Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #421
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't disagree with anything you've posted Itse, I should clarify I am not saying crypto, bitcoin or otherwise, isn't a currency, anything can be a currency, I am saying this conversation, and every other conversation I've ever had about crypto is not a conversation about currency, all these conversations are about investing in Crypto as an investment 'it went up by 300% this month, man you need to get in on this, it's the future, trust me, no you don't need to know how it works just look at how much it increases in value, you'll make a fortune'

I will add that for a currency to be practical it needs two things, a use, which generally means a country it is accepted as legal tender, and stability, a currency that swings wildly in value is essentially useless for trade. In these two areas I cannot see bitcoin being of any use to anyone except a person who accepts potentially losing large amounts of money in order to safely clean their source of income

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 09-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #422
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I will add that for a currency to be practical it needs two things, a use, which generally means a country it is accepted as legal tender, and stability, a currency that swings wildly in value is essentially useless for trade. In these two areas I cannot see bitcoin being of any use to anyone except a person who accepts potentially losing large amounts of money in order to safely clean their source of income
Cryptocurriences actually have a major problem for people who want to clean their source of income: they "meticulously records which addresses send and receive transactions, including the exact time and amount -- great data to use as evidence".

Which is why criminals are dropping Bitcoins.

If you use Bitcoins, a government can perfectly legally (if not trivially, but that might change as technology improves) track all your transactions, going as far back as they like. With all their other means of surveillance, connecting Bitcoin wallets to users isn't likely to be a major hurdle.

Bitcoin is a privacy nightmare in the making. And really, all cryptocurrencies have more or less the same issue; they're in no way legally protected information. Anybody can take a crack at tracking your transactions if they feel like it.

If I was a shady sort of person, I'd offer a cryptocurrency wallet service just to easily gather information I could then blackmail people with.

Last edited by Itse; 09-08-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #423
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes, getting close to sub $3000 now.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #424
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang, going to zero soon I'd guess.
So glad I didn't get into the Bitcoin hype when every random person I met wanted to sell it to you like a drug dealer.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #425
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

It's just about to bounce back up, I tells ya! 50k bitcoin by January 1! NOT a bubble!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #426
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on to you, Mr pump and dump.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #427
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.coindesk.com/10-year-jai...-mark-karpeles

Japanese prosecutors are seeking a 10-year sentence for Mark Karpeles, the former chief executive officer of now-bankrupt bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox.

According to a report from The Mainichi on Wednesday, prosecutors claimed at the Tokyo District Court that Karpeles used customers’ funds for his own personal use.

He reportedly transferred 341 million yen (or $3 million) of customers’ money kept in an Mt. Gox bank account to his personal account during September–December 2013, according to a court indictment. They cash, they said, was taken for uses such as “investing in a software development business for personal interest.”
Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #428
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #429
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A month ago, I wanted to lock your device and ask for a not big amount of btc to unlock.
But I looked at the sites that you regularly visit, and I was shocked by what I saw!!!
I'm talk you about sites for adults.

I want to say - you are a BIG pervert. Your fantasy is shifted far away from the normal course!

And I got an idea....
I made a screenshot of the adult sites where you have fun (do you understand what it is about, huh?).
After that, I made a screenshot of your joys (using the camera of your device) and glued them together.
Turned out amazing! You are so spectacular!

I'm know that you would not like to show these screenshots to your friends, relatives or colleagues.
I think $713 is a very, very small amount for my silence.
Besides, I have been spying on you for so long, having spent a lot of time!

Pay ONLY in Bitcoins!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #430
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never really seen the inside of some of these things that people have built. Six months in between videos.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #431
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I've never really seen the inside of some of these things that people have built. Six months in between videos.

The guy spent 4000 for a couple of chicken shed fans!!! you knew he was no genius at that point
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #432
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I notice the pro bitcoin members are very quiet now, perhaps I should bump my posts about the inherent valueless nature of bitcoin and troll them a bit!!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #433
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I notice the pro bitcoin members are very quiet now, perhaps I should bump my posts about the inherent valueless nature of bitcoin and troll them a bit!!

For your next big trick you should try picking a 10x's winner. ok...go...
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #434
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The insane part is that it is still over $3000, despite being valueless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #435
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
For your next big trick you should try picking a 10x's winner. ok...go...

that's some kind of lotto I assume?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #436
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You spend a lot of your time worrying about something you don't care about or find valueless (over 5K Canadian)

There is no point in arguing with people who don't understand

Has been plenty of money to be made in Crypto over the past month or so for people who know what they are doing
Old 01-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #437
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one is arguing you can't make money off of other rubes with good timing, we are pointing out that it is valueless, and I'd argue has a negative societal benefit due to it's insane power consumption and poor design.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #438
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You spend a lot of your time worrying about something you don't care about or find valueless (over 5K Canadian)

Has been plenty of money to be made in Crypto over the past month or so for people who know what they are doing
can you short it? now that I'd be interested in
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #439
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I neither care nor worry, I do find it interesting we live in an age when people are prepared to spend large amounts of money on things that don't exist, skins in games, bitcoin, itune songs, I think this is an area that if I was younger I would investigate, but I'm old enough to be beyond that
Old 01-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #440
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys don't care so much you come here thanking each others posts giving high fives and posting every time there is a drop. "pro bitcoin members" are quiet because there is not point in talking with you guys. Drops are good for people who know what they are doing...most crypto guys I know are praying for $2500 BTC not scared of it.

Next time buy on the drops and make some money...fiat currency, assuming you think that has value...it is just paper after all and eventually will be worthless.

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum