Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Would you put up with your boss hitting you in the head or kicking you?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #102
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
A professional job is still a professional job. Theis isn't opposing players .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #103
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so many condescending posters (dont wanna get banned) on here

Yes pro sports coaches have more leeway to yell at players than supervisor Ron at walmart. You think coaches are never gonna yell at players again? swear? throw a stick in the stands?
Swearing and yelling are one thing . That's what ever but assulting your employees is another.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #104
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It’s amazing you’re doubling down on this, and that you still maintain that physical (or emotional) abuse towards players is different from your boss down town doing it just because these coaches are the ring masters of the circus and entertaining. I would suggest the world changed on you over night.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #105
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

What really gets me about Crawford is that he treated Patrick O’Sullivan the way he did and he knew the kind of abuse O’Sullivan went through at the hands of his father. Yes, O’Sullivan had a chip on his shoulder. So did Aliu. Two really talented kids that probably saw their careers derailed because they were misunderstood.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #106
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd take a kick in the pants every so often for $6M a year...minimum $6M though, anything less and the best you can do is swat me with a rolled up newspaper
Old 12-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
It’s amazing you’re doubling down on this, and that you still maintain that physical (or emotional) abuse towards players is different from your boss down town doing it just because these coaches are the ring masters of the circus and entertaining. I would suggest the world changed on you over night.
Coaches are still gonna yell and swear at players...you don't think so? That is more than happens in the average work place

seriously go watch an NHL practice...I think the problem is some people don't actually live in the real world just the social media bubble

Last edited by dino7c; 12-03-2019 at 06:38 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #108
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Coaches are still gonna yell and swear at players...you don't think so? That is more than happens in the average work place

seriously go watch an NHL practice
That sounds like what Franzen was dealing with from Babcock just some “yelling and screaming”
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #109
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
You think coaches are never gonna yell at players again? swear? throw a stick in the stands?
You really seem to have an issue comprehending the argument you think you are defeating. Not all yelling is abusive, not all swearing is abusive, and throwing sticks into the stands only hurts the sticks. The problem is verbal and physical abuse, and employing such techniques as demonstrations of power rather than motivation.

Are you arguing that taking these behaviours to the level of abuse is necessary to motivate athletes? It certainly seems like you are.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #110
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
That sounds like what Franzen was dealing with from Babcock just some “yelling and screaming”
There is no point in talking to you...there are extremes, a handful of guys will be fired for crossing the line I agree.

A Pro sports coach is not going to have the same standards and an office manager though...You think Bruce Boudreau is never gonna scream the Fword again? Because he is
Old 12-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #111
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You really seem to have an issue comprehending the argument you think you are defeating. Not all yelling is abusive, not all swearing is abusive, and throwing sticks into the stands only hurts the sticks. The problem is verbal and physical abuse, and employing such techniques as demonstrations of power rather than motivation.

Are you arguing that taking these behaviours to the level of abuse is necessary to motivate athletes? It certainly seems like you are.
You seem to have a problem taking me out of context and not including the quotes I am replying to. Guys saying "do such and such to your boss" first of all I am the boss and 2nd its apples and oranges and not the same standard

I'm done with this garbage...you PC principals can go pat each other on the back and be smug...I will continue to live in the real world.

A couple NHL coaches are in hot water for extremes...95% will go back to doing things the way they normally do because this is not like a normal job.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #112
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Except the real world is changing. But really it is okay to yell and swear it should not be ok to demean and humiliate a person which is what people are complaining about. Nobody is in an uproar because someone raised their voice.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #113
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There is no point in talking to you...there are extremes, a handful of guys will be fired for crossing the line I agree.

A Pro sports coach is not going to have the same standards and an office manager though...You think Bruce Boudreau is never gonna scream the Fword again? Because he is
Not to pile on , but I think you are missing a point here. Nothing to do with F words etc. those may or m ay not be abuse. Need context. The "leeway" you mentioned earlier that these coaches have don't make your argument better in any way. It makes it much worse.

Of course an NHL coach will apply different standards than he would with a Walmart greeter. In one case you are telling a guy to bend over for you or you will crush their multi million dollar dream job, in the other case you telling a guy to bend over or you will destroy their dream of being a minimum wage worker. Which one do you think will not fly here?

Do you think Harvey Weinstein would be able to do what he did as a recruiter for MacDonald short order cook? These girls took the abuse so they would have a chance at stardom. Same with these coaches. They abused their incredible power. Scumbags.

Last edited by Red; 12-03-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #114
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
i will continue to live in the real world.
Everyone lives in a real world. You should consider that carefully before assuming your personal experiences contain some kind of definitive explanatory power.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #115
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Your flawed logic might have a leg to stand on if Marc Crawford was actually an NHL hockey player.
Not that it has anything to do with anything, but Crawford was an NHL hockey player.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #116
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think it’s deeply concerning how many people defend physical abuse (not exclusively talking about here), especially in circumstances of an unbalanced power structure. It’s doubly scary when you consider how often these people exhibit signs of abusive personalities.

We should not be defending and empathising with abusers, bullies, etc. We should not excuse “the job” because everyone makes a choice. And if your choice is to call everyone “snowflake” or whatever for believing abuse if wrong and that abusers should be held accountable, where is your line? Hockey coaches are ok? What about people who abuse their family? Their partners? Abuse is rarely isolated. It’s a personality.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 12-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #117
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Physically hitting players is cut and dry. No place for that and anyone guilty of that will no longer coach in the NHL.

The verbal abuse will take more time to sort out. Yelling at guys for not back checking or missing an assignment might hurt feelings but NHL players will handle that. But other mind games and things of that nature, that will take time but coaches who consistently were out of bounds there will be outed.

Players are more connected than ever and have more ways to be heard.

So yeah Babcock who is a potential candidate for future jobs we will hear about it. If a current coach has overstepped the line that will come out too.

But unless a coach has done something this bad we might hear a story or two but it will be opinion than fact. Coaches can be hard but that does not mean they are abusive. But a guy who was consistently abusive to players but says he is sorry now is not getting let off the hook.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #118
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Avery deserved it.

Sopel probably not so much.
That kick was a sloppy seconds that left a mark!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #119
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
That kick was a sloppy seconds that left a mark!
Ughh.. Nice. I feel pretty bad for Franzen. I disliked him when he played because he wasn't on the flames.. he had a nose for the net.

This abuse stuff irks me because you never know what a player is going through, be it concussion, personal, or just trying to fit in. I get that it's a competitive environment but the Franzen story just makes me sad. Talk about kicking someone when they're down.

As for Crawford, he could never pronounce a player's name properly and his colour work was a joke. He's probably still a good coach, but he owes some apologies

Last edited by calumniate; 12-04-2019 at 03:34 AM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #120
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not that it has anything to do with anything, but Crawford was an NHL hockey player.
Yeah he was (my sentencing wasn't the best), as I was referring to his position during the time of the allegations at hand.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote