Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #10781
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
That's a little out of left field.
paraphrasing, Armstrong said he wants a 3-year re-build, not a 7 year re-build
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:46 PM   #10782
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Can confirm that I saw Treliving at the airport and he was on the phone. Hahahaha
can you knock the phone out of his hands?
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 02:51 PM   #10783
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
paraphrasing, Armstrong said he wants a 3-year re-build, not a 7 year re-build
That’s what you can do when you do it in a focused matter.

No guarantee of success, but three years of selling off and losing? Yep.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #10784
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
can you knock the phone out of his hands?
I was too busy watching my kids take pictures with the players. Next time
Old 02-21-2023, 04:13 PM   #10785
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frank on the Fan960 just now - calls Armstrong a killer (and alludes to the fact that Treliving is not, as it's the comparison Frank brought up when discussing Flames potentially "selling"). St. Louis doesn't sit still with mediocre rosters, Armstrong has accepted that they're not a good team right now and willing to do whatever they can to improve going forward including acquiring picks, and possibly using those picks for long term solutions.

A pain point for me is that St. Louis won the Stanley Cup 4 seasons ago, and their young players are better than all of our young players. That's not acceptable work from Treliving. How does St. Louis have Kyrou, Thomas in the big show already as 24 and 23 year olds, while we have nothing near that level in that age range. Not good enough from the management team.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-21-2023 at 04:23 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 04:20 PM   #10786
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perunovich in st. Louis is on a conditioning stint in the ahl right now. They also just got Scandella back. I wonder if they might be looking for a buyer for Faulk, Krug or payrako.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:29 PM   #10787
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN insider trading:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider...e-inqu~2633041

Blues are willing to include 2 1st round picks in a package for Meier
Jets and Vegas also inquired
LeBrun still thinks NJ and Canes are frontrunners

Orlov's name has started appearing on trade chatter
Caps haven't given up on re-signing Orlov
If the Caps get a strong offer they might move him

Unless something goes horribly wrong, Wings will not sell
Wings willing to take the chance they can re-sign Bertuzzi before July 1st

Preds talking calls on many players most notably on Ekholm
Not full on sellers yet, but have begun to investigate the market
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 04:32 PM   #10788
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Frank on the Fan960 just now - calls Armstrong a killer (and alludes to the fact that Treliving is not, as it's the comparison Frank brought up when discussing Flames potentially "selling"). St. Louis doesn't sit still with mediocre rosters, Armstrong has accepted that they're not a good team right now and willing to do whatever they can to improve going forward including acquiring picks, and possibly using those picks for long term solutions.

A pain point for me is that St. Louis won the Stanley Cup 4 seasons ago, and their young players are better than all of our young players. That's not acceptable work from Treliving. How does St. Louis have Kyrou, Thomas in the big show already as 24 and 23 year olds, while we have nothing near that level in that age range. Not good enough from the management team.
Thomas was mid round pick hit, Valimaki was a bust.

Kyrou was actually taken with the pick we moved for Elliott so that one stings a bit.

Thomas was taken in 2017, and Kyrou in 2016. Blues also drafted Kostin and Thompson in those same two drafts - but they were moved.

From the same two drafts the Flames picked: Tkachuk, Fox, Dube, Valimaki, and Ruzicka who are NHLers

Go back to 2015 and the Blues have Dunn and Mikkola as NHLers from that draft...the Flames have Andersson, Kylington, and Mangiapane.

So tough to say they are doing such a better job drafting young talent...unfortunately Fox wouldn't sign, and Tkachuk demanded out, but otherwise we actually drafted better than the Blues in those 2015-2017 drafts.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #10789
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

2 firsts (and maybe more) is a pretty great offer for Meier. I guess he's going to St. Louis.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:42 PM   #10790
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
2 firsts (and maybe more) is a pretty great offer for Meier. I guess he's going to St. Louis.
If NJ and Carolina are the frontrunners, I would assume they offered even more.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 PM   #10791
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If NJ and Carolina are the frontrunners, I would assume they offered even more.
They have some pretty high end prospects not on the nhl team, to add to a first. Both NJ and Carolina.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:53 PM   #10792
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

That’s great but Armstrong has ownership approval to sell. I don’t think that exists for Tre. Our ownership is get in and anything can happen.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #10793
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
They have some pretty high end prospects not on the nhl team, to add to a first. Both NJ and Carolina.
Yeah. Unless one of the firsts in a St Louis pick than the Canes and Devils can beat two late first round picks
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #10794
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get the hyper for Timo. If the Killer wants to trade two firsts for him go ahead.

Frank continues to prove he is an idiot and crybaby if he doesn't report a trade look at the O'Reilly trade saying they suck and should have gotten Kane.

The Blues fired the coach and rode a AHL call up goalie who went on a hot streak to a cup in game 7. What a killer that GM is had a team in last place.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:27 PM   #10795
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Thomas was mid round pick hit, Valimaki was a bust.

Kyrou was actually taken with the pick we moved for Elliott so that one stings a bit.

Thomas was taken in 2017, and Kyrou in 2016. Blues also drafted Kostin and Thompson in those same two drafts - but they were moved.

From the same two drafts the Flames picked: Tkachuk, Fox, Dube, Valimaki, and Ruzicka who are NHLers

Go back to 2015 and the Blues have Dunn and Mikkola as NHLers from that draft...the Flames have Andersson, Kylington, and Mangiapane.

So tough to say they are doing such a better job drafting young talent...unfortunately Fox wouldn't sign, and Tkachuk demanded out, but otherwise we actually drafted better than the Blues in those 2015-2017 drafts.
We draft well, in addition to your post another poster did the math to support this. That's why I don't like moving picks for rentals. For long termers maybe, but...

The players with the most 'give a ####' always seem to be the ones that came up through the system.

This team is not being honest with itself about what it is. Any talk of rentals to patch holes is stupid.

The contracts we signed last summer, while understand why we did it, are stupid. Each has at least 3 years of bad value and NMCs. Why didn't Edwards intervene and stop those if he is so involved in the running of the team? LOL

Sell, sell, sell! Sell high on guys! Package awesome contracts with bad ones. Move guys before MNCs kick in.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 06:01 PM   #10796
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
We draft well, in addition to your post another poster did the math to support this. That's why I don't like moving picks for rentals. For long termers maybe, but...

The players with the most 'give a ####' always seem to be the ones that came up through the system.

This team is not being honest with itself about what it is. Any talk of rentals to patch holes is stupid.

The contracts we signed last summer, while understand why we did it, are stupid. Each has at least 3 years of bad value and NMCs. Why didn't Edwards intervene and stop those if he is so involved in the running of the team? LOL

Sell, sell, sell! Sell high on guys! Package awesome contracts with bad ones. Move guys before MNCs kick in.
It isn't happening man.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 06:14 PM   #10797
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1628201167179112451
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 06:15 PM   #10798
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

Why didn’t Edwards intervene?

He was probably on board and, obviously, signed off on the return for the Tkachuk trade as well as the contract extensions handed out. I would also bet he was well informed on the Kadri pursuit and the moves required to make it happen.

The course to stay in a competitive window, opposed to taking a step back, or full blown rebuild, was almost certainly set by Edwards and Flames ownership.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 06:18 PM   #10799
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
We’ve got a situation!!
Old 02-21-2023, 06:20 PM   #10800
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

A few soon to be disappointed GMs wondering if the Flames are going to become sellers
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote