Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the current version of CalgaryNEXT?
Yes 163 25.39%
No 356 55.45%
Undecided 123 19.16%
Voters: 642. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #521
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You guys are like the posters 'hearing things' on deadline day.
Does that make it untrue?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #522
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
And does this alternative scheme move Bow Trail?

If not, I will also be mad.
This alternative scheme could be the greatest concept ever rendered and it would matter not to a group of people that are dead set against a new building so I fully expect lots of people to be mad regardless.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #523
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Does that make it untrue?
You're a pretty big 0 for 1.

Months, maybe years of telling us how awesome and innovative the arena proposal was going to be.

The only innovation was Ken King taking a poop, and developing a mechanism to convert a physical turd to a .pptx file.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #524
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are like the posters 'hearing things' on deadline day.
I never make news items about this, all I'm saying is that alternative concepts have been designed.

You don't have to believe me. But I've seen them and they're there.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #525
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Months, maybe years of telling us how awesome and innovative the arena proposal was going to be.

The only innovation was Ken King taking a poop, and developing a mechanism to convert a physical turd to a .pptx file.
If you expected a extremely unique project, likely projected to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, to be completely bulletproof and seamless in its design from day one, then I don't know what to say. Maybe adjust your expectations. This isn't a $500 tool shed being built here. Also, it isn't your money or project, so if your ideas are so much better, maybe get involved somehow?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #526
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muta View Post
if you expected a extremely unique project, likely projected to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, to be completely bulletproof and seamless in its design from day one, then i don't know what to say. Maybe adjust your expectations. This isn't a $500 tool shed being built here. Also, it isn't your money or project, so if your ideas are so much better, maybe get involved somehow?
lol
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #527
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
lol
I take it your first draft of your university papers was good enough for an A+ mark, yes? No edits, revisions, and corrections required?

You have little concept about the complexities of major construction and redevelopment projects, this much is true.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #528
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you expected a extremely unique project, likely projected to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, to be completely bulletproof and seamless in its design from day one, then I don't know what to say. Maybe adjust your expectations. This isn't a $500 tool shed being built here. Also, it isn't your money or project, so if your ideas are so much better, maybe get involved somehow?
I think most people would like it to make sense.

Also considering how much you pumped the tires and it came out flat can you expect different?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #529
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I take it your first draft of your university papers was good enough for an A+ mark, yes? No edits, revisions, and corrections required?
Did you just compare an arena district proposal to an undergrad humanities paper?

Maybe the Flames are in worse shape than even *I* thought possible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #530
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

KK just confirmed that he wants the 250M ticket tax to be fronted by the city.

Called that one pretty easily.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #531
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Did you just compare an arena district proposal to an undergrad humanities paper?

Haha no, I compared your asinine attitude towards construction projects to that of a first year humanities paper. But nice spin job, doc.

You clearly have little concept about complex construction projects.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #532
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think most people would like it to make sense.

Also considering how much you pumped the tires and it came out flat can you expect different?
I'm sorry, but what were you expecting? A finished design right off the bat? If so, you might not fully understand how design and construction projects work. And that's okay, not everyone does.

If you don't like the concept that was released, that's a matter of your own opinion. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #533
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What was so 'LOL' about what I said? Your post was more of a drive-by than anything.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #534
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Considering no one on the project took the time to google "Should I place a massive wall with little public interface and low usage intensity right on a city's downtown riverfront?" I don't think there was much hope from the get go.

They'd put the aforementioned $500 tool shed in the middle of the Peace Bridge while they were at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #535
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

You have little concept about the complexities of major construction and redevelopment projects, this much is true.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #536
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Considering no one on the project took the time to google "Should I place a massive wall with little public interface and low usage intensity right on a city's downtown riverfront?" I don't think there was much hope from the get go.

They'd put the aforementioned $500 tool shed in the middle of the Peace Bridge while they were at it.
What wall are you talking about?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #537
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It seems to be a lot of the disdain towards the original announcement was due to the underwhelming concept pictures. That's fair because even the staunchest supporter of the project would have liked to see something more revealing than what looked like very rough renders. The fact of the matter though is that having a large fieldhouse connected to a world class arena is an innovative idea and details like the glass roof (I believe this idea came from the new Minneapolis field) on the field house are cutting edge facility design. If done right I have no doubt that Calgary NEXT would be the "awesome and innovative the arena proposal" King said it would be but it seems King and the Flames owners really underestimated how easy the populace can be swayed by concept renders. I'm sure if they could do it again they would have got a studio to crank out some glossy futuristic concept that would have had nothing in common with the final project if they knew that concept renders mattered this much in swaying taxpayers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #538
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

From what I'm hearing, KK has brought zero new information to the lunch. Basically repeating the same talking points as before.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #539
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Concept =/ Reality.

I think there are posters on here that are having a hard time deciphering the difference.

Also, not liking a design is a matter of opinion. Personally I don't like the renderings either, but a field house / arena concept is a great idea IMO.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #540
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It seems to be a lot of the disdain towards the original announcement was due to the underwhelming concept pictures. That's fair because even the staunchest supporter of the project would have liked to see something more revealing than what looked like very rough renders. The fact of the matter though is that having a large fieldhouse connected to a world class arena is an innovative idea and details like the glass roof (I believe this idea came from the new Minneapolis field) on the field house are cutting edge facility design. If done right I have no doubt that Calgary NEXT would be the "awesome and innovative the arena proposal" King said it would be but it seems King and the Flames owners really underestimated how easy the populace can be swayed by concept renders. I'm sure if they could do it again they would have got a studio to crank out some glossy futuristic concept that would have had nothing in common with the final project if they knew that concept renders mattered this much in swaying taxpayers.
Bull####, the problem is that these innovative ideas are funded completely by taxpayers, while the Flames ownership group reaps the benefit from any of these facilities.
Closed Thread