Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #41
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were 8 forwards coming off their ELC and got big RFA contracts and 6 are in the top 50 players list.

Tkachuk 9M qualifying offer and Meier 10M qualifying offer missed the list.

The Flames set high expectations last year. With basically the same core the Flames were 32-13-5 after 50 games last year. That was 69 pts ... what the Blues rather than the 57 pts they have this year.

While the Flames are really close to winning the Pacific they are within a 2 game losing streak out of 9th spot overall in the West.

This team was not supposed to be a bubble team.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cripes Rico the list has no meaning when evaluating multi year deals
Even for you all of that is a stretch
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's the elite minus stats.
I don't care at all about plus minus, though he isn't a good defensive player. It's more that there are many better players than him in the league. If you wanted to win a game tomorrow, and you're picking guys for your team, there have to be a dozen at least who come before him.

Not to just focus on that, mind you. Anyone who watches the Panthers regularly can tell you that as great as Huberdeau has been this season, ranking him ahead of Barkov on a "best players" list is idiotic. Then you've got the Makar thing - exciting player, good chance he wins a Calder, but top 30 in the league? Better than Stone and Aho? Ok guys. Whatever.

Another dumb list designed to generate clicks and controversy and I guess it's working. Best not to think about it again.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #44
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Makar 29th
Hughes No.

Lolwut
more to the point they put in Boeser but not Markstrum?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #45
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
more to the point they put in Boeser but not Markstrum?

Markstrom's numbers are only godly when you actually watch him play and realize they're not better because our team is still learning how to "stop the other team from repeatedly getting shots from the slot and other high danger areas". As long as his numbers are average he'll never get nods for things like this, especially from articles originating from back East, they'll never stay up to watch him play. Markstrom won't be in the Vezina conversation but he should be. Markstrom won't make the TSN top-50, but he should. I was shocked he got the all-star nod after Fleury stepped back.

The Hughes/Makar thing is mind-numbing because every underlying number points to Hughes being a better player right now. Heck, they currently point to him being the best d-man in his draft (won't last... unless Buffalo never stops being a tire fire), but because Makar is putting up better points totals while playing with much better players he's getting love like this. It sort of goes to my "they don't actually watch the games" thing, I suppose.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 01-24-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often wonder if media outlets purposely throw in a few curveballs to generate controversy which leads to chatter and traffic. It seems like every "best player" list in any sport these days has a handful of head scratchers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #47
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I often wonder if media outlets purposely throw in a few curveballs to generate controversy which leads to chatter and traffic. It seems like every "best player" list in any sport these days has a handful of head scratchers.
I heard Bob McKenzie talking about this list yesterday on TSN's Overdrive. He was saying how much he hated these types of lists and contributing to them. He mentioned that with this one in particular there was very little consensus outside the top ten and basically there was a pool of 60 players that are interchangeable from 10 to 50.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #48
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I don't think it's intentional. They know the Eastern bias will do the job for them.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #49
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Markstrom's numbers are only godly when you actually watch him play and realize they're not better because our team is still learning how to "stop the other team from repeatedly getting shots from the slot and other high danger areas". As long as his numbers are average he'll never get nods for things like this, especially from articles originating from back East, they'll never stay up to watch him play. Markstrom won't be in the Vezina conversation but he should be. Markstrom won't make the TSN top-50, but he should. I was shocked he got the all-star nod after Fleury stepped back.

The Hughes/Makar thing is mind-numbing because every underlying number points to Hughes being a better player right now. Heck, they currently point to him being the best d-man in his draft (won't last... unless Buffalo never stops being a tire fire), but because Makar is putting up better points totals while playing with much better players he's getting love like this. It sort of goes to my "they don't actually watch the games" thing, I suppose.
I like Hughes a lot.

IMO, he is still a distant third behind Makar and Heiskanen.

In saying that , believe all 3 are exceptional young D...somebody has to be third best. That’s Hughes.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #50
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heiskanen wasn't in Hughes's draft though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote