Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the current version of CalgaryNEXT?
Yes 163 25.39%
No 356 55.45%
Undecided 123 19.16%
Voters: 642. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #1581
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Would you rather calgary be perpetually known as 'small town'?

A mega project like this would be a step in the right direction.
no one calls Calgary "small town"
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #1582
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
There's a ton of small town thinking in the pages of this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #1583
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #1584
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People in Canada don't call Calgary small town, but if you expand beyond Canadian borders lots of people would call Calgary small town, if people knew where Calgary was or anything about it beyond the Stampede (which only reinforces the small town comment).
Old 04-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #1585
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Flames will offer written response to report in July
July of what year?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #1586
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And people think CalgaryNEXT somehow elevates Calgary out of "small town"? That's setting the bar to not be considered a small town remarkably low.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #1587
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
People in Canada don't call Calgary small town, but if you expand beyond Canadian borders lots of people would call Calgary small town, if people knew where Calgary was or anything about it beyond the Stampede (which only reinforces the small town comment).
Calgary is no New York or LA but its not an Edmonton either. It doesn't have the history to be a "big town" and new arena district isn't going to make it a big town.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #1588
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a bizzare thing to be concerned about, are we small town or not? Who cares,we are what we are. We are a city of 1.2m people, which is small or large depending your perspective. We certainly are small town and always will be in comparison to the worlds biggest most metropolitan cities (New Yorks of the world) and no arena project will change that. And we'll always be larger than where most people in the world live too, regardless of arena.

As for World Class, has nothing to do with size. This city constantly ranks top 10 places to live in the world......sounds world class to me. New arena's and other investments are part of ensuring that stays.

But holly Molly the number of people that worry about weird crap like does someone in Toronto call us small town or hick or country is redicilous. We aren't NYC and never will be, but we also have some great stuff going on, stop worrying about small town thinking, it's not a thing.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 04-25-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #1589
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Calgary is no New York or LA but its not an Edmonton either. It doesn't have the history to be a "big town" and new arena district isn't going to make it a big town.

Exactly what differentiates Calgary from Edmonton? Seriously? Putting the long standing rivalry aside, what makes Calgary bigger or better than Edmonton? Population? They're both middling sized cities? Economics? I think Calgary is hurting just as bad as Edmonton at the moment. Not much difference. Political influence? Edmonton has Calgary there. Education facilities? U of A is a much better university than U of C. Cultural attractions? Edmonton has a definite facilities advantage and continues to extend that edge. It's great to make fun of Edmonton and the sweat pant wearing mullet set up in the City of Chumps, but I don't see Calgary having much that makes it better than their provincial counterpart, outside of proximity to the Rocky Mountains.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #1590
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's a ton of small town thinking in the pages of this thread.
Because people don't want to publicly subsidize a stadium?

Are you going to also tell us that we should build something because Edmonton (*spits*) got something better?

The only small town thinking in this thread is by people like you thinking that building a new hockey arena somehow puts us on the "world class" map.

This argument was given up on about 80 pages ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #1591
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because people don't want to publicly subsidize a stadium?

Are you going to also tell us that we should build something because Edmonton (*spits*) got something better?

The only small town thinking in this thread is by people like you thinking that building a new hockey arena somehow puts us on the "world class" map.

This argument was given up on about 80 pages ago.
Well actually, the Flames can build a rink on their own. This is a mega project that absolutely requires public funds.

You can accept that, or not.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #1592
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well actually, the Flames can build a rink on their own. This is a mega project that absolutely requires public funds.

I accept the fact, but I disagree with the notion.

Let the Flames build a rink. Calgary will not float or sink without CalgaryNEXT. Our perception to the outside world (not that it matters) will be unchanged regardless.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #1593
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed, abandon the mega project.

Tax payers pay for a field house for amateur use only, with parking.

Corporations pay for professional arenas, including land, tax on land and portions of the infrastructure upgrades to roads to support the new arena.

Or at least this should be the starting discussion point and anything else is a negotiation, not a given.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #1594
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This white elephant would likely do more harm to Calgary's reputation than it does good. Just because the Flames have touted it as 'World Class', doesn't make it so.
I'm just happy council appears to see that and likely just doing it's due diligence in allowing the Flames to respond to their concerns before ruling this whole idea a dud. The Flames will have to put in some real effort now to overcome the shortcomings of their initial proposal and it seems unlikely they'll be able to.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #1595
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Would you rather calgary be perpetually known as 'small town'?

A mega project like this would be a step in the right direction.
Said nothing about the project, but rather the overuse of a tired, ridiculous phrase that has no real meaning. Its very use is what limits it IMHO. Seems very small town to have to prove it and use it as a selling point.

But maybe thats the point - a bit of reverse psychology lol

Last edited by ricosuave; 04-25-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #1596
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sounds like the CalgaryNEXT plan wasn't that good. Did the Flames actually do their homework? Sounds like Football and Hockey will need to be separated, and Hockey's going to have to look at the Stampede grounds. Its seems like Ken King may have really dropped the ball on this one.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #1597
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I've seen anything earlier in this thread...are there any other examples of combined fieldhouse/football stadium similar to what is proposed in CNext? We've seen dozens of other concepts of arena concourse and stadium roofing solutions to compare to, but I don't remember any combined fieldhouse/stadium examples. I'm sure some must exist in US colleges (but even then they would be intended for college population more than general public)...
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #1598
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I don't think I've seen anything earlier in this thread...are there any other examples of combined fieldhouse/football stadium similar to what is proposed in CNext? We've seen dozens of other concepts of arena concourse and stadium roofing solutions to compare to, but I don't remember any combined fieldhouse/stadium examples. I'm sure some must exist in US colleges (but even then they would be intended for college population more than general public)...
I believe when it was first introduced King mentioned one other place that was looking at it.

I believe it was in Russia

EDIT: VTB Arena in Moscow currently under construction (with changes to how the two surfaces are aligned.)

Last edited by Cappy; 04-25-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #1599
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Sounds like the CalgaryNEXT plan wasn't that good. Did the Flames actually do their homework? Sounds like Football and Hockey will need to be separated, and Hockey's going to have to look at the Stampede grounds. Its seems like Ken King may have really dropped the ball on this one.
Not so much dropped the ball, but perhaps too ambitious. the logic choice for arena and stadium are so very clear - and for good reason.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #1600
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe when it was first introduced King mentioned one other place that was looking at it.

I believe it was in Russia

EDIT: VTB Arena in Moscow currently under construction (with changes to how the two surfaces are aligned.)

Thanks - I wasn't so much wondering about stadium+arena, but rather stadium+fieldhouse. That Moscow example looks very cool (and rings a bell from earlier) but does not seem to have a public fieldhouse component.

I'm more curious about seeing the retractable seating ideas, etc. actually in practice and how various user groups feel about it.

For instance, Edmonton has 'Joe Clarke Athletic Grounds' adjacent to commonwealth stadium, but that's not to the same scope of what's being prepared, and not actually a shared footprint...

Last edited by powderjunkie; 04-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Closed Thread