Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #681
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
depending on your direction of travel, the trees that are around the intersection would limit your field of vision from a distance. As you get closer, you will be able to see more, but your reaction time would be limited.
There's a video that uses Google Street view and shows how trees would potentially obstruct the view in this link. Though the video was shot during summer, they are evergreen trees so would not be different in winter.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...bus-crash-via/

Sigh
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #682
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
depending on your direction of travel, the trees that are around the intersection would limit your field of vision from a distance. As you get closer, you will be able to see more, but your reaction time would be limited.
I’ve turned at this intersection 100’s if not 1000’s of times. As a kid it was where we would turn or go straight to get to the lake on 1 of 2 routes. I’ve also pumped the brakes at the intersection approaching it from the west where a family died in 1996.

It’s flat as a pancake & disorientating.

I was born & lived in Saskatchewan until I was 35.

My main issue with this accident is that the intersection is a symptom of a larger problem.

That being, an archaic transportation network that attempts to serve an increasingly smaller rural population. Saskatchewan still has nearly 400 rural municipalities.

It does NOT have counties or municipal districts like Alberta where economies of scale can optimally design/build/maintain transportation networks that directly and accurately fund infrastructure based on population & economic activity.

Instead of having more miles of road per capita than pretty much anywhere else in the world... Saskatchewan needs to focus on regional governance and budgeting to build safe roadways, intersections, turning lanes, infrastructure etc. that is more inline with actual populations & economic activity, not some nostalgia of what they’ve always done or think they need.

In essence... lose or close the redundant crappy highways, intersections etc and ONLY fund/build/maintain ones of a higher/safer standard.

The governing party knows this & has had the political capital to get this accomplished for over a decade. But they steadfastly refuse or are scared to put their big boy pants on and get it done.

If there is blame for this, or culpability... for me... it rests with them.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #683
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ part of me thinks there are intersections similar to that in all parts of rural canada - maybe moreso in the prairies - but that is more of a gut feel with little to no evidence

i relaize that there have been two large accidents at that particular intersection though. But there are likely other intersections in SK where there have been more accidents and perhaps even more total lives lost/changed.

if the province of SK were to change this particular intersection, then do they have a duty to change a whole bunch of them using a defined metric for design?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #684
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, now this comes out

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...4-798d8a4cab00

Looks like mr Singh had a lot of driving violations. Also interesting is that there is some unaccounted for time prior to the accident.

I will concede that given his lack of driving experience he may not have known what the rules are and his duty
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #685
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ part of me thinks there are intersections similar to that in all parts of rural canada - maybe moreso in the prairies - but that is more of a gut feel with little to no evidence

i relaize that there have been two large accidents at that particular intersection though. But there are likely other intersections in SK where there have been more accidents and perhaps even more total lives lost/changed.

if the province of SK were to change this particular intersection, then do they have a duty to change a whole bunch of them using a defined metric for design?
There was a lot of accidents at the intersection of HWY 519 and HWY 23 near Nobleford (close to Lethbridge), some fatal. They changed it to a round about a couple of years ago and there hasn't been any fatal accidents since and accidents that did happen were truckers asleep at the wheel driving over the round about or too fast around it. Everybody complained about it at first, but the results don't lie. We really should see more roundabouts on rural highways.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #686
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Ugh, now this comes out

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...4-798d8a4cab00

Looks like mr Singh had a lot of driving violations. Also interesting is that there is some unaccounted for time prior to the accident.

I will concede that given his lack of driving experience he may not have known what the rules are and his duty
70 errors in the log book? The only reasonable explanation is that he was never taught to use the log book. Clear lack of training, IMO
Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #687
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
There was a lot of accidents at the intersection of HWY 519 and HWY 23 near Nobleford (close to Lethbridge), some fatal. They changed it to a round about a couple of years ago and there hasn't been any fatal accidents since and accidents that did happen were truckers asleep at the wheel driving over the round about or too fast around it. Everybody complained about it at first, but the results don't lie. We really should see more roundabouts on rural highways.
That's really a brilliant idea, and one that never occurred to me as a Brit.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #688
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
70 errors in the log book? The only reasonable explanation is that he was never taught to use the log book. Clear lack of training, IMO
Yea ill blame the company for that.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #689
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really do empathize with this driver, especially now that we know he wasn’t on his phone or drinking.

I’ve blown a rural stop sign before, I didn’t realize it until I was midway through the intersection. There was no distraction or reason behind it, just a momentary lapse of concentration. I think it’s bound to happen to anyone who does enough driving, especially on the prairies with our straight, flat roads. Luckily in 99% of cases nothing bad like this happens.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #690
Salisbury
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have thought about this accident, and first the obvious, if Mr Singh had stopped it would have never had happened.

But think about the timing, the very unlucky timing of the whole incident.

Imagine if you wanted to deliberately stage this from the moment of both vehicles last stop before the accident.

Imagine how tricky it would be to get each vehicle to arrive at that intersection as they both crossed. The timing of the their individual departure and their speeds would have to be so critical and precise. If one vehicle left a few seconds later or earlier it would not have occurred.

Yet it happened making it the very exceptional and sad tragedy that it is.
Salisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #691
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post
I have thought about this accident, and first the obvious, if Mr Singh had stopped it would have never had happened.

Imagine if you wanted to deliberately stage this from the moment of both vehicles last stop before the accident.

Imagine how tricky it would be to get each vehicle to arrive at that intersection as they both crossed. The timing of the their individual departure and their speeds would have to be so critical and precise. If one vehicle left a few seconds later or earlier it would not have occurred.
I used to think about this exact thing quite often. My first wife passed away in an auto accident we were in a long time ago. Similar situation. Rural highway in Oklahoma and some lady blew through a stop sign at an intersection. I used to beat myself up thinking what if we hadn't stopped at the last station 30 mins prior or what if we would have stayed to have breakfast with her family?

It's crazy how every thing had to line up to create that event.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #692
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ so sorry to hear. No further words can express it

Tragic. Sorry, man
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 AM   #693
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I 100% respect the victims and the rule of law which prescribes that a just punishment must be handed out. I can't even imagine the suffering of the victims and anything that can even remotely give them a minuscule amount of peace should be applied in this case.

But I also hope that Mr. Singh gets proper mental health support and rehabilitation opportunities while in prison. He has a lifetime of guilt and remorse in front of him. I have no doubt that he is going to suffer mental anguish for the rest of his life. I am not at all diminishing his responsibility, but everything I have read since the tragedy suggests that he is not someone beyond repair.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 AM   #694
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbury View Post

Yet it happened making it the very exceptional and sad tragedy that it is.
Fate,bad luck or bad timing can describe most every negative thing that can happen to a person, on the flip side a lottery winner had good luck, the person who missed the bad accident by seconds had good timing but they can still say the word.. Fate.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #695
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i too think of the incredible timing that lead tot his. One of the vehicles goes 1 kph slower or faster. One of the players is late becuase they stopped at tim hortons on the bus is delayed. the loading of the semi takes 20 seconds longer.

to be honest i am surprised that mr. singh is not in a mental hospital on suicide watch. I can only imagine what goes thru his mind on a daily basis, or when he wakes up at night.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #696
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are indeed intersections like this all over. Rural roads literally by the hundreds across the prairies but also some major highway intersections. As others have noted the Province has gone with traffic circles in some instances. I find rumble strips very effective at getting your attention too, those should be at every intersection of primary and secondary highways and Alberta seems to be pretty good about it.

Here is the intersection of Highways 21 and 9 just east of Beiseker. It's wide open prairie so no trees but topography (hills) can partially block views too. I think there have been some accidents here too IIRC and they have done a lot of work to make the intersection as obvious as possible. It's now a 4 way stop, I don't recall it being that way when I used to drive it frequently 25 years ago.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.38558...7i13312!8i6656
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #697
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andrea Joseph, Mother of Jaxon Joesph is very upset.

"Andrea Joseph, whose 20-year-old son Jaxon died in the April 6 crash, told Jaskirat Singh Sidhu that he did not deserve forgiveness. Between gasps and tears, she looked directly at Mr. Sidhu and said she wanted him to see and feel the trauma he caused.

“I despise you for taking my baby away,” Ms. Joseph said as she delivered a victim-impact statement in a makeshift courtroom in Melfort, Sask. “You crushed my world.''

“You are an arrogant and inconsiderate monster with no regard for life or rules or laws.”

She also said in an interview that the driver had his cruise control on the whole time. Sounds to me that he didn't want to gear down to save time.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...rash-does-not/
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #698
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #699
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Intersection of 13 and 21 near Camrose, where several major accidents occurred, even though there was traffic lights, and now is a traffic circle
https://goo.gl/maps/EWJJnd99GTx
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #700
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Just sad honestly. He doesn't belong in a prison.

And the greyhound bus murderer (albeit was mentally insane) was let out to roam freely after just 9 years short from the date of the murder.

I don't understand the Justice system sometimes.