Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #441
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be itneresting to see if they make it transparent to the general public, or just to the families that are directly impacted
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #442
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it will be itneresting to see if they make it transparent to the general public, or just to the families that are directly impacted
Even if it was just to the people involved that'd be fine, knowing there'd likely be someone willing to raise a red flag if somethings suspicious. I just do not trust any charities anymore
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #443
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I lived there I'd offer my services free of charge to chair a committee and spearhead the planning and dispersal of these funds. It would be an honour to serve in this way and I have the expertise.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #444
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a reputable firm that is handling the disbursements, on a pro-bono basis:

Quote:
MLT Aikins LLP law firm will be working pro bono to help the Broncos “bring together the right teams of professionals” to work on distributing the money.
Can they use the funds to create some sort of Legacy Trust that will not only assist those who were impacted but also supports future initiatives to help keep their memory alive (via scholarships, etc)? Smaller lump sum amounts to help cover off initial expenses, ongoing funds to cover ongoing expenses, and anything left over to be invested to support other programs?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #445
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure if they can set up a legacy fund or not - i suppose one has to ask the question about what are the expectations of those who donated?

like i said, lots of questions on how to deal with all of this money.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #446
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Go Fund Me is basically a platform to give money without strings attached. The expectations of the donors doesn't really play a role in normal circumstances. That being said, given how many eyes will be on this, it's obvious that things are most likely to be handled on the up and up. Also, if some of the money is left over after dealing with funeral and primary care expenses went to a memorial scholarship fund, I doubt many people would have an issue with that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #447
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The go fund me will be shut down shortly. Plans are in place to establish a trust for the money. Seems like they are doing things the right way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...nced-1.4622226
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #448
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad the law firm has offered their services. While I'm sure the woman who started it had good intentions, I think the scope of things has gone way beyond a regular person to sort out.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #449
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
$11.3mil GoFundMe now. This isn't meant to take anything away and means nothing at all in the grand scheme of things, but I hadn't noticed that it is $11.3 CDN, while the other top ones are all in US dollars.

I had assumed all GoFundMe's were displayed in USD and that they were about to pass the Vegas shooting one. Either way it's been just incredible. Also of note is that those donations have come from 65 countries!
What is the money intended for? Is it split up among the families? I keep hearing all kinds of money is being raised but was never sure what exactly the money was going towards.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #450
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
What is the money intended for? Is it split up among the families? I keep hearing all kinds of money is being raised but was never sure what exactly the money was going towards.
That is why the organization has brought in legal council, to help them decide how best to proceed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #451
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statement from the team president regarding the funds:

Quote:
The funds donated through the GoFundMe campaign will be transferred to a newly created non-profit corporation known as “Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund Inc.” to be allocated for their intended purpose. An advisory committee is being established to make a recommendation for the allocation of these funds, which will be held in trust until that allocation occurs. Once we have formalized the composition of this committee, we will provide you with an update.

The Broncos have been humbled, and our spirits buoyed, by the staggering number of individuals and groups wanting to make donations, or holding fundraisers to support our organization, as we deal with this unprecedented crisis. In order to accommodate these incoming funds, the Humboldt Broncos, together with legal counsel Robertson Stromberg, have launched the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation.

The mission of the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation will be to support Humboldt Broncos’ players, employees, families, and volunteers, as well as first responders and emergency services personnel, teams, athletes, related organizations and communities affected by the crash of the Humboldt Broncos team bus on April 6, 2018, and the aftermath thereof.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #452
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am glad to see that things are being handled properly. I'll warrant there were internet jackasses lurking in the shadows just waiting to pounce if they funds were not being handled with this level of transparency.

I was also glad to see the spirit of Calgary come alive with all the sticks on front porches. Great job guys.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #453
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When you scroll through the donors list, its really cool to see the variety in donors.

- Single people names with donations of $5 and $10. People giving what they can, or little kids donating their allowance or piggy bank money.

- Big corporations and professional hockey teams donating tens of thousands.

- Amateur sports teams, men's league rec teams, high schools.

- Car dealerships, insurance branches, grocery stores, local Legions, etc. I saw Original Joes Aveneda location donated today.

From all over Canada and the world. Small towns, big cities. The level of support is amazing.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #454
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I am glad to see that things are being handled properly. I'll warrant there were internet jackasses lurking in the shadows just waiting to pounce if they funds were not being handled with this level of transparency.

I was also glad to see the spirit of Calgary come alive with all the sticks on front porches. Great job guys.
Ha ha, a couple days ago there was a jackass or two posting in the comments about how people should stop donating cause the $ value was getting too high and should be donating to something else, then promoting their cause and a link.

Luckily with the number of comments, these get bumped off the main page pretty fast.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #455
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm glad the law firm has offered their services. While I'm sure the woman who started it had good intentions, I think the scope of things has gone way beyond a regular person to sort out.
I saw an interview with the two women that started the GoFundMe.

In short they said they just wanted to to help with the initial day to day costs, parking, coffee/meals for families, etc. They never foresaw this happening and growing to this size.

They have no desire/skill to disburse these funds.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #456
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #457
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

In this weeks Star Metro transportation minister Brian Mason says he's taking a " good, hard look" at possible changes to commercial licensing after learning the truck driver had his class 1 license less than a year and was now pulling 2 trailers.

I live next door to a DOT officer and he told it's probable more than half of big rig drivers in Canada couldn't pass a real road test and it's because there's a lot of shady companies handing out licenses and has lobbied for years to return the final test directly to the provinces.

I agree with him and like a pilot I think truck drivers should also have to graduate to size of trucks/weight with experience. Believe it or not there are a lot of people driving a semi on our highways who can't even back the thing up!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #458
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I live next door to a DOT officer and he told it's probable more than half of big rig drivers in Canada couldn't pass a real road test and it's because there's a lot of shady companies handing out licenses and has lobbied for years to return the final test directly to the provinces.
Companies can license their own drivers? Didn't know that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #459
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Companies can license their own drivers? Didn't know that.
Not quite. But a company can have an "instructor" licensed by the province hand them out, this happened because of a language barrier.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #460
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Having driven basically the biggest vehicle possible with a class 5 licence (5 ton truck with a 30 foot gooseneck trailer), I can tell you that extra training definitely needs to be in place when the vehicles get that big. It’s conpketely different than driving a passenger car. It’s more than just the size of the vehicle.