Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #3161
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I hand counted the seats left over in the 200 to 203 sections.

It goes
200 - 0
201 - 30
202 - 37
203 - 29

That means that fewer than 96 seats won't be season ticket holders before general sales commence. Keep in mind there are still 2 or 3 days left for renewals.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-06-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #3162
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #3163
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... through some awesome advice, I was able to buy the LAST SEASON TICKET in 200. What a stroke of luck! WOOOOOOO
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #3164
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me in the camp that is hyped for the mystery game.

We are all agree it will be a friendly right?

If I were being realistic I would assume that it would be one of the big USL teams. New Mexico United would be cool, but if Ottawa doesn't join I would have to guess it would be against them.

That said, If I had a dream team it would be the Portland Timbers. Something about that team, and their fan base just brings out the best in opposing fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #3165
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't it be CONCACAF Champions League?
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #3166
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Wouldn't it be CONCACAF Champions League?
I dont think so. The winner of the microwave plate and the voyageurs cup go to the champions league.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #3167
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any official word on who qualifies for these competitions for next year?

I believe that the Canadian Championship winner (Toronto FC) is Canada's only entrant into the Concacaf Champions League, unless that has been changed for 2020 as Canadian now has a proper domestic league and champion. And then there is one berth into the Concacaf League (which includes a back door into the Champions League). Does that go to Forge as "champions" of the CanPL? It would be nice if CanPL got two berths into the Concacaf League.

Edit: My assumption above is correct. CanChamp winner goes to Concacaf Champions League, and CanPL winner goes to Concacaf League. That's it. (Wikipedia link)

So that effectively shuts out Cavalry from any regional cups for 2020. I'd like to see some random Nicaraguan team come up here one day, just for fun.

I assume that Canadian Championship seeding will be based on the 2019 CanPL combined season table, or maybe progress in the 2019 Canadian Championship, wither of which will rule out a trip for Cavalry to a random place like Blainville or Vaughan on a weeknight, which I am fine with.

This is going to be a looooong off season if this is what's top of mind for me this morning.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 11-06-2019 at 12:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #3168
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried to get some tickets myself and I get to see what's open but as soon as I add to cart I get an internal error. Looks like they fixed the glitch that allowed new season ticket holders early access to seats.
Never mind, just switched computers and got it to work! Officially a season ticket holder! Section 201, row 5, seats 7 & 8! So pumped!

Last edited by fleuryisgod; 11-06-2019 at 12:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #3169
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Is there any official word on who qualifies for these competitions for next year?

I believe that the Canadian Championship winner (Toronto FC) is Canada's only entrant into the Concacaf Champions League, unless that has been changed for 2020 as Canadian now has a proper domestic league and champion. And then there is one berth into the Concacaf League (which includes a back door into the Champions League). Does that go to Forge as "champions" of the CanPL? It would be nice if CanPL got two berths into the Concacaf League.

Edit: My assumption above is correct. CanChamp winner goes to Concacaf Champions League, and CanPL winner goes to Concacaf League. That's it. (Wikipedia link)

So that effectively shuts out Cavalry from any regional cups for 2020. I'd like to see some random Nicaraguan team come up here one day, just for fun.

I assume that Canadian Championship seeding will be based on the 2019 CanPL combined season table, or maybe progress in the 2019 Canadian Championship, wither of which will rule out a trip for Cavalry to a random place like Blainville or Vaughan on a weeknight, which I am fine with.

This is going to be a looooong off season if this is what's top of mind for me this morning.
Montreal won the Canadian Championship so they get the Canadian spot in CONCACAF Champions League (even if Toronto wins the MLS Championship). Forge gets the CONCACAF League spot for winning the CPL. So expect more whining about how hard their schedule is with extra games (even if they crash out of the Canadian Championship at the first opportunity again).

I don't think the format for the Canadian Championship has been confirmed but if it's the same as this year I'd expect Cavalry/Forge/York to get the three byes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #3170
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Montreal won the Canadian Championship so they get the Canadian spot in CONCACAF Champions League (even if Toronto wins the MLS Championship). Forge gets the CONCACAF League spot for winning the CPL. So expect more whining about how hard their schedule is with extra games (even if they crash out of the Canadian Championship at the first opportunity again).

I don't think the format for the Canadian Championship has been confirmed but if it's the same as this year I'd expect Cavalry/Forge/York to get the three byes.
Right - it was Montreal. Whoops. I even remember thinking when they won: "at least we lost to the eventual champion".
Old 11-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #3171
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post

If TFC wins the MLS championship they don't represent the USA? so the Sounders already have that privilege?
Old 11-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #3172
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If TFC wins the MLS championship they don't represent the USA? so the Sounders already have that privilege?
Berths in the Concacaf competitions are based on the country and not the league. The USA gets 4 berths in the Concacaf Champions League and Canada gets one: link to MLS article.

So yeah - Seattle gets in because Toronto can't qualify anymore even if they win the MLS Cup.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #3173
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada gets 1 spot in the CONCACAF Champions League and it is through the Canadian Championship. They also get 1 spot in the CONCACAF League and it is through the CPL Championship.

Toronto FC are currently making a stink about possibly winning MLS Cup and missing out on CONCACAF Champions League altogether. But that's the rules so too bad for them. It's a downside of playing in the league of another national federation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #3174
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Canada gets 1 spot in the CONCACAF Champions League and it is through the Canadian Championship. They also get 1 spot in the CONCACAF League and it is through the CPL Championship.

Toronto FC are currently making a stink about possibly winning MLS Cup and missing out on CONCACAF Champions League altogether. But that's the rules so too bad for them. It's a downside of playing in the league of another national federation.
Is there a wiki page for the algorithm, to identifying the number of qualifiers per nation, in a similar sense to how it works in Europe?

It'd be nice if we could understand what it'd take for Canada to earn that second spot. I imagine it's muddied with our top teams playing in another nations Domestic league.. similar to the Welsh/EPL & Champions League, or lack there of.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #3175
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know if next season will follow the same silly format of this season? Would be nice if we took ourselves a little more seriously and had a proper league championship.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #3176
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do we know if next season will follow the same silly format of this season? Would be nice if we took ourselves a little more seriously and had a proper league championship.
Money talks, and the revenue/ viewership of the final should be enough to convince all owners that this is the way to go.

That said, an even spring fall season would be nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #3177
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Money talks, and the revenue/ viewership of the final should be enough to convince all owners that this is the way to go.

That said, an even spring fall season would be nice.
I think the commissioner has been on record recently saying they don't want a North American style playoff format such as MLS and USL use. I'm okay with the spring/fall seasons but also would like to see them balanced. I don't think finishing the spring season on Canada Day provides enough of a perceived benefit to justify such an imbalance between the number of games.

I do think it's an issue when you have a scenario like this season where one team wins both the spring and fall seasons and then has nothing official to show for that. To me, Cavalry winning both the spring and fall seasons is an achievement that deserved some kind of recognition. I can't believe the league doesn't at least have a trophy for each season.

Anyway, If we have different winners of the spring and fall seasons, then for sure, the two leg championship final is a good way to decide a CPL champion. But this year, it was less than ideal that Cavlary and Forge both pretty much knew they'd be in the final with like over a month to go.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #3178
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
nm

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 11-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #3179
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
So... through some awesome advice, I was able to buy the LAST SEASON TICKET in 200. What a stroke of luck! WOOOOOOO
Congrats! And welcome!!! It really is a great group in the section, you’ll make lots of new friends
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #3180
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Congrats! And welcome!!! It really is a great group in the section, you’ll make lots of new friends
Thanks man! I've been to almost every game and stood in that section every time, even though my tickets were usually outside of 200

My goal will continue to be to wave a Foot Soldiers flag every single game. I love that responsibility!
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge