Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2024, 11:08 AM   #101
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

According to moneypuck the Canadiens dominated the Flames and had an expected goals of 3.5 to Flames 2.5.

Gotta say it didn't feel that way but Wolf does make some saves look easy.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:09 AM   #102
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
The "fans" that wore the Nordiques jersey cheering for the Habs realize those two franchises hated each other, right?
No, they were fine. They just hate the Oilers that much and were casually checking out the Flames game before rooting for the Avs later in the evening.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:52 AM   #103
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah. Once the season is over, it’s back to the drawing board as things will reset and whatever happened this season will have no bearing on next season. Drafting top 10 is worth considerably more than meaningless wins at the end of the season.
Normally I would (at least somewhat) agree with this, but not this year, not with all the young players.

I want to see Wolf, Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, Pelletier, Kylington, Miromanov, Okhotiuk, and Pachal continue to play well and get better.

Sharangovich and Kuzmenko as well.

Even guys like Andersson, Kadri and Huberdeau, I want to see them remain engaged and remain excited for next season.

The Flames are going to pick between 11 and 14 regardless, and probably take the same player, no matter where they slot.

Play for growth.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 11:56 AM   #104
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh weird, maybe he asked for that this time. Usually every six months or so he'd lose it and say he's done spending time making gifs and videos, then wait a few months for posters to lament that he's gone and then he'd return to a heros welcome.
Then let the lamenting begin.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:10 PM   #105
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone with abilities should be able to do something with this gif I feel.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM   #106
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't have a chance to watch the wolf play this weekend, but it sure looks good.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:38 PM   #107
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started the replay and it's been about 6 minutes now of poor Ryan Leslie standing there looking into the camera seemingly ready to go, but waiting instead.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:42 PM   #108
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Normally I would (at least somewhat) agree with this, but not this year, not with all the young players.

I want to see Wolf, Zary, Pospisil, Coronato, Pelletier, Kylington, Miromanov, Okhotiuk, and Pachal continue to play well and get better.

Sharangovich and Kuzmenko as well.

Even guys like Andersson, Kadri and Huberdeau, I want to see them remain engaged and remain excited for next season.

The Flames are going to pick between 11 and 14 regardless, and probably take the same player, no matter where they slot.

Play for growth.
This is especially true for Wolf. Wolf's emergence as a good NHL starter would be more important than this year's first round draft pick.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 01:57 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This is especially true for Wolf. Wolf's emergence as a good NHL starter would be more important than this year's first round draft pick.
I like the kid, I think he shows a lot of promise. But at the end of the day...can he start ~60 NHL games a season?

Long, long ways to go yet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:20 PM   #110
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like the kid, I think he shows a lot of promise. But at the end of the day...can he start ~60 NHL games a season?

Long, long ways to go yet.
I don't see a reason to doubt the guy. He's the best goalie every where he's played. The odds he's going to come up here and be no good seems quite remote to me.

If you had a skater prospect who won best player 4 years in a row between junior and the AHL, he's be considered the greatest prospect in the world a mile (although a skater in his position would never play 2 straight season in the AHL)
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:25 PM   #111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't see a reason to doubt the guy. He's the best goalie every where he's played. The odds he's going to come up here and be no good seems quite remote to me.

If you had a skater prospect who won best player 4 years in a row between junior and the AHL, he's be considered the greatest prospect in the world a mile (although a skater in his position would never play 2 straight season in the AHL)
Oh I'm not saying that at all, just that historically speaking, the work-load of an NHL starting Goaltender is a lot higher than anything he's ever been used to.

We see it all the time, it takes a while for young goaltenders to adapt to the pace and schedule of the NHL.

We've said the same thing about Vladar, he can come in and play some good games, but can he do it 60 times? Its not a doubt or an indictment, its just the nature of the sport.

There is a reason people kept mentioning Kipper's longevity and ability to start ~70 games a season...thats hard. It takes some getting used to and there probably will be growing pains.

But if there is a time to see if he can do it, that time is now and next season.

I havent seen anything from Wolf to make me doubt him, but at the end of the day a handful of games is not the career of an NHL starting Goaltender.

So, call me 'cautiously optimistic.'

Which, if you know me, 'optimism' really isnt my bag. I've been a Flames fan long enough for that to have been thoroughly drilled out of me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM   #112
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also wouldn't bet against Wolf, as he's gotten better at every level he's graduated to and he's been one of the top goalies in each league he's been in. He's clearly a very talented goalie. All people are saying is that it will take time. Just like it took Saros, Vasilevsky, etc years to become a number 1 goalie that can play 50+ games a season and not see inconsistent results, it's very reasonable to expect the same path for Wolf. Young players entering the NHL taking multiple seasons to establish themselves isn't anything new and shouldn't be a surprise. It being an extremely rare event when a young player doesn't need that time and becomes an everyday NHLer in year 1, is all that I see most fans saying.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:51 PM   #113
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh I'm not saying that at all, just that historically speaking, the work-load of an NHL starting Goaltender is a lot higher than anything he's ever been used to.

We see it all the time, it takes a while for young goaltenders to adapt to the pace and schedule of the NHL.

We've said the same thing about Vladar, he can come in and play some good games, but can he do it 60 times? Its not a doubt or an indictment, its just the nature of the sport.

There is a reason people kept mentioning Kipper's longevity and ability to start ~70 games a season...thats hard. It takes some getting used to and there probably will be growing pains.

But if there is a time to see if he can do it, that time is now and next season.

I havent seen anything from Wolf to make me doubt him, but at the end of the day a handful of games is not the career of an NHL starting Goaltender.

So, call me 'cautiously optimistic.'

Which, if you know me, 'optimism' really isnt my bag. I've been a Flames fan long enough for that to have been thoroughly drilled out of me.
Wolf played 55 regular season and 9 playoff games with the Wranglers last season and one with the Flames, so he’s closer than you may think to that 60 game mark.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 07:35 PM   #114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
What fool takes on a wolf armed only with a stick and a bit of rubber.
Meh....I know for a fact that Russic has done more with less.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 07:43 PM   #115
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
Then let the lamenting begin.
Oh no. Where else on the internet will we possibly find gifs, gifs with women in them, and Elon Musk apologisms?

*single tear*
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:29 PM   #116
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very happy to be wrong about about Wolf. He’s looking pretty good lately.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:56 AM   #117
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/41973045/
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/montre...boxscore-41073
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/game...nadiens-flames
https://fieldlevelmedia.com/news/mik...ruggling-habs/
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:

Tags