Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #161
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with above. I think its fair to say dumb coaching cost us a point last night.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #162
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Monahan played 1 minute of OT.

11seconds of the two full minute pp.

Lucic had 28 seconds of OT pp time

Why.
Teams don't practice a lot of 4 on 3 powerplay.

The Flames setup (most teams actually) has a player as the central bump back option, which is Monahan.

With a 4 on 3 powerplay you don't have that guy, so you tend to surround the slot with a triangle with a net front presence.

Tkachuk was the net front guy on powerplay one, Lucic was the net front guy on unit two.

Monahan is neither the move the puck guy on the perimeter nor the net front guy.

Certainly worth debating but his thought process at least makes sense under those assertions/assumptions.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Again, it's OT. Call a fricking timeout if Monahan is tired. But he has to be out there for that PP.

Worst player management I have seen in a long time.
You can't call a timeout without a stoppage. And I'm not saying Monahan was tired. I'm wondering if someone didn't change up properly. Say, Lindholm, who would have been Monahan's change partner.

It could have been a really bad choice. But it could have been player fault or injury or equipment. Again, I'm surprised no one asked Ward.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #164
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
My thought wasn't based on one game. I'm looking at Bennett the player this season and past. He takes penalties a lot and the Oilers are deadly on a PP.

Limits t their opportunities this way without missing any real offence. His grit is replaced by Buddy.
But he has jam, and the Oilers have a myriad of players that are completely unable to handle said jam from the opposition!

Digging in though, Bennett is -8 in taking penalties vs drawing penalties this year, which isn't great. It's ball park to Backlund -9, Giordano -7, Frolik -8 and even Brodie -6 ... with clearly less ice time.

Bennett is the worst in differential / 60 for sure. Frolik very close.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #165
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan isn't a net front guy?

He might have the best hand-eye in the team?

He's tied for second in the team in goals and 3rd in points and had two goals in the game already.

That's gotta be one hell of a net front advantage to keep him on the bench in favour of a guy with 4 goals on the season.

The thought process doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #166
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Monahan isn't a net front guy?

He might have the best hand-eye in the team?

He's tied for second in the team in goals and 3rd in points and had two goals in the game already.

That's gotta be one hell of a net front advantage to keep him on the bench in favour of a guy with 4 goals on the season.

The thought process doesn't make any sense to me at all.
He hasn't been deployed that way no.

You can make the argument that he should though.

I think you're confusing the guy that can get open and shoot from the high to moderate slot with the guy that battles for position in front of the goaltender and tips pucks.

As I said you don't have to agree with the process, but that's what he was thinking in my mind.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #167
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But he has jam, and the Oilers have a myriad of players that are completely unable to handle said jam from the opposition!

Digging in though, Bennett is -8 in taking penalties vs drawing penalties this year, which isn't great. It's ball park to Backlund -9, Giordano -7, Frolik -8 and even Brodie -6 ... with clearly less ice time.

Bennett is the worst in differential / 60 for sure. Frolik very close.
So who do you sit if you want Buddy and Rinaldo?

This is how we arrived at this, trying to have both Buddy and Rinaldo in tonight.

I'd rather have that jam than Bennett. And let me be clear, this is for tonights game, not long term. Buddy looked great, owned the boards and created havok in front of the net versus a very heavy team. He should be even more noticeable vs the Oilers D.

Sam is a fine player, but if I have to sit someone from last night, it's him.
Other options would be Janko who is good on pk, Dube who is fast or Mangi who is a great spark plug.

Forgot to add. All others that take too many penalties make up for them. Bennett does not. He is by far the worst player in terms of contribution that you listed although Frolik was close.

Last edited by Red; 01-29-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #168
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
So who do you sit if you want Buddy and Rinaldo?

This is how we arrived at this, trying to have both Buddy and Rinaldo in tonight.

I'd rather have that jam than Bennett. And let me be clear, this is for tonights game, not long term. Buddy looked great, owned the boards and created havok in front of the net versus a very heavy team. He should be even more noticeable vs the Oilers D.

Sam is a fine player, but if I have to sit someone from last night, it's him.
Other options would be Janko who is good on pk, Dube who is fast or Mangi who is a great spark plug.

Forgot to add. All others that take too many penalties make up for them. Bennett does not. He is by far the worst player in terms of contribution that you listed although Frolik was close.

I'd rather have Bennett in the game than any of Rinaldo, Robinson, Dube or Jankowski.

His pasting of Nurse last year pretty much turned the game early.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #169
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather have Bennett in the game than any of Rinaldo, Robinson, Dube or Jankowski.

His pasting of Nurse last year pretty much turned the game early.
Well, the whole conversation started when someone wanted both Buddy and Rinaldo in tonight so we are off topic at this point.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #170
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talbot looked like Hiller down on his knees all night. Every time there's a shot and/or a rebound, you got a gut feeling the puck was gonna go in.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #171
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the whole conversation started when someone wanted both Buddy and Rinaldo in tonight so we are off topic at this point.
Not sure I'd call it off topic.

You said you'd sit Bennett. I said I wouldn't sit Bennett.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #172
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why on Earth would you sit Bennett for a BOA?

Hell, you could scratch him for every other game of the season before you'd scratch him for those games.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #173
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Read the thread guys. Some here were talking about inserting Rinaldo to last night's lineup. And specifically for this one game. While keeping Buddy in and all that. If that's the case, who comes out?

I suggested Bennett because he is likely to cost us with his penalties.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #174
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure I'd call it off topic.

You said you'd sit Bennett. I said I wouldn't sit Bennett.
You said you'd sit Buddy and Rinaldo. The whole topic came up because someone wanted both in the lineup. So yes, your suggestion is off topic. At the very least it's irrelevant.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #175
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
You said you'd sit Buddy and Rinaldo. The whole topic came up because someone wanted both in the lineup. So yes, your suggestion is off topic. At the very least it's irrelevant.
This feels like a misunderstanding.

Or am I to understand that replying to a person that says he would sit Bennett with why I wouldn't sit Bennett is being off topic, and now irrelevant?
Old 01-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #176
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, you took it out of context when you said you'd rather sit Rinaldo and Buddy before Bennett where it was a conversation about who to remove so we can add Rinaldo to compliment Buddy.

Anyways, I will settle for a misunderstanding.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #177
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You can't call a timeout without a stoppage. And I'm not saying Monahan was tired. I'm wondering if someone didn't change up properly. Say, Lindholm, who would have been Monahan's change partner.

It could have been a really bad choice. But it could have been player fault or injury or equipment. Again, I'm surprised no one asked Ward.
I understand what you're saying. What I am saying is that Ward should have called a timeout at the get go, so that he could go with Gaudreau and Monahan for a minute and a half, and he wouldn't have had to worry about change ups.

Monahan being out for that PP for 11 seconds is a fire-able offence, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: