for a second round pick right in the middle of our contention window...
He looks good alongside one of the best players in the game....we all know how he functioned alongside Hamonic or anyone else for that matter. It still doesn't excuse the horrendous blunders at any point, but it also doesn't make him boat anchor.

Nobody wants simply a 2nd round pick for him, but if he's part of deal where the return is a guy like Zucker or Kadri in the middle of the Flames window to win, sign me up.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-27-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This chart would lead one to believe he is worth a lot more than Kadri in a deal (where we also include Jankowski).

The thing with Brodie is the expiring contract. What does it take to keep him, and is that the right fit for the team’s salary structure?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
No #### Brodie was on the ice for 100% of his horrible messes. It'd look way worse if he ####ed up and then ####ed off on a change.

Gio is the best D in the league when he has Brodie on the other side. With everyone else, he's a #1D.
Lol did you miss the part where I said "obviously"? Obviously is just a polite way of saying "no ####."

Some fans act like Brodie didn't earn any of that +29.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #15
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

You are right, Brodie is not bad. But, I also think you are wrong in calling him a top pairing defenseman, I would say he's a very good middle pair defenseman, because he has shown he is unable to play to that level without Gio beside him.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
FudsMcDuff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I only looked quickly, but think I must've missed the Oilers and their 6 Giordanos making the list.
FudsMcDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FudsMcDuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
You are right, Brodie is not bad. But, I also think you are wrong in calling him a top pairing defenseman, I would say he's a very good middle pair defenseman, because he has shown he is unable to play to that level without Gio beside him.
He has successfully done it before. It's been a few years, but in 2015 when Giordano's season ended with a bicep injury TJ Brodie was arguably the Flames best player in his absence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Maybe because there's a huge gap between Mark Giordano and the likes of essentially #5D like Wideman, Stone, Hamonic, and Engelland? A far greater gap than that existing between our RD options (Brodie, Hamilton, Andersson).

And I'm not sure why Hamonic's poor play for most of 2017-18 gets swept under the rug, either. Or the fact that even the 3M line did nothing but rack up the minuses that year, as if luck wasn't a factor in the perception of ALL the individuals on the team.

Or the fact that Brodie was actually playing his absolute best hockey towards the end of the year, before Reeves came and gave him a concussion.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He has successfully done it before. It's been a few years, but in 2015 when Giordano's season ended with a bicep injury TJ Brodie was arguably the Flames best player in his absence.
He struggled for 2 years without being stapled to Giordano, we can't hang out hats on the anomaly when Giordano was hurt.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #20
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Maybe because there's a huge gap between Mark Giordano and the likes of essentially #5D like Wideman, Stone, Hamonic, and Engelland? A far greater gap than that existing between our RD options (Brodie, Hamilton, Andersson).

And I'm not sure why Hamonic's poor play for most of 2017-18 gets swept under the rug, either. Or the fact that even the 3M line did nothing but rack up the minuses that year, as if luck wasn't a factor in the perception of ALL the individuals on the team.

Or the fact that Brodie was actually playing his absolute best hockey towards the end of the year, before Reeves came and gave him a concussion.
Hamonic's poor play? And calling him a #5? He struggled for a couple of months when the season started when he first joined us, but was very good after that.

Why do all Brodie supporters feel the need to put down Hamonic just to prop up Brodie?

The fact of the matter is if Brodie was as good as some claim, he'd be able to play like a top pairing defenseman with someone other than Giordano for more than a small stretch of time. But he's pushing 30 and has not shown that. Being a #3 isn't a bad thing.