Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2023, 03:05 PM   #11181
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Lindholm and Hanafin both had career offensive years. Traded for them.
They popped prior to Sutter coming here didn't need Sutter.

Sutter might round guys out but he isn't releasing untapped offensive potential for players that are not producing on other teams.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #11182
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Sutter might round guys out but he isn't releasing untapped offensive potential for players that are not producing on other teams.
Like I said, 20 points in 43 games on the 3rd line, and in the coach’s doghouse.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 03:11 PM   #11183
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Like I said, 20 points in 43 games on the 3rd line, and in the coach’s doghouse.
Maybe if we had a better season but the team is having trouble getting our own players to get going. Just wouldn't be ideal to bring in a guy who needs a spark to get going.

This team isn't worth going through the cap gymnastics and assets to bring on another player.

Brad much said so himself in his interview.

It's best to ride out the season and if they make it great if not well we dodged a bullet by keeping our assets.

The offseason is the time to make some changes.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #11184
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So Sutter can do no good but the big 10.5 million dollar prize gets a pass. I will lean the way of the winner.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #11185
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see that type of skill with Kap like Juice.

I also don't think Calgary is the place for anyone to come to realize their offensive potential. Not under Sutter.
Not even all these guys who have experienced their career years under Sutter?

Johnny Gaudreau
Matthew Tkachuk
Elias Lindholm
Andrew Mangiapane
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Dillon Dube
Oliver Kylington
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Erik Gudbranson
Jacob Markstrom
Tyler Toffoli
Blake Coleman (on pace)
Mikael Backlund (on pace)

The "nobody can score under Darryl" narrative is just plain lazy. Virtually everyone else is doing just fine under Sutter except Huberdeau and Weegar who are use to playing shinny hockey.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #11186
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the goalies who have forgotten how to do that.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #11187
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

Johnny Gaudreau
Matthew Tkachuk
Elias Lindholm
Andrew Mangiapane
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Dillon Dube
Oliver Kylington
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Erik Gudbranson
Jacob Markstrom
Tyler Toffoli
Blake Coleman (on pace)

The "nobody can score under Darryl" narrative is just plain lazy. Virtually everyone else is doing just fine under Sutter except Huberdeau and Weegar who are use to playing shinny hockey.
So you listed one season can you go back in Sutters coaching history and show me career years?

This is a coach known for getting career years out of guys?
Old 02-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #11188
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny Gaudreau
Matthew Tkachuk
Elias Lindholm
Andrew Mangiapane
Rasmus Andersson
Noah Hanifin
Dillon Dube
Oliver Kylington
Chris Tanev
Nikita Zadorov
Erik Gudbranson
Jacob Markstrom
Tyler Toffoli
Blake Coleman (on pace)

I would even dissect that to Weegar and Huberdeau are used to east-west (Royal road type) hockey in the o-zone and Sutter's system is low-high (slot or point shots for screens, tips, rebounds). It seems crazy to say but I think they are still adjusting to how to be successful in Sutter's system.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #11189
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Calling up Wolf doesn’t mean they expect him to lead them anywhere.

If they keep rubbing 25 and 80 out there, they assuredly will not make the playoffs.

If they start Wolf, they might.
You can try and spin it anyway you want but calling up Wolf for non-injury related reasons and playing him is expecting him to lead them somewhere. It means you don't trust your other goalies and you're hoping he can change that.

Quote:
More importantly, they’ll get valuable insight to where he’s at.
They can still do that once their fate is decided. It's not right now as much as you want to believe it is. Like I said, it's not like he'll half ass it if the game doesn't mean anything to the team.

Quote:
If you polled the team privately, I bet over 80% want the kid to get his shot. They saw what Oettinger did last year, they see what he’s doing every night for the Wranglers, and they KNOW with bone-deep certainty the guys on the big club can’t get it done.
I don't doubt the players would like to see him get a shot sometime this year just like any other rookie player. I highly doubt Noah Hanifin is saying to himself "I wouldn't have made that bonehead play on Vegas' third goal if Dustin Wolf was in net. Stupid Vladar".

And like I said above, Oettinger's situation and Wolf's situation isn't the same. Oettinger already had NHL experience before last season.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #11190
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The career year thing applies to some guys (Gaudreau, Lindholm, Zadorov) but some of those guys are simply young players continuing to grow.

Have we seen the best of Mangiapane, Andersson, Hanifin, Dube, or Kylington? We simply don't know yet, but I would bet not.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #11191
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
Not sure how sitting on the bench as a backup helps with development, other then getting NHL shots in practice.
He played 29 games in a 56 game season. So I guess really he was part of a tandem and not even the backup.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:37 PM   #11192
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The career year thing applies to some guys (Gaudreau, Lindholm, Zadorov) but some of those guys are simply young players continuing to grow.

Have we seen the best of Mangiapane, Andersson, Hanifin, Dube, or Kylington? We simply don't know yet, but I would bet not.
The career year stuff is stupid anyway. You usually don't win off they backs of career years but you wabt those high end guys to produce at elite levels. I don't think anyone saw 50 point from Huberdeau coming but he also didn't just magically have 115 points last season he was steady at a PPG range and higher.

Did he turn into the next Travis Moen overnight or does the a coach who has historically coached low scoring teams have something to do with it?

If we are talking career years it was a career year for Sutter in wins points and goals for as well.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #11193
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I would take Kyrou in an instant.
Sutter wouldn't; too small, too young, too much skill.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #11194
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Sutter wouldn't; too small, too young, too much skill.
He sure does hate that Pelletier guy!
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 04:17 PM   #11195
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyrou is 6’1”. Not small.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:24 PM   #11196
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So you listed one season can you go back in Sutters coaching history and show me career years?

This is a coach known for getting career years out of guys?
No, but I can show you the Stanley Cups he’s won.

The point is, Darryl isn’t some kind of offensive black hole. He coaches playoff style hockey, so it’s not unusual to see scoring sometimes dip as a result. But overall, most of the skaters on this team have been very productive.

Also, it wasn’t Sutter’s decision to bring in 2 shinny style hockey players on a team filled with checkers? It’s like trying to mix oil and water together; of course it was going to be a difficult transition.

This has been a question for GMs since forever. Can skilled players adjust their game when the game changes in the playoffs and so far, Huberdeau has played 56 playoff style games and its been a major struggle for him to adjust.

That recent NYR game was probably the closest, but it can’t just be a one off. His agent isn’t going to be there to fire him up for every game. Huberdeau just needs to consistently bring the work boots every game instead of once in a blue moon. It’s on him, he showed he can do it, it’s just a matter of his will.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #11197
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get why Weegar keeps getting mixed into Huberdeau's struggles.

Weegar has been completely fine and has probably been our best dman this season.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-24-2023 at 04:37 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2023, 04:40 PM   #11198
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people on thin ice in the Flames organization.

GM is in limbo. Doesn’t have a contract beyond this season. Signed some big deals with guys that produced F all.

Head coach doesn’t seem to be able to motivate the team. Has an extention.

Team as a whole underachieved. Goalies were weak. Defence prone to boneheaded plays. Forwards can’t score. Powerplay was atrocious.

Something is definitely wrong with the team. If they miss the playoffs I’d expect a few bigger moves. My guess is Treliving will not be back. There will be an injection of youth next season. Sutter 50/50 whether he is back.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:44 PM   #11199
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, but I can show you the Stanley Cups he’s won.

The point is, Darryl isn’t some kind of offensive black hole. He coaches playoff style hockey, so it’s not unusual to see scoring sometimes dip as a result. But overall, most of the skaters on this team have been very productive.

Also, it wasn’t Sutter’s decision to bring in 2 shinny style hockey players on a team filled with checkers? It’s like trying to mix oil and water together; of course it was going to be a difficult transition.

This has been a question for GMs since forever. Can skilled players adjust their game when the game changes in the playoffs and so far, Huberdeau has played 56 playoff style games and its been a major struggle for him to adjust.

That recent NYR game was probably the closest, but it can’t just be a one off. His agent isn’t going to be there to fire him up for every game. Huberdeau just needs to consistently bring the work boots every game instead of once in a blue moon. It’s on him, he showed he can do it, it’s just a matter of his will.
So moving the goal posts?

Sutter is a offensive black hole coach look at the numbers outside that one season. Bottom ranked offences banking on goaltending to go far.

The guys who left couldn't play playoff hockey either. I know you had it in for Huberdeau since he came here and Johnny was some Hall of famer that left but those two did nothing in the playoffs.

I guess what coach Q did wasn't good enough although it got him 3 cups in Chicago.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #11200
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't get why Weegar keeps getting mixed into Huberdeau's struggles.

Weegar has been completely fine and has probably been our best dman this season.
Weegar has been good defensively, but his offensive production has dipped this season.