Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #261
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
imo gaming and netflix are two sides of the same coin...

both are there just to allow you to lose yourself in something that isn't your day to day...
Unless, of course, it becomes your day to day
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #262
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For craps sake, who the hell cares??? I can’t believe there are pages of arguments that E Sports are a legitimate sport. Summer is near go get outside.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #263
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't know that this is what they are disputing. I think they are disagreeing on whether esports are sports, not whether people like to watch them. Jai alai isn't popular but no one disputes it's a sport. Televised tournament or high stakes poker is pretty darned popular (not as much as couple years ago) but not many people would call it a sport. Then there's a whole range of stuff in between, from darts to golf to autosports to sailing to Irish dancing, etc.
i think saying it won't amount to anything more than TV poker when many events already get higher viewership than traditional sports is denying the popularity of it
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #264
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I'm in my early thirties and haven't played a video game since I was 25 probably, maybe younger even. While most friends moved on years ago, a couple friends still play video games on a regular basis and I've never been able to figure out what the attraction was. If they make money off it, now it all makes sense, but otherwise it completely blows my mind they are still gaming in their thirties.

But why is it ok to watch movies or do crossword puzzles at whatever age in your life yet video games should cease at a certain age? There's a stigma or an assumption from a lot of people that gaming is for kids, but that's ignorant. It's like when my dad use to criticize me for watching the simpsons when i was a teen because he thought since it was a cartoon that it was meant for kids, yet the jokes and story lines were clearly geared towards adults.

To me, these are all mediums that ultimately fall in the category of entertainment and why judge anyone for choosing their own form of leisurely activity. As games evolve and become even more advanced (i.e. Virtual Reality) and it becomes more easily accessible (i.e. smart phones), not only will there be more and more people gaming, but people will likely be gaming further and further into their adult lives.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #265
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can really tell in this thread who the 35+ former jocks are. Just the same guys who picked on the nerds in middle school that are mad video games are going to overtake regular sports in popularity (if they haven't already).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #266
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
imo gaming and netflix are two sides of the same coin...

both are there just to allow you to lose yourself in something that isn't your day to day...
I watch Netflix at my gym while running on the treadmill. I don't know what that means.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #267
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

It means in a few years millions will be watching you watching Netflix for sport.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #268
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
But why is it ok to watch movies or do crossword puzzles at whatever age in your life yet video games should cease at a certain age? There's a stigma or an assumption from a lot of people that gaming is for kids, but that's ignorant. It's like when my dad use to criticize me for watching the simpsons when i was a teen because he thought since it was a cartoon that it was meant for kids, yet the jokes and story lines were clearly geared towards adults.
There is no stigma, as you get older, time gets more precious and you have better things to do.

I took up skeet shooting, photography, had kids and played sports with them among other things. Some of my friends bought real cars and raced them(legally), learned to play a real guitar instead of the game. Some people had kids and coached real hockey teams instead of sport similations.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-01-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #269
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

“There is no stigma, I’ll just clearly the explain that I have a stigma against it and here are the things I don’t.”
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #270
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^lol
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #271
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
There is no stigma, as you get older, time gets more precious and you have better things to do.

I took up skeet shooting, photography, had kids and played sports with them among other things. Some of my friends bought real cars and raced them(legally). Some people had kids and coached real hockey teams instead of sport similations.
Yeah and you just made my point for me. Your post basically assumes that there is a stigma because somehow skeet shooting or photography is at a higher level than "sport simulations." It's really all the same in the end, they're all leisure activities in your down time. I honestly don't care what people want to do in their free time. I'm not a big gamer, I don't shoot things, but I'm also not going to judge anyone either. If someone wants to game till they're 90, go for it; to each their own.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #272
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yeah and you just made my point for me. Your post basically assumes that there is a stigma because somehow skeet shooting or photography is at a higher level than "sport simulations." It's really all the same in the end, they're all leisure activities in your down time. I honestly don't care what people want to do in their free time. I'm not a big gamer, I don't shoot things, but I'm also not going to judge anyone either. If someone wants to game till they're 90, go for it; to each their own.
One is at least a real activity, not a simulation. That's why it gets higher value. If some guy learned how to race cars in real life he probably had a more interesting life experience than a guy who spent hours playing Forza.

I like video games as much as anyone but there is certainly more value to real life experiences than simulations. It is something that dawns on you the older you get. Its not about not liking video games.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 06-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #273
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
One is at least a real activity, not a simulation. That's why it gets higher value. If some guy learned how to race cars in real life he probably had a more interesting life experience than a guy who spent hours playing Forza.

I like video games as much as anyone but there is certainly more value to real life experiences than simulations. It is something that dawns on you the older you get. Its not about not liking video games.
...or it's just a thing you are into, regardless of age?
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #274
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's not just inherently more value to real life experience though, that's an opinion. If the justification is "Well, you'll just understand it when you're older", it's pretty likely you're just out of touch and don't really understand why people feel about something the way they do.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #275
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is it though? I mean, both are based on what a person values, and you're using your opinion to judge what other people should value. If say a person derives zero value and has no interest in travelling and sight seeing but instead finds better value in gaming, why would the "real life" activity hold more value?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #276
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Leisure implies doing something strictly for its enjoyment. Any "value" is incidental to the activity. One might as well decry playing rec hockey instead of learning to build sailboats or bow-hunt for your own food, if utility is going to be the measure by which you decide which pursuits are worthy and which are not.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #277
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
There's not just inherently more value to real life experience though, that's an opinion. If the justification is "Well, you'll just understand it when you're older", it's pretty likely you're just out of touch and don't really understand why people feel about something the way they do.
Okay, I love gaming, but this is just wrong. Real life experience with my wife and daughter crushes gaming and always will and should. If gaming ever has the same value as spending time with my wife and daughter then I'm a terrible husband and father.

I can tell you right now that no game will ever give anyone, in the world, the same amount of joy I get from seeing my daughter grow.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #278
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

But at the end of the day, there’s really no difference. Sure, one is real and the other one isn’t, but they both fall into the category of entertainment. Both things cost you money, they likely won’t gain you money. One is real, the other one isn’t. One is more convenient, the other one isn’t. One has a higher risk factor, the other one doesn’t.

There’s pros and cons to both. I’m not going to say the video game is the cooler experience because it probably isn’t, but I wouldn’t chastise anyone for enjoying the video game experience more instead either. It’s all based on the person and my main point was that video games have a place in this world regardless of who you are or what your age is.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 06-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #279
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
Okay, I love gaming, but this is just wrong. Real life experience with my wife and daughter crushes gaming and always will and should. If gaming ever has the same value as spending time with my wife and daughter then I'm a terrible husband and father.

I can tell you right now that no game will ever give anyone, in the world, the same amount of joy I get from seeing my daughter grow.
Why not play video games with your family? Best of both worlds!
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #280
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video games a sport? LOL

Love the "its popular so it's a sport" justifications...... eating tide pods was popular, doesn't make it legit.

I love video games, but this is getting silly