Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #2401
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, he's back FINALLY

https://twitter.com/user/status/1037144216609206272

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 09-04-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #2402
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would shop Pillar if I were the Jays. By the time the Jays are ready to compete again, i'm thinking 2-3 seasons, he'll be eligible for FA and he's not a player I would be wanting to commit long term to. With having younger players they can use in the outfield it may be wise to see if another team would be willing to pay you for the control and affordability his elite D offers.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #2403
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays finally break out against the Rays with a 7 run 1st.

Sanchez doing everything he can to give it all back immediately.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #2404
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sanchez has actually been pretty good so far. I am sure posting this will be the kiss of death though seeing as the third time through the order has been his achilles heel.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #2405
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he got a key strike out to end the threat and has bounced back nicely. Good to see.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #2406
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tellez gets his first hit!
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #2407
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First AB for Tellez is an RBI double. Way to go guy. Thats awesome.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #2408
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Props to Hazel Mae. Her interview of Tellez was pure class.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #2409
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I would shop Pillar if I were the Jays. By the time the Jays are ready to compete again, i'm thinking 2-3 seasons, he'll be eligible for FA and he's not a player I would be wanting to commit long term to. With having younger players they can use in the outfield it may be wise to see if another team would be willing to pay you for the control and affordability his elite D offers.

The time to shop Pillar was 2 years back after the Jays' run. At this point the cat is fully out of the bag on what he brings, and the Jays won't get much value for him. Top 5 outfielder in the league in fielding, but not worth having on a championship starting lineup at this point. They'll get a C-level prospect and call it a day.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #2410
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN's recently put up some good articles/soundbites from guys I generally don't like. This time from Keith Law discussing the farm system. I agree fully:
https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/video/phillip...stem%7E1479589
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #2411
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sanchez really needed that performance. 2 walks is a number that really stands out to me. Hopefully he can continue to improve.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #2412
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
At this point the cat is fully out of the bag on what he brings, and the Jays won't get much value for him. Top 5 outfielder in the league in fielding, but not worth having on a championship starting lineup at this point. They'll get a C-level prospect and call it a day.
No they'd get a bit more then that... not a lot more because he doesn't have the bat to justify that... he's an average MLB outfielder (among CF he has the 16th highest fWAR and 45th among all OF) with two years of team control remaining.

I love Kevin Pillar. Guy is drafted 979th overall and gets a 5K bonus everyone figures him for org depth filler but instead he busts his ass up the ladder and makes the major leagues. Great story. Having said that I'd definitely explore trading him this winter.

The shame is that he could have been one of the greats except for one near-fatal flaw... can't lay off enough bad pitches. Seriously with his baserunning, contact, and what pop that he has he could have been a perennial 20/20 high average guy with gold glove D if he just had better plate discipline/strike zone judgement.
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #2413
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1515646

Report : Jays and Gibbons to part ways at end of season
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #2414
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The time to shop Pillar was 2 years back after the Jays' run. At this point the cat is fully out of the bag on what he brings, and the Jays won't get much value for him. Top 5 outfielder in the league in fielding, but not worth having on a championship starting lineup at this point. They'll get a C-level prospect and call it a day.
I've never really understood the philosophy behind the idea of "oh we better trade him before the league finds out the truth", as in fans of the team know better than the scouts and pros who do this for a living? They are far from perfect, but I don't think it's accurate to say the Jays should have shopped Pillar before the league found out he wasn't a great hitter, that's been the report on Pillar since he was in the minors.

I think he's worth more than you think, especially given the rise in understanding of defensive run saves metrics. Certainly not under the believe he's worth a ton but I believe he has value. i think he starts in the OF on many teams in the league.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #2415
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While I love the way Pillar approaches the game, You can’t use a CF position on a guy with that weak of a bat. He also has very questionable baseball IQ. He’s always making dumb decisions on the base path and a lot of his superman catches are required because he doesn’t read the ball well off the bat. Like someone said, the time to move him was a couple years ago like many of us were saying on here at the time. A few years ago he had some extra value because there was still some time for development. But he is what he is now and that won’t fetch much at all.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #2416
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I've never really understood the philosophy behind the idea of "oh we better trade him before the league finds out the truth", as in fans of the team know better than the scouts and pros who do this for a living? They are far from perfect, but I don't think it's accurate to say the Jays should have shopped Pillar before the league found out he wasn't a great hitter, that's been the report on Pillar since he was in the minors.

I think he's worth more than you think, especially given the rise in understanding of defensive run saves metrics. Certainly not under the believe he's worth a ton but I believe he has value. i think he starts in the OF on many teams in the league.
He was never going to return an A caliber prospect, but a few years ago he could still be said to have some upside because if he could ever learn to hit he’d likely be an all-star. The upside part of that equation is still gone.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #2417
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sanchez and Stroman sucking while we as a team collectivily suck may actually benefit us. We may actually be able to keep them around for a bit for when the Vladdy/Bichette era starts.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #2418
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
He was never going to return an A caliber prospect, but a few years ago he could still be said to have some upside because if he could ever learn to hit he’d likely be an all-star. The upside part of that equation is still gone.
I get what you guys are saying I just don't agree. Hitting was Pillars weakness coming up the system and when he got here. I don't think other teams overlook that as easy as some.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #2419
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the returns other players in the league got this year. Pillar, while a great fielder, isn't on the good side of the maturity curve, and at this point there are no questions what he can be. He is what he is, there is no development and his downside is near. I really think he'll only get us a c-level prospect based on the factors others have said. It was never about knowing more than scouts, it was simply sample size and knowing if a guy hadn't fully developed, you could mold him into what you think he could be. Now he's proven what he is over a longer period of time and there's no mistaking what you have - a great fielder with a mediocre bat. Overstated but simply put. He's not getting you much even if his contract is controlled.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #2420
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun watching all these youngsters come up and play.

Paulino on the mound and he looks decent.