Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #421
Knut

Exp:

A very good friend of mine lost her Cousin in this accident. He was one of the players.

She said that all the attention is double-edged.

The support shown by people has been really complimentary and touching for the family (green ribbons on the trees in his home town, the Sticks out on the porches, the Jersey day and messages from the sporting world have all been positive). I know that the mother of the victim really found Crosby's gesture (the signed jersey) personally touching. I think having a large number of people mourn with you has to provide some comfort.

The Media aspect of it is the hard part. It is everywhere and you can not really avoid it. All your coworkers know about it as well. The other aspect is that once the media moves onto something else how will the families react. It has served as somewhat of a distraction.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #422
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^I suspect the families will probably appreciate it when the media attention moves on. The immediate distraction is probably ... well, nice isn't the right word ... but being able to continue grieving in private will likely be important to them going forward.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #423
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just a note that last nights 50/50 take at the Hurricanes/Wheat Kings game was over $25,000 ...all of it going to the Humboldt team.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #424
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think the Bruins may have done something as well, if I read the screen outside their arena correctly.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #425
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa Bay Lightning 50/50 on Thursday, game 1 vs NJ, raised close to $64,000 for Humboldt.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #426
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i haven't seen this in this thread yet...

https://www.kelownanow.com/news/news...boldt_Broncos/

wow - just awesome! what a way to pay respect to a colleague

Quote:
Big name broadcasters are coming forward to do play-by-play for the Humboldt Broncos

Canadian broadcasters are stepping forward to pay tribute to one of their own who was lost in last Friday’s Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

As people put sticks out on their porch and wore jerseys on Thursday to honour the team, the broadcast community is coming together to specifically pay tribute to Bieber.

It started with a Thursday morning tweet from Les Lazaruk, play-by-play voice for the Saskatoon Blades. Lazaruk said he wanted to honour Bieber’s memory by calling a Humboldt Broncos game when the team resumed playing for the 2018-19 season.

“There are 58 regular season games in 2018-19 and I hope 57 other broadcasters step up and do the same in Tyler Bieber’s memory.”

While he specifically called upon former Broncos’ announcers to do a game, his plea reached much further than that.

Some of the biggest broadcasters in the country quickly stepped forward and volunteered their services. That includes Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, Dave Randorf, Joey Kenward, Dean Brown, Rob Faulds, Peter Loubardias, John Bartlett, Darren Dreger, Darren Pang and many more, most of which spend their time exclusively working NHL games.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #427
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

$11.3mil GoFundMe now. This isn't meant to take anything away and means nothing at all in the grand scheme of things, but I hadn't noticed that it is $11.3 CDN, while the other top ones are all in US dollars.

I had assumed all GoFundMe's were displayed in USD and that they were about to pass the Vegas shooting one. Either way it's been just incredible. Also of note is that those donations have come from 65 countries!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #428
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

One of our own has set up a way for everyone to help, and get some nice stuff while doing so.

Again, well done Zunie.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=168212
Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #429
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think the Bruins may have done something as well, if I read the screen outside their arena correctly.
Bruins gave $200,000 to the “Humboldt Broncos community”. Thought that was a slightly strange way to put it. Like, town of Humboldt? Just the team? Community of people involved with the team?

Anyway, very generous donation.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #430
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was a touching gesture by the Esteban bruins to stop at the intersection where the accident happened.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #431
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, AHL broadcasters are going silent for the first 16 seconds of broadcasts and letting Broncs' PbP guy a Tyler Bieber have the honour.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAHL/st...037952/video/1

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 04-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #432
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first I thought the sticks outside of houses was a bit silly but the more I've seen them more I began to like it as a sign of support.

Tonight I put two sticks outside, and they're two sticks I thought I'd packed away for good. They belonged to my 6 year old son who I lost last year.

So to all the parents who lost their children, I know a stick leaning against my garage door doesn't take away an ounce of pain, but know at least that the gesture is coming from my own painful place and is a sign of love and support.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 83 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
3thirty, 8sPOT, Bagor, bc-chris, billybob123, Burninator, burn_this_city, calgarybornnraised, cam_wmh, CedarMeter, Chingas, chummer, Coach, corporatejay, Cowboy89, CroFlames, CsInMyBlood, cupofjoe, Dan02, delayedreflex, DeluxeMoustache, Demzy84, devo22, dino7c, Dion, djsFlames, Draug, emti, Flambé, flamesfan1297, flamestar16, Flaming Choy, Flashpoint, Fuzz, GioforPM, GirlySports, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, H2SO4(aq), Hey Connor, It's Mess, Huntingwhale, indes, jayswin, Jiri Hrdina, killer_carlson, KootenayFlamesFan, Lanny'sDaMan, looooob, Lord Carnage, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, Machiavelli, mikephoen, nwflamesfan, Nyah, PepsiFree, PostandIn, rayne008, red sky, redforever, RoadGame, Robo, RyZ, Saint Troy, Save Us Sutter, schteve_d, Scroopy Noopers, Slacker, slybomb, Split98, Strange Brew, taco.vidal, terryclancy, TheGingerbeardMan, timbit, transplant99, tvp2003, undercoverbrother, verda13, woob, Wormius, wwkayaker, Yrebmi
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #433
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
At first I thought the sticks outside of houses was a bit silly but the more I've seen them more I began to like it as a sign of support.

Tonight I put two sticks outside, and they're two sticks I thought I'd packed away for good. They belonged to my 6 year old son who I lost last year.

So to all the parents who lost their children, I know a stick leaning against my garage door doesn't take away an ounce of pain, but know at least that the gesture is coming from my own painful place and is a sign of love and support.
I am just speechless from this post. I don’t really have anything to say but wanted to do more than “thank it”.

Thank you for bravery in sharing this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #434
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Sorry for your loss to start. I like the idea of it too, but there are some crummy people out there. I have heard of a lot of these sticks being put out being stolen. If these are something that you cherish in the memory of your son, then I'd bring them in and keep them safe. Buy a cheap stick online or at Canadian Tire if you want to show your support. Again, my second time having to say in this thread that I don't want to be Mr. Stick-in-the-mud, but it could be a painful loss for you and I'd hate to "see" it.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #435
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To what schteve said above, if anybody needs a stick just let me know. I have a bunch of them.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #436
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snowbirds perform Missing Man formation in tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4s&v...VU&app=desktop
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #437
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

over the weekend the news was reproting that a law firm in SK was going to work to help disburse the funds from the gofundme. to me this becomes a pretty complex issue to sort out ans a few questions that came to my mind are:

- the adults that died had familises to support, and were earning a wage, do they get more money than the boys that passed away, as presumably the boys that passed away had no family to take care of yet
- do the families of the boys that passed away get just get funeral expenses, do their families get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses as well? do the families of the boys that passed get a lump sum in addition to burial expenses?
- does the one player who walked away get a lump sum, or do you just ensure that any mental needs he may have are taken care of and the long term needs of other players - like srtazinski (sp?) will likely be greater given his injuries
- how do you factor in a future insurance payments as i would assume the trucking company had some insurance and there will be something there in the future

thsoe are a few questions that quickly came to my mind and i am sure there are more.

this is a complicated situation and it will be itneresting to see how it is sorted out. furthermore, what if some parties disagree with how the disbursement is handled.

Last edited by Northendzone; 04-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #438
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
how do you factor in a future insurance payments as i would assume the trucking company had some insurance

Sask is a no-fault province.

The insurance of the trucking company doesn't come into play with the injuries I believe.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #439
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 04-16-2018 at 12:25 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #440
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
over the weekend the news was reproting that a law firm in SK was going to work to help disburse the funds from the gofundme. to me this becomes a pretty complex issue to sort out ans a few questions that came to my mind are:

- the adults that died had familises to support, and were earning a wage, do they get more money than the boys that passed away, as presumably the boys that passed away had no family to take care of yet
- do the families of the boys that passed away get just get funeral expenses, do their families get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses as well? do the families of the boys that passed get a lump sum in addition to burial expenses?
- does the one player who walked away get a lump sum, or do you just ensure that any mental needs he may have are taken care of and the long term needs of other players - like srtazinski (sp?) will likely be greater given his injuries
- how do you factor in a future insurance payments as i would assume the trucking company had some insurance and there will be something there in the future

thsoe are a few questions that quickly came to my mind and i am sure there are more.

this is a complicated situation and it will be itneresting to see how it is sorted out. furthermore, what if some parties disagree with how the disbursement is handled.
My biggest fear about any charity, but especially when we're talking about this amount of money, is dirtbags pocketing something. I'd really hope that whatever happens with the money that it's very transparent
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote