Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #2941
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
You cannot from that angle determine it’s out. It’s like curling rocks...unless you’re looking from the top, or directly down the line, you cannot determine if it’s out. That camera angle is the most favourable one you could find to conclude that ball is “out”. Also, see corner kick placements. Those often look over the line from the camera angle (behind the ball), but they are not.

So no, that ball is not “definitely out”. It could have been out, but that angle can not conclude that.
Well, agree to disagree then. I've played competitive soccer over the last 30 years and I've seen this scenario happen many, many times. The image is quite telling as is; you also have to remember that the centre of the ball that is actually touching the ground is halfway into diameter of that ball - at best, the absolute side of the ball is hovering above the line, which means the bottom touching the ground is out. In my opinion, it is most definitely out, and I'm just speaking from the picture / my own experience having been down this road in games before. I've just seen plays whistled down for crossed lines that are even closer than this.

That said, there are no excuses here. I think what we can agree on is that it's best to now focus on Saturday and make sure our gameplan is in place to bounce back with an offense that can score with that margin of two. Tommy has to have his team ready to go on Saturday. Luckily, we have that home field advantage.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #2942
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Well, agree to disagree then. I've played competitive soccer over the last 30 years and I've seen this scenario happen many, many times. The image is quite telling as is; you also have to remember that the centre of the ball that is actually touching the ground is halfway into diameter of that ball - at best, the absolute side of the ball is hovering above the line, which means the bottom touching the ground is out. In my opinion, it is most definitely out, and I'm just speaking from the picture / my own experience having been down this road in games before. I've just seen plays whistled down for crossed lines that are even closer than this.
I’ve also played competitive soccer for the last 30 years and continue to do so. You said it yourself - “the absolute side of the ball is hovering above the line”. That would mean it’s in. The entire ball has to be over the line. You should know that if you’ve been playing competitively for 30 years.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #2943
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Here was a different angle of the sideline touch that led to the Borges goal. If it is on the line, it is just barely. If you watch the highlights, the ref actually begins to give Cavalry a throw in but didn't in the end. I think Carducci has to make a better effort on that shot, but whether it was in or not is highly debatable.

Of course, if Cavalry supporters express outrage we are labelled as whiners, so we'll just have to beat Forge by 2 on Saturday. That goal may have been debatable but the 3 crossbars went in Cavalry's favour. Both the fan base and club can't make any excuses. Fans need to buy tickets and the club needs to score goals. Period.

Yea I’m gonna say it was in bounds.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #2944
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I’ve also played competitive soccer for the last 30 years and continue to do so. You said it yourself - “the absolute side of the ball is hovering above the line”. That would mean it’s in. The entire ball has to be over the line. You should know that if you’ve been playing competitively for 30 years.
Yeah, I said at best, which probably why the ref called it as is. Doesn't mean I think that's what happened... thought that was obvious, but I guess not to you.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #2945
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That seems weird that would be inbounds considering you can see the whole ball on the ground over the line. So does the entire ball circumference have to be over the line or just the actual physical part of the ball?

If it's the entire circumference then that's inbounds, but if it's just physical ball then it's clearly in as there's green between ball and out of bounds.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #2946
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That seems weird that would be inbounds considering you can see the whole ball on the ground over the line. So does the entire ball circumference have to be over the line or just the actual physical part of the ball?

If it's the entire circumference then that's inbounds, but if it's just physical ball then it's clearly in as there's green between ball and out of bounds.
Entire ball. It's very close. No possible way to know for sure unless there is an angle right down the line.

It's so close that its really not worth complaining about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #2947
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Entire ball. It's very close. No possible way to know for sure unless there is an angle right down the line.

It's so close that its really not worth complaining about.
Exactly. There’s no way to determine it from that angle.

The ENTIRE ball needs to be over, meaning if you look straight down at the ball, and you can’t see any grass in between the ball and the line, then it’s in.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #2948
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are to complain about anything on that play, we should be complaining about the Cavalry players who threw their hands up in the air and stopped playing. Play to the whistle. Happened against York 9 too on their tying goal.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #2949
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we are to complain about anything on that play, we should be complaining about the Cavalry players who threw their hands up in the air and stopped playing. Play to the whistle. Happened against York 9 too on their tying goal.

Even Carducci didn’t even reach full stretch and seemed surprised that it ended up not going wide. The whole play was half-assed by Cavalry.

I feel that with all of those crossbars, cards, and other shenanigans, a 0-1 loss was actually a very fortunate result. Gives a chance in leg 2. Even if the Borges red gets reversed, being able to play 10 on 10 for the remainder of leg 1 was a blessing because it helped ensure that the damage didn’t get any worse. The score flattered Cavalry to be honest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 PM   #2950
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Reminder, cancel your subscription and don't pay into November!
Canada vs. USA November 15th!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #2951
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Canada vs. USA November 15th!!!
Oh man, I forgot. I guess they keep me around then!

Sucks just because I can't stand their panel. I like Petrillo, but there are a couple guys they could lose and it wouldn't make my viewing experience any worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #2952
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It only really feels like a true, professional soccer broadcast when Nigel Reed commentates. I hope he somehow gets the call for Saturday!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #2953
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

1-0 or 2-0 feels like the objective. 3-1 feels unlikely to me. There will be a lot of nervous energy at spruce meadows next Saturday.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2954
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've decided I can't get over the silliness of the format of the league. If we win Saturday, well that's great and all, but we should already be champions.

If we lose, it will just feel ridiculous. I'll still watch next season, but come the #### on CPL.

Also that trophy is a goddam joke. The league doubling down on being a joke with that stupid thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #2955
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I've decided I can't get over the silliness of the format of the league. If we win Saturday, well that's great and all, but we should already be champions.

If we lose, it will just feel ridiculous. I'll still watch next season, but come the #### on CPL.

Also that trophy is a goddam joke. The league doubling down on being a joke with that stupid thing.
Seems like such a no brainer to award a League Champion trophy (with badge for winner’s kit) and then a CanPL Cup Champion with the top 4 (with badge for winner’s kit).

Twice the hardware, more to market and more to keep fan bases engaged.

Good chance this format is not the same format next year.

Also I agree on the weak trophy. If all you want to award is one trophy for a 28 game season and playoff, make it an impressive one.

Last edited by Thunderball; 10-28-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #2956
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I think that this sums up my feelings here. Like I am a proud ticket holder and will be next year, but we should rightly be the Champions already and this "finals" song and dance is just garbage. I felt that way heading in and once we saw the red card it only served to reinforce it.

Even though, we are the rightful winners though, I hope we batter them like 5-0 just to throw it in their face. And then print shirts about the "treble" and how amazing we are.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #2957
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone interested, we're holding a meet up Friday night for those travelling in for the game at the Rose and Crown.

One Soccer (Larson, Wheeler, Platt and Petrillo) will be there doing a Footy Talks panel around 7 or so. The commissioner and others from the league will be there. And there will be prizes, although I'm not sure what exactly will be given away.

Would be a good time to boo Wheeler and Larson and tell Petrillo how awesome she is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2958
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ So Wheeler will be calling the final I'd imagine. I won't hear it thankfully because I'll be in the stands, but it still pisses me off.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #2959
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forecasted high for Saturday is 10 degrees. Looks like weather will not be the story of the second leg.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #2960
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Well we agree on Waterman’s importance.

I think Zator has been more consistent than Trafford. Early in the season (to be fair Trafford was coming back from injury) his touch was really rough and he had many misplayed passes putting his teammates in tough positions. I think Zator has had a more consistent touch and impact on the game than Trafford has this season. Zator has been forced to FB with the injuries and filled in admirably, but I think his pace is missed in the middle. As the season has gone on Trafford’s touch has come around and his experience is really starting to shine. I wasn’t high on him early, but now he’s an integral part
Surprised at this. Trafford has been our best CB. He's made game saving tackles, that I've seen only Waterman touch close on.

Quote:
Zator is one of the best CB's in the league. There is a reason why he is getting interest with the national team. Waterman is a decent CB for this level but is prone to costly mistakes and is not in the same conversation of Zator, IMO.

The only reason why Zator is playing RB at this stage in the season is because we've had two RB's tear their ACL's, and he is the most competent defender that can fill in at that spot. The other option is Malyk Hamilton, but he struggles defensively, although provides more options offensively.

If we have at a fully healthy Cavalry squad Waterman likely isn't in the starting lineup. If Tommy plays a 3-5-2, the 3 CB's are Trafford, Zator and one of Waterman or Wheeldon. If Tommy plays a 4-2-3-1, the CB's will be Zator and Trafford, with Mavila at LB and Serban at RB.

I've thought Waterman has been at his best when he's come in at CM, particularly in the first away game in Edmonton, where his substitution completely changed the dynamic of the game offensively.
At the time of National Team consideration, Zator scored that crucial corner header, and his performance in that game was magnified. Over the course of the season, I've seen him spray too many long balls to throw-ins, and made poor backballs to gk.

Waterman and Trafford have the better distribution to Zator, exactly why Waterman was in D-CM. Other than that Edmonton match, Zator hasn't started over Trafford or Waterman, when all things are equal. (injuries/fitness).
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge