Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2021, 12:13 AM   #4221
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Maple Ridge this afternoon. I used to love that course as a kid but I can't believe they charge what they do for the condition it's in. Ended with an 83, which I was happy with given that I somehow lost 3 balls. Finally figuring out my new Mizuno driver.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #4222
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Played Maple Ridge this afternoon. I used to love that course as a kid but I can't believe they charge what they do for the condition it's in. Ended with an 83, which I was happy with given that I somehow lost 3 balls. Finally figuring out my new Mizuno driver.
I feel like you're not talking about Maple Ridge.

I've always considered that one of the better value for experience in the city. Did they raise the price from $52 plus cart?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #4223
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got wintergreen tomorrow afternoon in heat. Not really happy golfing in 30 degree weather but I’ve never played there and I need practice for a golf trip this up coming weekend!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #4224
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ve got wintergreen tomorrow afternoon in heat. Not really happy golfing in 30 degree weather but I’ve never played there and I need practice for a golf trip this up coming weekend!
It has been many years since I've played Wintergreen but if I'm not mistaken it is heavily treed to at least you can find some shade to get out of the sun. I recall the greens out there being in very rough shape but hopefully they have corrected that over the last few years.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #4225
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy ##### guys I did it!!!

I took a friend to Lil Devil on Sunday to give her a few pointers as she just started golfing last year. Hole #5, 114 yards and I aced it, two bounces then it rolled in!

So pumped for my first hole in one!!! They even gave me a flag at the pro shop to keep.

So do I just retire now? Haha
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #4226
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Holy ##### guys I did it!!!

I took a friend to Lil Devil on Sunday to give her a few pointers as she just started golfing last year. Hole #5, 114 yards and I aced it, two bounces then it rolled in!

So pumped for my first hole in one!!! They even gave me a flag at the pro shop to keep.

So do I just retire now? Haha
I'll trade you
Old 06-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #4227
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I feel like you're not talking about Maple Ridge.

I've always considered that one of the better value for experience in the city. Did they raise the price from $52 plus cart?
It was $64 for 18 holes, plus $20 for the cart. I see now that during these past few weeks with these new restrictions, they are charging per 9 holes, rather than 18.

I suppose $54 isn't quite as bad, and a cart really isn't needed but even so, the condition was pretty bad. Fairways and tee boxes were well below average, greens not quite that bad. Maybe it's just an early season thing but there are much better deals out there, that's for sure.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #4228
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To add to other similar stories on here...

I golfed the 9 hole course at Highwood in High River on Saturday with my wife and daughter. Nothing was working, and I stopped keeping score after 3 holes. It was a real chore just to finish. Lost 5 balls.

Just came back from Carstairs where I broke 80 for the first time. Shot 78 (40-38) with 6 bogies and 12 pars. Drove and putted well, while iron shots were a mixed bag, but the misses didn't hurt me too bad. My one lost ball was a drive in the water on 17. But I still ended up making par with an 80 yard wedge shot to 3 feet on my fourth shot.

Don't know what to expect next round.

I will say that Carstairs isn't in the best of shape. Several fairways were really patchy with dead grass, and the greens were slow. But what a gorgeous day for golf!
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #4229
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tried the Golf Future YYC digital shot tracker on the second level of there driving range. It was awesome! Booked it for an hour and ended up getting a bucket and a half in.

For those that have tried TopGolf in the US, it has some similarities

It was really interesting to see how far my shots where going and how I was striking the ball. It has given me some ideas to change shot slightly.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #4230
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Tried the Golf Future YYC digital shot tracker on the second level of there driving range. It was awesome! Booked it for an hour and ended up getting a bucket and a half in.

For those that have tried TopGolf in the US, it has some similarities

It was really interesting to see how far my shots where going and how I was striking the ball. It has given me some ideas to change shot slightly.
That is cool. I had no idea that facility was implementing shot tracing technology. I know that Windmill Group is looking to build a TopGolf like facility in Springbank. I'll try to give this place a try later this month.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #4231
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
That is cool. I had no idea that facility was implementing shot tracing technology. I know that Windmill Group is looking to build a TopGolf like facility in Springbank. I'll try to give this place a try later this month.
It’s going to be more like golf future than top golf. Out at mickleson. Looks like some canbanas on the driving range there.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #4232
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Last week I played out in Kimberley/Cranbrook.
Shadow Mountain and Trickle Creek were in great shape and really nice courses to play.
Wildstone, similar story, but unnecessarily difficult greens, in my opinion.
Last round was St. Eugene - it was awful - the course conditions are the worst I think I've ever seen, let alone for a $80+ round. Fairways are dead with clumps of green 'grass' scattered throughout. You can hit a fairway and have a terrible lie because your ball sat in a dead patch with a hard clump of grass right behind it.

All in all, a good three days of golf - was nice to play out there.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to core_upt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #4233
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

golfed serentity yesterday. Started on Dancing Bull West. Hit the range first, was hitting everything nicely, then on the first tee i whiffed my tee shot and my mulligan - go figure.

On three I hit a really sweet drive, pulled out my three wood and hit the ball up in the air and where it landed i know not where. After that I did not lsoe a ball until 18 - so i suppsoed that was a moral victory. Finsj=hed the font 9 at +20.

Thought I played better on teh back 9 as on holes 10 thru 17 i was o worse than double bogey, with a par. Blew up on 18, and I put three tee shots into what seemed to be a 10 foot radius in the water. Despite feeling like i played better on the back 9 i was +19......so utimatey i was around 110.

Perosnally, I'd be really happy if i could consistently play to bogey/double with a couple of pars in the mix.

i felt like my club was open at impact a lot, causing my ball to not be on target.

it was a great day out there as tehre was very little wind.

Will repeat on sunday with the wife
Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #4234
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
Last week I played out in Kimberley/Cranbrook.
Shadow Mountain and Trickle Creek were in great shape and really nice courses to play.
Wildstone, similar story, but unnecessarily difficult greens, in my opinion.
Last round was St. Eugene - it was awful - the course conditions are the worst I think I've ever seen, let alone for a $80+ round. Fairways are dead with clumps of green 'grass' scattered throughout. You can hit a fairway and have a terrible lie because your ball sat in a dead patch with a hard clump of grass right behind it.

All in all, a good three days of golf - was nice to play out there.
If you go back out there I highly recommend Bootleg Gap. We do our golf trip out that way and for the price, Bootleg has always been top notch.

If you are doing a guys trip I also recommend Kimberley GC if you are wanting a course to place some bets and mess around. The back 9 is vastly different from the front and is fun. Everything you said about Trickle, Shadow, Wildstone and St. Eugene were spot on as well (except for Shadow as that course is too long for this high handicapper, but it has the best views from the tees)
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #4235
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody get on board with Arccos yet?

I love it - tons of information, which really helps your game. For instance, a full set of data on each club, how often you miss left, right, short and long, the avg distance and range for each, etc etc
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #4236
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic round out at wintergreen today in the heat. Had to mix in a float down the elbow after but was totally worth it.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #4237
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I love it - tons of information, which really helps your game. For instance, a full set of data on each club, how often you miss left, right, short and long, the avg distance and range for each, etc etc
Do you find the pegs on the end of your clubs distracting at all?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 AM   #4238
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I haven’t, but I think my wife’s clubs have that embedded (or something very close). I’d like to use it though, because it looks amazing. That would convince me to have my phone out during a round, I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #4239
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, the new Launchpad has broken ground.

csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #4240
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Well, the new Launchpad has broken ground.
Good to have a Top Golf alternative in Calgary. But will be expensive for sure.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow