Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #2261
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
LOL absolutely. Almost all the members there are on the same page. Get moving or GTFO. Pretty impressive when you consider the average age is likely 60+; the oldtimers all play at a pretty quick pace considering the vast majority of them walk.

I'm playing somewhere else Friday and I'm kind of dreading it.
Where are you playing?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #2262
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking for some recommendations on courses from some of the avid golfers here.

I'm not a great golfer, but have been steadily improving- last year I got out for about 15 rounds, but unfortunately I have only been twice this season.

I am looking for a course that I can play early morning on Saturdays/Sundays by myself. Nothing too fancy, just want to continue to work on my game.

I'm not very familiar with the Calgary golf scene at all, but courses I have played so far include Inglewood, Shaganappi, Bearspaw, Douglasdale, and Heatherglen.

Thank you in advance!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #2263
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Looking for some recommendations on courses from some of the avid golfers here.

I'm not a great golfer, but have been steadily improving- last year I got out for about 15 rounds, but unfortunately I have only been twice this season.

I am looking for a course that I can play early morning on Saturdays/Sundays by myself. Nothing too fancy, just want to continue to work on my game.

I'm not very familiar with the Calgary golf scene at all, but courses I have played so far include Inglewood, Shaganappi, Bearspaw, Douglasdale, and Heatherglen.

Thank you in advance!
Saturday/Sunday morning by yourself? I would be shocked if there is any in the Calgary area you could get away with that. Weekdays for sure. But weekends? Good luck.

I'd look to find some buddies to play with regularity.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #2264
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Saturday/Sunday morning by yourself? I would be shocked if there is any in the Calgary area you could get away with that. Weekdays for sure. But weekends? Good luck.

I'd look to find some buddies to play with regularity.
That's an option too- I have 3-4 buddies that I go out with most of the time. I don't mind getting paired up with a group either. Which courses would your recommend?

Last edited by bax; 07-23-2019 at 01:22 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #2265
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to Portland soon for a roadtrip/anniversary vacation. Going to sneak out and get a early round in, anyone played Heron Lakes Golf Club - Great Blue Course or Eastmoreland Golf Course?

I'm much closer to Eastmoreland as thats where I am staying 4 min compared to 24-30 min to Heron Lakes, but I've read that Heron Lakes is really good. anyone play either of these?
Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #2266
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That's an option too- I have 3-4 buddies that I go out with most of the time. I don't mind getting paired up with a group either. Which courses would your recommend?
I mean some courses are priced a lot more than others but really if you just want to get better play as many rounds as you can and mix in some range sessions. So I’d look for cheap offers or groupons and save money.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #2267
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Where are you playing?
Not sure yet.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #2268
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Where is the mickleson? I’ve been trying to figure that out for a while.

Shot 88 yesterday at Speingbank. Tee’d off at 6:04 and still got 18 in. Was a great round. 4 lost balls though for ####s sake.

https://goo.gl/maps/1WwJQk8P1uprg6FeA

Part of the new community Harmony.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #2269
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been playing almost every day at Lynx Ridge & Valley Ridge - Valley's in tremendous shape and the greens are lightning fast. Teeing off between 7:30 and 7:45 every morning and my longest round has been 3 hours 15 minutes walking.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:13 PM   #2270
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any course recommendations west of Edmonton? Plan to play Cougar creek and Trestle creek. Staying about 40 mins west of Edmonton and would like to play 3 rounds of golf while there.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #2271
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironhead in Wabumun is a nice layout, but the conditions can be quite variable. Very hit an miss.

Cougar is excellent. Definitely a must play.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #2272
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Ironhead in Wabumun is a nice layout, but the conditions can be quite variable. Very hit an miss.

Cougar is excellent. Definitely a must play.
Yah my cabin is right down the road from ironhead. Haven’t heard good things this year about it.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #2273
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yah my cabin is right down the road from ironhead. Haven’t heard good things this year about it.
It's a shame because it's such a nice piece of property.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #2274
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Ironhead last year and it was in horrible shape, the bunkers needed to be hit with a weed trimmer. Great layout, but very neglected.

Trestle Creek is an experience, Cougar is also good, may also want to do the Ranch.
I saw J Iginla on the putting green there many years ago.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #2275
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya ironhead was going downhill and they brought in some Koreans to run it IIRC and it got a lot better. Now it’s just going downhill again. I was told this may be their last year.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #2276
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya ironhead was going downhill and they brought in some Koreans to run it IIRC and it got a lot better. Now it’s just going downhill again. I was told this may be their last year.
Even the clubhouse feels like it is about to collapse any time.

I golf in Gibbons, and apparently there a bunch a guys from Ironhead playing there, so, that can't be good. They book 2 t times and 15 guys show up

Last edited by DuffMan; 07-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #2277
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great place to go to. Highly recommend Cougar Creek. I am with DuffMan and don't go to Ironhead. That place used to be a gem but has fell in to such disrepair that it's embarrassing.
Still the only place though where I had a wolf walk out of the treeline beside me as I was on the tee box and then saunter down the fairway #coolstorybro

Seba Beach (or Pineridge) has now become a 12 hole golf course.

We used to have our family golf tournament at Silver Sands on Isle lake. That was always a decent course but I haven't played it in years.

Grouse Nest isn't a bad 9 hole course if you are looking for something there.

Also, I don't know if it's still around and can't find anything online but Wildwood Golf and RV Resort (loosely put) is something to be experienced. A 9 hole course in the trees with literally round greens. Perfect small circles that couldn't hold a feather placed upon it. Good times there.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #2278
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Golfed Delacour yesterday. It was hot, but pace was good as we finished in just over 4 hours, and their twilight rate was great ($40 walking after 2pm).

Unfortunately, still a temp green on 2, though the actual green looked to be almost ready to use. Fairway on 3 had large chunks taken out of it on the left side. There were a couple more fairways and greens that showed damage, but the rest was pretty good. Still, a far cry from a few years back where the fairways were like carpets and the greens smooth and consistent.

Carts are restricted to fairway or path - no riding in the first cut even (except to cross into the fairway, obviously). They are also using red/white/blue flags instead of quadrants on the greens. Unfortunately, they use checkered flags, and the white and blue flags look to similar to my old eyes (white/black checks versus blue/white checks), especially with the slight haze in the air.

Overall, still a great deal. Hopefully they can fully recover by fall as Delacour is one of my go to courses in October due to the general lack of trees/leaves on the course.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #2279
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the deal at Delacour this year? I used to love playing it but heard nothing but bad things about it this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #2280
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Their twilight rate is $40 walking, $56 cart after 2pm which leaves lots of time to finish the round.

I think seniors also get 10% off all rates.

Oh, the other change I noticed is that range balls aren't free anymore. But the grass driving range was open.

Edit: I just realize you were asking what happened to the course conditions. Yeah - no idea. Not sure if it was just winter kill, or if they changed their maintenance plan.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow