Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: TJ Brodie and Travis Hamonic. Who should stay, and why?
TJ Brodie should stay 165 68.18%
Travis Hamonic should stay 15 6.20%
Both should be re-signed at reasonable rates (if possible) 30 12.40%
Neither, promote youth 21 8.68%
Neither, acquire replacement(s) 11 4.55%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #41
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

By my eye he seems to have lost that 'first step' that would consistently beat forecheckers and incoming speedsters. So by extension it took a minor hit to his top speed and acceleration, but I would still consider his edgework and balance elite, which helps his underrated gap control.

If you look at his fancy stats from last year's 1st round embarassment against Colorado he moved the needle north for the majority of the roster, the notable exceptions being the bottom line and Noah Hanifin.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would a realistic contract be for Brodie?

The Flames have 13 contracts for next year and 17 M in cap space for the remaining 10 roster spots.

The cheapest contact for a top-4 UFA d-man last season was Gardiner's 4 x 4 .
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get rid of both. Culture change.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #44
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Brodie. Signed to match the duration of Gios contract and re negotiated on a yearly basis until Gio is done.
So, you expect Brodie to sign a two year extension, and go yearly thereafter?

Probably not in the cards.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #45
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What would a realistic contract be for Brodie?

The Flames have 13 contracts for next year and 17 M in cap space for the remaining 10 roster spots.

The cheapest contact for a top-4 UFA d-man last season was Gardiner's 4 x 4 .
I think the cheapest contract you could dream about getting Brodie signed for is 5x$5M.

But so much is dependent upon the quality of other d-man available at that time, the market can shift.

But I would expect that's the minimum likely, assuming he wants to stay here.

Edit: I don't think this is what he will sign for, I was just imagining a pretty much perfect storm contract of the least amount we could see.

Last edited by The Cobra; 01-28-2020 at 11:10 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think the cheapest contract you could dream about getting Brodie signed for is 5x$5M.

But so much is dependent upon the quality of other d-man available at that time, the market can shift.

But I would expect that's the minimum likely, assuming he wants to stay here.
I don’t think you can get Brodie for $5 million IMO. That’s not much more than Rasmus just signed for and he gave up only 1 or 2 years of UFA. Not entirely comparable I know, but if you believe in an increasing cap etc. I believe Brodie costs you $6 million.

I’d lock him up at anything less than that in a heartbeat.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #47
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Ellis and Matt Dumba are two RHDs that are allegedly on the market. Both would probably be pricey, but I think adding one of them to our top 4 mix would be a really positive move going forward, and obviates the need to sign either of Brodie or Hamonic.
If I have to choose between these two, I take Brodie, but I am nervous about what the next contract looks like.

Top 4 of: Gio-Ellis
Hanifin-Andersson

Seems pretty good to me. More of a new age D core with a lot of speed and puck moving ability but I think that suits this forward core the best.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ellis is on LTIR right now and I'm not sure what his status is. I think I'd prefer Dumba anyway. Ellis is a good skater but is small. Dumba has 4 years on him too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #49
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Just eye test. I have zero backup for the opinion. I see Brodie being beat in races a lot more, whereas I see Kylington catching guys who are not slow at all, even when starting from well behind (because he went deep on a rush). I think Kylington and Hanifin better skaters. I think they are quicker off the mark, faster overall and both have great edgework. And I'm not looking for fault - was a big fan of Brodie's skating. And I would trade a few KMPH on his skating for his better mental game any day.

Interesting. I have seen Hanifin and Kylington both get turned inside out at times this year. They both are good skaters but seeing them being buried at times, maybe I am putting more emphasis on the defensive acumen that combined with skating makes things seem more under control with Brodie
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Interesting. I have seen Hanifin and Kylington both get turned inside out at times this year. They both are good skaters but seeing them being buried at times, maybe I am putting more emphasis on the defensive acumen that combined with skating makes things seem more under control with Brodie
When Brodie was (IMO) better at skating than now he was regularly turned inside out. That's more upstairs than feet. It's anticipation as opposed to the physical act, IMO. Kylington and Hanifin make those mistakes because of experience, not because they aren't good at skating. I mean, look at Andersson or Gio - they get beat less because they play it smarter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #51
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

with the trade deadline rapidly approaching Brodie plays 23:20 and Hamonic plays 21:10 against the Blues.

Who is going to take up the minutes for either of these guys?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #52
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone has noticed all season, but Hannifin is so weak defensively. I'd trade him over Hamonic or Brodie any day.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #53
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Not sure if anyone has noticed all season, but Hannifin is so weak defensively. I'd trade him over Hamonic or Brodie any day.
Hanifin also just turned 23 this week. He’s still improving. You need patience with young defensemen. Trading him this early in his career would be stupidity.

Answer me this. At what age did Giordano and Brodie peak? Look at Hanifin’s age again.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #54
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
with the trade deadline rapidly approaching Brodie plays 23:20 and Hamonic plays 21:10 against the Blues.

Who is going to take up the minutes for either of these guys?
Nobody. And that’s why Treliving is unlikely to deal either of them before the deadline. Next year Valimaki will be a 20+ min guy and replace one of them. Andersson also likely is promoted to full time top 4 duty next season.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Don’t really see a poll option that fits for me.

I’d re-sign one of Hamonic or Brodie but it entirely depends on their ask in terms of dollars and term. Without knowing their ask, it’s impossible to decide between them.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #56
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

bad poll. Keep them both as playoff rentals. Consider signing either or both of them as UFA's depending on the Flames cap situation.

Right now it looks like they would have trouble for either of them or adequate replacements until Gio's contract is done.

Reality in a cap system. This is the year!!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #57
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Brodie is the better defencemen, and capable of playing top pairing.

Hamonic I don't really see as a bona fide top 4 any longer. I see him kind of like Stone when he was first acquired - capable of playing top 4, but probably not a guy you want there permanently.

Others may disagree with my assessment, and that's ok. If you agree with me, then you definitely want Hamonic to be traded.

I am of the opinion that you can pay top dollar for stars and difference makers. You can even overpay for them if they contribute well. What you can't do in a salary cap world is overpay for bottom 6 players (except centres that drive the play) or bottom pairing defencemen. Flames seem to constantly be in that situation.

I think Hamonic is a good candidate to be included as part of a "hockey trade" at some point - maybe a three-way between teams that are selling and looking for picks, and a team trying to add depth.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 PM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t think you can get Brodie for $5 million IMO. That’s not much more than Rasmus just signed for and he gave up only 1 or 2 years of UFA. Not entirely comparable I know, but if you believe in an increasing cap etc. I believe Brodie costs you $6 million.

I’d lock him up at anything less than that in a heartbeat.
Do you think Brodie takes 7/$5.5M AAV? I'd be comfortable with that.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #59
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think last night was a perfect example of my thoughts on the topic.

I was more comfortable with Brodie on the ice with McDavid than I was with Hamonic with Yamamoto.

I think Brodie was our most important player last night while Hamonic was terrible.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #60
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked both but if we had to choose I would pick brodie
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote