Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #241
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was fine too. I didn't think it was a particularly great game, but it got better as it went on, and at the end of the day it was good enough that I honestly thought "if they just did this 3 on 3 as their normal even strength, they might be on to something". It's not the product itself that I find obnoxious, it's the self-congratulatory way the commentators talk about it, as if they're doing an infomercial about disaster relief. If you didn't get the clear sense that the CBC broadcast was pushing this as a thing that "really just must happen and is clearly the right thing to do", I'm baffled at how you missed it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #242
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I honestly don’t get why you feel some of this. It’s a product that’s out there for you to consume if you would like. You’re feeling “pressure” to like it?

I think devoting 20 minutes of the skills contest to it was fine. The crowd seemed into it. If they get feedback that people were turning off their Tv’s then I’m sure it won’t be around much longer. I thought it was more entertaining than watching players walk through the crowd or the cringy interviews, but mainly because it was Canada vs the US.
He probably feels the same way when he's forced to watch 5 year olds play in the intermission.

How dare they force this on me, and this won't entertain anyone until they add hitting.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #243
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Mascot game prior to the ASG today: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwxWdewqRjKQ

It looks like Harvey might be the hard-hitting, speedy, right-shot winger the Flames need.
oh my goodness - do my kids ever LOVE this! ha! ha! i think they've watched it 5 times already!

my son throughout the game... look dad.... GRITTY!!!! ha! ha!

and his other observation... dad... why is harvy the only one not wearing a 'shirt'? i actually had to watch and he was right! ha! oh the observations of a 4 year old!
Old 01-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #244
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve always liked the accuracy shooting, not sure I’m a fan of the digital targets. But if they can do that, I think a whack-a-mole type element to it would make it pretty fun.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 PM   #245
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FAIL = Digital targets & Shooting Stars
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #246
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I thought it was fine too. I didn't think it was a particularly great game, but it got better as it went on, and at the end of the day it was good enough that I honestly thought "if they just did this 3 on 3 as their normal even strength, they might be on to something". It's not the product itself that I find obnoxious, it's the self-congratulatory way the commentators talk about it, as if they're doing an infomercial about disaster relief. If you didn't get the clear sense that the CBC broadcast was pushing this as a thing that "really just must happen and is clearly the right thing to do", I'm baffled at how you missed it.
My thoughts exactly. If the women's league was 3 on 3 it would draw more people due to higher offensive output/more entertainment and it would also allow for the players to make more money as there would be less players to pay giving them a bigger slice of the pie.

What this would mean for international play would be interesting. Would women's hockey be 3 on 3 in the Olympics and world championship?
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #247
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

WHAT THE FRK!?!?

At the AHL All Star Game, Martin Frk surpassed Chara's 108.8 mph record with a 109.2 shot.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1221625980516630528
Old 01-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #248
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
My thoughts exactly. If the women's league was 3 on 3 it would draw more people due to higher offensive output/more entertainment and it would also allow for the players to make more money as there would be less players to pay giving them a bigger slice of the pie
That and you'd have the best of the best playing, and that's it. That was the thing about this game - it got pretty good towards the end, but you have to realize that these are the cream of the crop. It's not like there are five other teams you could put together like this and get the same level of play out of them. So that's another thing weighing in favour of 3 on 3.

That said, I don't know how many teams they would actually implement, if this were to be launched. You'd think maybe 10-12, all in the northeast to make travel easier and increase the likelihood of good crowds?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #249
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That and you'd have the best of the best playing, and that's it. That was the thing about this game - it got pretty good towards the end, but you have to realize that these are the cream of the crop. It's not like there are five other teams you could put together like this and get the same level of play out of them. So that's another thing weighing in favour of 3 on 3.

That said, I don't know how many teams they would actually implement, if this were to be launched. You'd think maybe 10-12, all in the northeast to make travel easier and increase the likelihood of good crowds?
No Noora Raty, Venla Hovi, Iya Gavrilova, the Hickel sisters, Jess Wong; I can go on.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #250
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
WHAT THE FRK!?!?

At the AHL All Star Game, Martin Frk surpassed Chara's 108.8 mph record with a 109.2 shot.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1221625980516630528
I wonder how legit this is...seems like good marketing

who calibrates these things? I remember some awfully hard shots at the Flames skills comp one year...Backlund shooting over 100 if memory serves