Franchise Player

Exp:
Default September 19, 2018

Flames' journey to China has been an adventure, to say the least

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...a-8061cf249db6

Quote:
They signed up for an adventure.

It has certainly been that.

The Calgary Flames will cap their trip to the 2018 O.R.G. China Games with Wednesday’s clash against the Boston Bruins at Cadillac Arena in Beijing, the end of a round-the-globe exhibition getaway that featured more itinerary changes than line changes, more talk of curve-balls and change-ups than a baseball mound visit.

Due to a customs kerfuffle.

Due to left-behind luggage.

Due to the scary spectre of being stuck in Shenzhen for Sunday’s arrival of Super Typhoon Mangkhut, or stranded afterward. (To ensure the safety of their stars and staff, the Flames and Bruins split a flight to Beijing after Saturday’s matinee, although there wasn’t room for all of their cargo. Instead, some of the equipment was trucked upwards of 2,000 km to the next destination.)

“You get curveballs and things happen, but a big chunk of this trip was trying to get some team bonding — we have a new coaching staff, a lot of new guys — and I think that part of it has been a real big success,” said Flames defenceman Travis Hamonic, spinning positive.

“I think a lot of guys got to know each other a lot more than when we got on that flight in Calgary. And the rest of it? You just kind of roll with the punches. It hasn’t all gone exactly how we probably would’ve drawn up when we were leaving Calgary, but in the big scheme, we didn’t get our gear because of things that are going on back in southern China.

“There are a lot of people there who are dealing with a lot more real-life things than us not getting our hockey equipment.”

That, indeed, is proper perspective.
Quote:
The Flames will also return home with nothing but good things to say about the hospitality of the people of China.

Except maybe for a cranky customs agent in Shenzhen, the guy who forced the cancellation of their first practice of the season because he’d yet to green-light their equipment bags. (The Bruins had the same issue.)

And except for Mother Nature. Downgraded to a regular — or not-so-super — typhoon, Mangkhut brought intense winds and heavy rains shortly after the Flames and Bruins bolted and forced an airport closure the following day.

“The interesting thing has just to be immersed in the culture and to be a part of it,” said Flames head-coaching hire Bill Peters, who initially planned four practice sessions for the China-trippers but settled for three, including Monday’s rare dinner-time session when the rest of their gear finally arrived in Beijing.

“You know what? Everything has been outstanding. What do you do about a super typhoon coming in? I don’t know if that was ever on the schedule, and you have to react to that. That makes it tough on everybody, but it’s been a real good trip and been a lot of fun.”
Quote:
With just two weeks until the puck drops on their regular-season slate, Calgary’s jet-lagged stars will have back-to-back off-days to recuperate before returning to the rink.

They can’t afford a slow start, even if training-camp has been an adventure so far.

“Obviously things haven’t gone perfect. There’s been a few delays,” acknowledged Flames captain Mark Giordano in Beijing. “But you know what? We’ve still been getting the work in. We’ve had to switch some times around, but you have to look at it as we’re just putting the work in.

“You can’t let those negative thoughts creep into your mind. You just take everything as it comes, and we’ll be fine.”
The highlight of Lanny McDonald's trip to China? The company — his grandson

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...a-9566c2edeaec

Quote:
After eight adventure-filled and eye-opening days on the other side of the globe, the consensus among the Calgary Flames was everybody was ready to head home.

Everybody, that is, except for 12-year-old Hayden Townsley.

The youngest member of the Flames’ travelling entourage at the 2018 O.R.G. China Games, Lanny McDonald’s grandson would have been willing to cut class to spend a bit more time in bustling Beijing.

“I had to miss a few days of school, but my teacher was talking about how I was going to get a great education here anyway,” Hayden grinned prior to Wednesday’s return flight. “It’s just been all-around fun. Hanging out with my grandpa, going to the Great Wall, going shopping and getting all that stuff and bargaining (the price) down …

“I woke up and was like, ‘Oh, we’re going home today.’ That’s a bummer, but I’ve had a great time.”
Quote:
Hayden, one of his seven grandkids, is along as his plus-one.

“He has had the time of his life,” McDonald beamed. “We went shopping the last two days, and I let him negotiate on his own. And I’ll tell you, he’s tougher than me. In fact, the sellers were saying, ‘Who’s the boss here?’ I said, ‘He is.’

“He bought a whole bunch of T-shirts, sweatshirts, shoes, and he said, ‘I’m going to set up shop for my brother, and I’m going to sell him stuff.’ I said, ‘Hey Hayden, I bought you that stuff!’ ”

In addition to showing off some of those back-to-school-shopping bargains, Hayden can tell his Grade 7 classmates about his role in the ceremonial opening face-off in Shenzhen.
Quote:
Lanny’s list of engagements on this junket has included everything from school visits to fan-fest events to a dinner at the Canadian Embassy.

Because he’s been to China twice before, he can confirm that hockey is trending in the right direction in this country of 1.4 billion.

“We did clinics in Beijing five years ago, in 2013, and to understand the growth from within … ” McDonald said. “Their goal is to get 1% of the population playing the game. Well, by the sheer numbers alone, even if they get a quarter of a percent or half a percent, that number is staggering.

“And especially leading up to 2022, their Olympics, obviously they want to put on a good show. Maybe in the past they were all about individual sports, but now that seems to be changing and they’re looking more at team sports. For hockey, that could not be a better thing.”
Calgarian goaltender Glass aiming for roster spot with Flames

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...3-c77ae8ad2053

Quote:
The last time Jeff Glass played in Vancouver it would have been with the Kootenay Ice, back during the 2004-05 Western Hockey League season.

Never at Rogers Arena, however, although he’s sat on the bench twice as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks last year.

But there’s a good chance that tonight — when the Calgary Flames deploy a lineup of professional tryout offer players and fresh faced rookies against the Vancouver Canucks in the team’s second exhibition game on North American soil — that the 32-year-old could be between the pipes.

It’s the next chapter in Glass’s story which is, in every sense of the word, truly an underdog tale worth reading about and rooting for.

Meanwhile, for the Flames, it’s another opportunity to evaluate their crop of assembled goaltenders at 2018-19 training camp — all of which are auditioning for various roles in the organization, including Mike Smith’s back-up position at the NHL level.

Consider Glass a darkhorse for that role and after making his NHL debut at the age of 32 last season with the Blackhawks, never say never.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s tomorrow or whenever, you always want to prove yourself,” Glass was saying on Tuesday after a scrimmage at the Scotiabank Saddledome. “There’s extra emphasis now that it’s a PTO and nothing is guaranteed. I think every time I step on the ice, I’m trying to get better. I still believe I have a lot left. I’m just getting started, I really do believe that. After going overseas, it was a pretty cool experience but it teed me up and set me up for this portion of my career.

“I took my first step last year with Chicago, now I want to take the next step.”
Quote:
The pace right now is completely different than when things kick off for real in early October.

But to Glass, the equation is simple.

“I can try to dress this up as many ways as you want, but it’s about stopping the puck,” said the six-foot-three, 206-pounder. “It’s about being on the ice an proving I can help this team win. If it’s in a scrimmage or an exhibition game or, more importantly, a regular season game, I think I can help this team win. That’s why I’m here … I remember what I was like when I was younger, and that’s why I feel like I’m ready for it now.

“I’ve matured a lot, a lot on the ice. You learn how to communicate with your defencemen, your teammates on the ice. You refine your game, it’s more efficient … then, your values change. Your why changes, to go out and understand why you’re doing this.”
WORK IN PROGRESS - Flames fall to Bruins in final tilt of two-game O.R.G. China series

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/work...ss/c-300242966

Quote:
The work, said Bill Peters, continues.

"A little bit of a slow start by us,'' analyzed the Flames coach. "I thought we got better once we spent a little time in the offensive zone, a little hungrier and harder on pucks.

"We practiced hard and long yesterday. I thought it was more important than getting ready for the game, in essence.

"We got some work done, we look at two games and we know we have lots of work left to do.

"We've got to dig in when we get home."
Quote:
"Going into the third period, with the team we have now, at 1-1 we should be able to come out with two points,'' said centre Sean Monahan. "Right now we need to work on some things. Special teams is one of them.

"Obviously there's a lot of new faces. But we've got to get back to Calgary and work on those things we didn't execute here in China."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1042458631122432000

The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1042489188854243335
Old 09-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny brings his grand kid. What a great experience for him, but man the other grand kids must be jealous.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"Going into the third period, with the team we have now, at 1-1 we should be able to come out with two points,'' said centre Sean Monahan. "Right now we need to work on some things. Special teams is one of them.
Monahan forever looking for the two points that don't exist or count.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vedder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Monahan forever looking for the two points that don't exist or count.
I don't mind if someone is driven enough to care about results in the preseason.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote