Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2018, 02:23 AM   #1
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Check out these new laws in California that go into effect on January 1st

California has HUNDREDS of new state laws that go into effect on January 1st. Some very interesting things in here...

FOOD

AB 1884: Plastic straws
Plastic straws are going the way of plastic bags. Dine-in restaurants in the state will be prohibited from giving out single-use plastic straws unless they are requested by a customer. Businesses that don't comply will be fined $25 a day and up to $300 a year.

SB 1192: Children's meals
Restaurants with children's meals can no longer offer sugary drinks, such as juice and soda, as the primary choice in their menus. The default option will be milk, water or flavored water with no added sweeteners. Kids can still order sugary drinks if want.

SB 946: Street food vendors
Street vendors will have more freedom to sell food. Cities and counties will not be able to ban sidewalk vendors but they can set up a licensing system to regulate them. Vendors who violate local laws can only be punished with a fine or citation, and cannot face criminal charges.

SB 1164: Craft distillers
Craft distillers will be able to operate more like wineries. Starting in 2019, small-batch craft distilleries can sell whiskey, vodka and other spirits directly to customers. Right now, consumers must first take a tour or sign up for a tasting to buy alcohol.

SB 1138: Vegetarian meals
There will be more meal options for people in hospitals. Healthcare facilities will now have to offer plant-based meals to patients. Prisons will also be included in the new menu.

AB 626: Home food businesses
Anyone who can cook can start a business under this new law. It allows people to sell food they make in their home kitchens to the public. They can also prepare dinners in their homes for paying guests. The home kitchens must undergo food safety inspections. The food must be sold directly to consumers, and cannot be part of a delivery service.

WORK RULES
Minimum Wage:
The state minimum wage gets another boost to $11 an hour for people working at companies with 25 or fewer employees, and to $12 an hour for those working at companies with 26 or more employees.

AB 1976: Breast milk
Employers must provide an area other than a bathroom for new mothers to express breast milk. The area must be private and within close proximity to the employee's work space.

SB 1252: Work personnel file
Employees wanting a look at their employment records will be able to do more than just see them at their human resources office. They will be able to request a personal copy of their employment file.

SB 826: Women on board of directors
Publicly-traded companies are being put on notice. They must have at least one woman in their board of directors by the end of 2019 and two or more women in their board of directors by 2021.

PETS
AB 2274: Divorce and pets
Judges will be able to decide who gets custody of a family pet during a divorce. The judge will consider factors like who takes care of or feeds the pet.

AB 485: Pet stores
Pet stores will be prohibited from selling live animals like dogs, cats or rabbits that come from breeders. The animals must be obtained from an animal shelter and the store must post the name of the agency where it got the animal.

TRANSPORTATION
AB 2989: Electric scooters
Adults 18 or older will be allowed to ride electric scooters without a helmet. The new law also increases the speed limit for scooters from 25 to 35 mph. It would still be illegal to ride a motorized scooter on a sidewalk.

AB 3077: Helmet use by minors
On the flip side, minors under 18 who are caught riding a bicycle, scooter, skateboard or skates without a helmet will get a citation. Violators can take a safety course to clear the ticket, and show they have a helmet within 120 days of the citation to avoid paying a fine.

AB 1755: Bicycling crashes
Bicyclists could face felony hit-and-run charges if they leave the scene of an accident where someone was injured or died.

SB 1014: Ride-hailing vehicles
Your Uber ride will have to be a cleaner one. Ride-hailing companies will have to meet higher emission standards. Companies like Uber and Lyft will have to increase the number of zero-emission vehicles on its platform and do more to encourage passengers to pool their rides.

AB 2886: Ride-hailing drivers
Ride-hailing apps will be required to provide passengers with the driver's name, picture, image of the vehicle and license plate number.

AB 516: License plates
Auto dealers will now be required to place a temporary license plate on newly purchased vehicles. It is estimated the state loses out on collecting $19 million a year on tolls from recently purchased vehicles that don't have a license plate.

SB 1046: DUI offenders
Starting Jan. 1, 2019 until Jan. 1, 2026, repeat DUI offenders and first-time DUI offenders whose violations cause injury must install an ignition interlock device for anywhere from 12 to 48 months. The law allows anyone who receives a suspension to get a device and receive credit toward the required device restriction period if they're later convicted of a DUI.

The restrictions apply to DUI violations that involve alcohol or alcohol and drug combinations. Courts also have the chance to order first-time DUI offenders who didn't cause injury to install a device for up to six months. If the device is not court-ordered for the first-time offender, then they have the option to apply for a license and get a device requiring them to drive to work and to and from a DUI treatment program for 12 months.

Smog check changes
Vehicles that are eight model years old are now exempt from requiring a smog check compared to the previous law that exempted vehicles at six years. But vehicles that have those additional two years of exemption will have to pay a $25 yearly smog abatement fee. Also, the current $20 smog abatement fee for the first six years of exemption remains unchanged.

Driving for minors
Repeals a juvenile court's ability to suspend, restrict or delay a teen from getting a driver's license if they are constantly absent or a ward of the state.

Unsafe, unsecured loads
The DMV must include at least one question addressing laws regarding driving with an unsafe and unsecure load in at least 20 percent of the test required to get a driver's license. Unsecured loads such as ladders, buckets and other loose items in the back of trucks can be dangerous because they could fall onto the roadway.

AB 2685: Habitual truants
Juvenile court judges will no longer have the ability to suspend the driver's license of a minor who is a habitual truant.

HOV lane decals
Green and white decals that allow low-emission vehicles to use HOV lanes will expire. Vehicles issued green or white decals after January 1, 2017 must apply for a red decal. The DMV will issue purple decals in 2019.

LAW ENFORCEMENT
AB 2504: Police officer LGBTQ training
Police officers and dispatchers must undergo special training to better understand the LGBTQ community. The training will teach officers the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, and how to create an inclusive work environment in police departments.

SB 1421: Police officer records
The veil is being lifted from police officer records. This new law allows inspection of an officer's record during investigations of police shootings, use of force, sexual misconduct, dishonesty or misconduct by an officer.

SB 1391: Teens in prison
Teens under 16 will no longer go to adult prisons. They would be incarcerated in juvenile facilities even if they commit a serious offense.

ENTERTAINMENT
AB 2020: Cannabis events
California is loosening its rules on where people can smoke cannabis. Festivals, museums, nightclubs and other venues will be able to host special events where people can purchase and consume cannabis. Currently, only county fairgrounds are allowed to host these special events.

AB 2215: Pets & Cannabis
Veterinarians will be allowed to discuss the use of cannabis with their clients, but vets will not be allowed to administer cannabis to animals.

LGBTQ
SB 179: Gender of driver's license
A person applying for a driver's license or an identification card can choose a gender category of male, female or non-binary. Anyone wishing to change their gender can make an appointment after January 2, 2019.

TECHNOLOGY
SB 822: Net neutrality
Even though California passed a net neutrality law, don't get carried away with streaming videos just yet. Internet service providers like Comcast and AT&T cannot block, slow down or charge to use these websites. The new law guarantees equal access to streaming services and websites that require higher bandwidths and prohibits ISPs from exempting their own services from data caps. This is all great for consumers, but it is on hold for now. California has agreed not to enforce the law until a lawsuit challenging the FCC's decision to reverse Obama era net neutrality rules is resolved in federal court.

ENVIRONMENT
SB 100: Green energy
Under this new law, public utilities must implement a plan to incorporate renewable energy resources. The goal is to generate 60% of the state's electricity from sources like wind and solar by 2030, and 100% from climate-friendly resources by 2045. (SB 100)

AB 1775 & SB 834: Offshore oil production
This is California's pushback on the Trump administration's decision to lift a ban on new oil drilling off the coast. The law prohibits the California State Lands Commission from approving or renewing leases for the construction of pipelines and docks that could be used to increase the production of oil and natural gas in federal waters.

EDUCATION
AB 1974: High school diplomas
Public schools can't withhold high school diplomas for students with past-due bus fares, overdue library books or unpaid uniforms.

AB 3922: Deported students
Retroactively grants high school diplomas to seniors who have been deported.

ELECTIONS
AB 216: Mail-in ballots
Election departments must now include a return envelope with prepaid postage for vote-by-mail ballots.

SB 568: Presidential primary
Moves up California's 2020 primary to the first Tuesday in March to have more influence in the presidential primaries.

GUNS
SB 1100: Firearm sales to minors
The minimum age to buy a rifle or shotgun in California increases from 18 to 21 years. Anyone under 21 wanting to buy a rifle or shotgun must do so before January 20, 2019 and pick up the firearm before the law is implemented on February 1st.

AB 2103: Concealed weapons
Consumers wanting a license to carry a concealed weapon in public must undergo 8 hours of firearms training.

AB 1525: Firearms warning labels
Firearms will come with warning labels that state, "Firearms must be handled responsibly and securely stored to prevent access by children and unauthorized users." The warnings will also be posted at gun stores.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

California - great state, or the greatest state?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

$19 million in lost tolls from newly purchased vehicles without a plate. That seems like a lot of money for vehicles fitting this category.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping for more stupid laws like the mandatory labeling that everything contains a carcinogen regardless of dose.

Outside of the straw law most of those make sense.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
$19 million in lost tolls from newly purchased vehicles without a plate. That seems like a lot of money for vehicles fitting this category.
I’m quite sure not all of them are *actually* newly purchased from a dealer, but there are a surprising amount of plate-less vehicles down there. Based on what i’ve seen down there over my lifetime, $19 million lost seems low.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're actually allowed to go without a plate on a new car for six months in California. They probably figured out that was a bit much.

Great state. That's why everybody wants to live there.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember hearing something about Steve Jobs swapping cars every 6 months due to this, I'm sure lots of others have taken advantage in the same way.

Quote:
According to Jon Callas, CTO of Entrust, and someone who has done senior security roles for Apple before, Steve Jobs found a loophole of sorts in California license plate laws. If you had a new car, you could drive plateless for 6 months (of course, you still had to register). So Jobs, being rich beyond belief, decided he would just lease a new car every 6 months. He came to terms with a leasing company and switched out his 'old' Mercedes SL55 AMG for a 'new' Mercedes SL55 AMG twice a year.
Also, I like the concept of the stepped minimum wage based on company size.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last one on the list seems rather pointless to me and only something a beaurocrat would come up with.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one was my favourite:

AB 1974: High school diplomas
Public schools can't withhold high school diplomas for students with past-due bus fares, overdue library books or unpaid uniforms.

Seems reasonable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The law that requires employers to provide a separate space (not a bathroom) to allow breast feeding could end up costing tons of money in renovations.

I like the pet law where all pet stores must have animals from shelters, and it must say which shelter.

The law that requires municipalities to provide utilities from only renewable resources sucks for any future natural gas power plant construction.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The law that requires employers to provide a separate space (not a bathroom) to allow breast feeding could end up costing tons of money in renovations.

I like the pet law where all pet stores must have animals from shelters, and it must say which shelter.

The law that requires municipalities to provide utilities from only renewable resources sucks for any future natural gas power plant construction.
How many people are bringing their babies to work? That seems like the worst part of the whole scenario.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
How many people are bringing their babies to work? That seems like the worst part of the whole scenario.
I don't think they get the same maternity leave benefits we do in Canada (like a few months) and then mothers need to go back to work. They get a sitter for the kid but still need milk for them for the next day.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerplunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could use the space to pump milk too. Would be a drag doing that in the bathroom. And as I just recently learned it must be done quite often.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
I don't think they get the same maternity leave benefits we do in Canada (like a few months) and then mothers need to go back to work. They get a sitter for the kid but still need milk for them for the next day.
Ah, okay. I understand that now. That's not bad.

Clearly, I don't have experience with this parenthood thing.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #15
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Exactly. My daughter in Minnesota got 3 months maternity leave.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #16
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
California - great state, or the greatest state?
Great to visit. Could never live there
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You're actually allowed to go without a plate on a new car for six months in California. They probably figured out that was a bit much.

Great state. That's why everybody wants to live there.
You can have it.

I spent about 2 years there in the early 1990s. It's 100% the worst place I have ever lived. Would never go back permanently.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #18
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
You can have it.

I spent about 2 years there in the early 1990s. It's 100% the worst place I have ever lived. Would never go back permanently.
Say they guys from Arizona and Montana...

J/k each to their own. Not everywhere is a good fit for everyone.

I’ve been here for 5 years, and basically can’t believe it took me my whole life to get here. This place is amazing.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Environment seems too fragile to consider living there, too much potential for drought and water issues. Perhaps that's paranoia, but despite the progressive lifestyle in California I would live in worry. To each their own though.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Great to visit. Could never live there
On weather alone I'd choose it over Arizona 100/100 times. Ok, maybe 99/100.