Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
A couple things:

Glad to see some barriers being broken. To me it should always go to the most qualified (regardless of race, gender, etc.)

With that said - I really am disappointed for this for a few reasons. Many might argue that she secured her spot in medicine based on her reputation and it is a sad thing to hear that this was a wasted spot that could have been given to someone who could have became a contributing doctor in society.

I’ve also had family who have participated in some of her camps for young girls in hockey. All of the girls indicated that they felt she didn’t want to be there and came across rude and disingenuous.

As happy as I am for the sport more broadly, I wish the story would have been about another athlete as I’ve heard very few positive things about her as a person outside of what you hear publicly.

As an aside - I’m surprised no one has brought up/jokes about the timing of this relative to Dion’s departure. She did fight his brother Dane in a Bantam game!

wtf?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Thanks for your perspective, and I don't mean to be a dick when I ask this, but what higher level is there in women's hockey than captaining the Canadian Olympic team?

How many, if any, female hockey players could play Men's CIS Hockey?
There is not one female hockey player, past or present that would make a CIS team. CIS is made up of very good players, who usually spent time in the DUB or other levels of higher hockey with contact.

Last edited by soulchoice; 08-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...I really am disappointed for this for a few reasons. Many might argue that she secured her spot in medicine based on her reputation and it is a sad thing to hear that this was a wasted spot that could have been given to someone who could have became a contributing doctor in society...
Many? Who is saying such things? You may not have seen the posted tweet above but Wickenheiser is still studying medicine at U of C. I suspect she is doing so because she intends on practicing at some point.

Quote:
As an aside - I’m surprised no one has brought up/jokes about the timing of this relative to Dion’s departure. She did fight his brother Dane in a Bantam game!
Probably because the timing is not even remotely relative. Phaneuf has not dressed for the Maple Leafs in nearly three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Thanks for your perspective, and I don't mean to be a dick when I ask this, but what higher level is there in women's hockey than captaining the Canadian Olympic team?

How many, if any, female hockey players could play Men's CIS Hockey?
None could play men's CIS hockey. She is known as the Gretzky of women's hockey and she was really bad compared to the rest of our team. It definitely changed my view of women's hockey.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #25
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Med school doesn't seem like the type of thing you do as a part time gig while you hold down another job to me...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #26
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
A couple things:

Glad to see some barriers being broken. To me it should always go to the most qualified (regardless of race, gender, etc.)

With that said - I really am disappointed for this for a few reasons. Many might argue that she secured her spot in medicine based on her reputation and it is a sad thing to hear that this was a wasted spot that could have been given to someone who could have became a contributing doctor in society.

I’ve also had family who have participated in some of her camps for young girls in hockey. All of the girls indicated that they felt she didn’t want to be there and came across rude and disingenuous.

As happy as I am for the sport more broadly, I wish the story would have been about another athlete as I’ve heard very few positive things about her as a person outside of what you hear publicly.

I guess all the smoke from the wildfires are having a pretty negative effect on you reasoning.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #27
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Med school doesn't seem like the type of thing you do as a part time gig while you hold down another job to me...
Sounds like she's a pretty good student, maybe she can handle the workload.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
It might be a hybrid partial deferment extending her program by an extra year. U of C med is an accelerated 3 year program, so going to 4 years is no biggie. There are precedents for a variety of reasons, and a reason why its popular with grad students wanting to concurrently finish their Ph.D.

Can't really comment on her entry merit, but U of C is also known for admitting former high level athletes (eg. Curtis Myden), and a couple token "senior" students who wont complete residency before age 50. I agree this is quite a diminished return on investment relative to a 20 year old, but otherwise, this certainly doesn't mean they were undeserving. I suppose it promotes diversity which U of C appears to be big on.

Last edited by NuclearFart; 08-30-2018 at 10:48 AM.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post: